How come people don't add pictures with TB's?

JingleBella

I know some people do, but it seems not many. I've come across trackables that have gone thousands and thousands of miles but have no pictures other than the original one from the owner.

One I have in my hand right now started in the US, went to Germany then came to Canada. Not one person has taken a picture of it. That's so sad to me. :(

I know some people do, but it seems not many. I've come across trackables that have gone thousands and thousands of miles but have no pictures other than the original one from the owner.

One I have in my hand right now started in the US, went to Germany then came to Canada. Not one person has taken a picture of it. That's so sad to me. :(

We're lazy. When I started caching I used to take pictures of every TB I found, but rarely do anymore. Sometimes there are no pictures at all, not even one from the owner; sometimes it would have been nice to know what the TB looked like when it started out.

In my case, it's almost always because I didn't take a picture when I found it, and I forgot to take a picture before I dropped it. I accept NanCycle's use of the term "lazy" to describe myself in this regard, but I actually think it's a little more fundamental than that, meaning that even if I weren't lazy, I doubt I'd file many more TB pictures. The main problem is that I have to both come up with a good idea for a picture -- see a good view, for example -- and think of the TB at same time. Too often I don't think of the TB until I'm at a good place to drop it.

So the only answer is to keep encouraging people, I guess. I know I'm proud of myself when I actually do remember!

Simply put, there is not a function in the mobile app to add a photo to the log. I log trackables on the fly and rarely bother going to the computer to upload the photo to the cloud from my phone then go to edit the log so that I can put the photo in. I don't know why they don't have an 'attach photo' option when logging a TB...just like they do for logging a cache.

Edited by J Grouchy

Simply put, there is not a function in the mobile app to add a photo to the log. I log trackables on the fly and rarely bother going to the computer to upload the photo to the cloud from my phone then go to edit the log so that I can put the photo in. I don't know why they don't have an 'attach photo' option when logging a TB...just like they do for logging a cache.

They do on the iPhone app...

good for you. as for the rest of us...

What app are you using? Must not be the Groundspeak one. Get the Groundspeak one. Assuming you have an Apple device considering you said "upload the photo to the cloud". I wonder if the free Groundspeak one allows TB drops? They've just updated it I've read.

What app are you using? Must not be the Groundspeak one. Get the Groundspeak one. Assuming you have an Apple device considering you said "upload the photo to the cloud". I wonder if the free Groundspeak one allows TB drops? They've just updated it I've read.

Ummm...Apple does not have exclusive rights to "the cloud". By that I meant 'Dropbox' or 'Box' or 'Google Drive'.

I do have the GC app. This is the screen for logging a cache...notice the "attach photo" option:

y8f0.png

...and this is the screen for logging a trackable...notice the ABSENCE of that option:

t75d.png

I also use c:geo...and that one is the same way. No option for uploading a picture.

I try to, but often if I'm travelling I don't have time or access to a PC to do the deed. Having said that, a TB I picked up in Canada last week came caching with me this weekend; we found more than ten caches and I visited it into each one, with one or two photos and a story with each visit! That is what I try to do, but you can't always and of ourselves, rarely is it acknowledged. I guess I don't do it for the rude and ignorant owner then, but all the other catchers along the way to enjoy the journey through the logs.

I try to remember to add photos of TB I find, move and log... often times it's just cuz I forget to snap a pic of it. I cache with my phone, so I have a camera with me all the time. I often forget that point and don't end up taking the pic. I have just added 2 TB to my collection, these ones will be staying with me. I don't expect many pics on them, but I now need to remember them when I find a cache, so I can mark them as visiting... In short, my TB likely will only have the original pics I upload for them, but will not be opposed to others who want to take pics to upload.

I know that my first TB found, had asked specifically on the TB page for pics to be taken while the TB was on its travels. I was one of a few that actually did take and upload pics.

So I think that it may not be so much as being lazy as it would be forgetfulness. We live in an age where our cell phones can do almost as much as the average home computer. Our cell phones have become and continue to evolve into the ultimate multi-tasking device with GPS, Cameras, basic phone functions, internet, etc. Even with all that at our fingertips, we often still think of our cell phone as just that, a phone, that device you have to make and receive calls from. The younger generations not so much, but my generation (I'm 34) and older don't always remember that they have a camera on their phone till after they have left the area.

In short, GC.com makes it too complicated to add pictures.

Shaun

From the computer it is no more complicated than any other site I have uploaded a pic to... from the phone through my caching apps, it is near impossible... with the internet access from the phone it is difficult at best, but not impossible. I think a trackable dedicated app could make it worlds easier to find, log, activate, add pics, or what ever else we need/want to do with TB/coins.

