Prevent logging of archived Waymark

Q10

So you're getting visit notes on waymarks since you dropped out? A search engine can find the archived waymarks as they still exist. I see that you once has a featured waymark for The National Park Caldera de Taburiente (La Palma/Canary Islands), which I would predict is still there, but you archived for some reason. So someone doing research on a playground could still find your waymark - and create a replacement one, which appears to have been done.

Now how the visit is being posted is another question since archiving should disable new entries. I see that 7/27/2013 visit was made to a long archived waymark, so that might be a question for the technical experts. But is there a problem? Someone gave you a gift of letting you know that your work from several years ago is still relevent.

Here is the answer from Groundspeak:

There is unfortunately no way to prevent people from logging a waymark once you have posted it. The archival will remove it from searches and view without a direct link, but people may be maintaining an offline database of waymarks they want to visit and accessing these via that means.

So I hope, that when they are removed from searches, I can have my email free from further mails. Of course I am glad people like my waymarks, but there ought to be a way of dropping out of this business.

So I hope, that when they are removed from searches, I can have my email free from further mails. Of course I am glad people like my waymarks, but there ought to be a way of dropping out of this business.

Would deleting your email from your Waymarking profile prevent the visit log notifications from being sent to you? May be a dumb question, I was just wondering. Surely there's a way to opt out.

Visit email subject lines always start with [WMK]. You could add a filter rule for this in your email client.

Invalidating the email address in the Groundspeak profile would also affect Geocaching activities. So this is only an option if you want to opt out of all Groundspeak games.

Edited by fi67

Actually, my first thought when I saw your topic, was the same as thegorilla23: why?

With a little bit more information, my second thought was: take your email off of your profile. But then I realized that it is all connected through Groundspeak. Unless I'm missing something, you can't have an email in your Geocaching profile and not have it show up on your Waymarking profile.

Which brings me to my suggestion: If you are finished with Waymarking, but are still active at Geocaching, classify email from Waymarking as "junk e-mail", so that it doesn't even get to your inbox. I personally use Outlook for my e-mail and know that it has that function. In fact, I have 5 sub-folders dedicated to Geocaching and Waymarking in Outlook. I have one for logs on my geocaches, one for DNFs on my geocaches (easier to identify possible maintenance issues), one for waymarks (I don't separate visits, confirmations, and approvals), one for declined waymarks (so they're easy to find and fix, as appropriate), and one for player e-mails and other general geocaching stuff. Seems like treating Waymarking e-mails as junk e-mail would be the least frustrating way for you to go.

I think that might be another big difference between Geocaching and Waymarking - when you decide you're done Geocaching, the two legitimate options are either offer your geocaches up for adoption or just archive them. If you archive them, you are opening up an area where another geocache could be hidden by someone else. In Waymaring, I don't think you can offer up waymarks for adoption; and I don't see the point in archiving a waymark, even if the site/object being waymarked no longer exists. The waymark is a record of its existence - at least at some point in time. Archiving a waymark, means that someone else has to (or maybe gets to - depending on your point of view) redo all of the work you've already done, which may or may not happen. To be honest, most of the waymarks I've created are because I was drawn to an area that already had a waymark I came to visit. Your waymark might have been the beacon someone else needed to come explore the area. The only time I've used the archive function in Waymarking is when a submission was declined and there is no way to make it work. At that point, I don't see any reason to keep it.