I have often asked that question, and started a thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313961&st=0&p=5293176&fromsearch=1entry5293176 on the topic of a trackable specific app.

I have often asked that question, and started a thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313961&st=0&p=5293176&fromsearch=1entry5293176 on the topic of a trackable specific app.

I would only support a trackable specific app if Groundspeak implemented better ways of logging trackables, marking them missing, organizing cache inventories, etc. Otherwise, this app would only be another way of leading to disappointment for people actively seeking trackable items.

The next time you find a TB that hasn't a picture on it's home page. Check and see if there are any photos in their gallery.

If there are. The chances are that they didn't click the ' make this my default' button and ended up with the photo in the gallery.

I've done that and it was only through this forum that I found out how simple it was to correct my error. :)

Another thought is treat cachers like you'd like to be treated. I've only had 4 photos on all of my TBs. Too which I've dropped a mail and said thank you. The same goes for people who move them on.

I don't know how many TB's I've dipped and added photos to. But I do know how many replies I've had.......

I currently have one in a race wanting points for visits and photos. Which I've done. I emailed the owner with a question. Have I had a reply?........

Lets be the happy smiley ones who post photos, say thank you. And even put more than TFTC on a log.

You never know it might just catch on. :D

Shaun

Yep. That's it in a nutshell. Too much work to do it. Crop photo. Resize. Save. Upload photo. Rename.

Not to say that I haven't... If the goal is interesting, I might go for it.

I went to an event to pick up Arnold Zeffel. (And I do NOT drive a night!) But Arnold wanted to visit the Statue of Liberty, and I could help him!

52c2bdce-d268-4998-9872-7d153464408a.jpg

Bandaged Bear wanted to visit hospitals, so I helped him. Another TB wanted to visit the New York Times. No problem. (I also took him to the M&M Mars plant in Hackettstown to visit his relatives.) Those are fun! Takes sometime and effort...

"Hey. I want to travel." Nope. Not going to take the time and effort to work through the photos and uploading.

Shaun

Horsecrap. You're lazy.

As I mentioned (and posted screencaps), it IS too complicated to add photos from a mobile device...at least in the sense that mobile devices are SUPPOSED TO BE CONVENIENT. It's not possible from the app itself, which means either going to a computer to complete the upload or trying to navigate the website (which is not at all mobile device friendly) from a tiny screen.

Shaun

Horsecrap. You're lazy.

As I mentioned (and posted screencaps), it IS too complicated to add photos from a mobile device...at least in the sense that mobile devices are SUPPOSED TO BE CONVENIENT. It's not possible from the app itself, which means either going to a computer to complete the upload or trying to navigate the website (which is not at all mobile device friendly) from a tiny screen.

I must have missed your Fix the mobile apps so we can post TB photos easier thread.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Shaun

Horsecrap. You're lazy.

I must have missed your Fix the mobile apps so we can post TB photos easier thread.

bd

I was answering the OPs question about why folks don't generally add photos to TB logs.

None of the apps I've used offer the feature and I'm not inclined to pursue it. The GC app is inferior in many ways to other apps, both API and non-API...and this is one of them. I'd be more likely to create a "Ways in which the GC app is inferior" thread.

Edited by J Grouchy

Shaun

Horsecrap. You're lazy.

bd

I was answering the OPs question about why folks don't generally add photos to TB logs.

None of the apps I've used offer the feature and I'm not inclined to pursue it. The GC app is inferior in many ways to other apps, both API and non-API...and this is one of them. I'd be more likely to create a "Ways in which the GC app is inferior" thread.

I was answering the OP as well and you decided to complain about your apps. Not sure why I should care.

no pictures other than the original one from the owner.

Often my log has the only photo ever posted of the TB. The TB Owner didn't post one. :anicute:

I know. This happens to me all the time. I post a photo and it's the only one in the gallery. Drives me crazy! Then I reviewed one of my bug pages and it turns out I forget to upload a photo for it. Duh!

I take, at a minimum, one pickup photo and one dropoff photo of each and every bug that I move.

I don't visit bugs unless I have a photo of them there too. And any other photos that I deem interesting or worthy, my gallery is mostly bug photos (1333 pictures as of now)

It's actually very easy to post pics for me because the iPhone app allows it. But the iPhone only allows one pic to be uploaded. So I have to upload more via safari which I can also easily do via my iPhone or iPad.

However....it wasn't hard before I could do that via the iPhone/iPad. I used to have to: take photo with iPhone, email photos to email, open up my archaic and craptastic windows based laptop, and then upload the photos to the site,

Seriously. It's not hard.