Pocket Query problem

W8TTS

I can't say for sure whether I'm talking about the same problem, but I regularly -- about 1 out of 10 times, I'd say -- have pocket queries run after which the checkmark is not cleared, so the same pocket query runs once more a week later without me requesting it. That just happened to me yesterday, in fact. It's happened enough that I'm sure it's a bug rather than something I'm doing wrong. I sometimes go through my PQ list just to clear any such dangling checkmarks.

It happens to me on normal pocket queries. I rarely run pocket queries based on bookmark lists, so I cannot claim to have seen it in that case. For a while I thought it had something to do with running multiple queries on the same day, but further experience has disproved that theory.

On yours, I can see evidence that you created the "Crockett" PQ on 8/26 and that it ran twice, including yesterday. I've never seen this behavior with any PQ I've set up to run once, so I'm wondering what might be the trigger to cause this behavior...

Yes, "Crockett" is the PQ I was talking about. Thanks for checking. Although that first run on 8/26 happened to be just after I created that PQ, this also happens to me every week or two on PQs I've run many times before.

For example, I ran one old and frequently queued PQ, "Pleasanton", last Wednesday, and I just now noticed the checkmark didn't clear, so it's scheduled to run again tomorrow. I won't touch it in case that gives someone something they can look at.

In case it helps, I always schedule a PQ by checking the day-of-the-week box in the list of all PQs, never by clicking day of the week in the PQ's individual page. In addition, I almost always run PQs immediately, i.e., I check today's box. And one last datapoint, I always leave my PQs set up for the default run-once-then-clear mode: I have no PQs set up to run every week, so I never check that box.

I've gotten used to this, so it's no big deal, but I'll be happy to do whatever I can to help track it down.

Every few days, I run a series of four pocket queries that collectively cover a 60-mile radius around my home coordinates. When all four pocket queries have been generated, the last of the four pocket queries (in the order I checked them) will always still have the box checked on the Web page. The first three always have their boxes unchecked. If I don't remember to manually uncheck the box for that fourth pocket query, that pocket query will always run a week later.

This has been going on for several years, and it's an old bug that has never been squashed in spite of it being reported a number of times on these forums.

--Larry

Edited to add that I never set up pocket queries to run on the same day every week, and I never generate pocket queries by checking the day of the week on the individual pocket query's page.

Edited by larryc43230

Larry, I know you've reported this before, but we simply cannot reproduce this behavior.

I've now set up 4 run-once-and-uncheck PQs that I will test with. In the first attempt yesterday, they all properly unchecked. Do you have yours set up to deliver .zip files? Are they set to include the PQ name in the file?

Larry, I know you've reported this before, but we simply cannot reproduce this behavior.

I've now set up 4 run-once-and-uncheck PQs that I will test with. In the first attempt yesterday, they all properly unchecked. Do you have yours set up to deliver .zip files? Are they set to include the PQ name in the file?

I don't know if you have the ability to peek into my account, but if you do, take a look at the first four pocket queries listed on my pocket queries page. They are, in order:

01 Unfound 60 miles oldest

01 Unfound 60 miles oldish

01 Unfound 60 miles middle

01 Unfound 60 miles recent

The four pocket queries are identical except for the date range selected. These four queries combined provide me with active geocaches that I haven't found within a 60-mile radius of my home coordinates, selecting several cache types (not all) and excluding caches on my Ignore List.

Each pocket query has "Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs" selected.

Each pocket query does NOT have "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" selected.

I've been running these four pocket queries every few days for the past several years. The only thing that ever changes is the date range, to adjust for caches being published and archived.

The bug I've described is 100% reproducible, it happens every time I select four or more pocket queries to run (I honestly don't know if the bug occurs when I run only two or three pocket queries, that almost never happens in my workflow). The bug also occurs when I select a different set of four or five pocket queries, for example, pocket queries covering multiple locations I'll be visiting and/or routes I'll be traveling.

If I select one and only one pocket query to run, the box seems to always be unchecked after the pocket query is generated.

Because it's reproducible, I've been able to experiment a bit. What I've found is that, whenever I select at least four pocket queries to run, the last pocket query I check to run is always the one whose box remains checked after all the queries are run. For example, if I select the four pocket queries above in random order (for example, 04 then 01 then 03 then 02), it's always the last box I checked that stays checked at the end.

I've also tested to see what happens if I leave that one box checked. If I don't clear the check box, that cache will run one week later. When that happens and the pocket query runs a week later, the box is then unchecked.

Hope this helps!

--Larry

I'm not Larry, but my PQs always deliver .zip files and always include the PQ name in the file. (I've never really understood why anyone would want to run a PQ without those set.)

My PQs are always set to 900 caches. And in contrast to Larry's, my PQs are all strictly distance from a point, never date limited.

Larry's testing is much more comprehensive than mine, but to the degree I've tried similar things, I've gotten similar results. The only thing I can add is that it most certainly does happen to me from time to time with a single PQ, just not as regularly as when running multiple PQs.

Yep, they sure did uncheck for you (I sort of figured you were doing some testing when I found four pocket query notifications in my e-mail in-box a couple of minutes ago).

Curiouser and curiouser. I suppose there's an off chance that Greasemonkey might have something to do with it, though the only script operative on the pocket query page is the "GC Waypoint Finder" script. The next time I run those pocket queries, I'll try to remember to deactivate Greasemonkey and see if that makes any difference.

For the record, I'm running Firefox 23.0.1 on a Windows 7 machine, though this has been happening for years and Firefox has gone through a zillion versions in that time.

--Larry

I copied Larry's PQs to my account, set them all to run, and they all unchecked as expected. So, there is obviously some other factor at play.

We had a discussion about my PQ's remaining checked even though they are setup to run and then uncheck. What I found is I have to go into the PQ page itself (click the PQ on the PQ list) and check it there. If I check the day on the PQ list page at least one of the PQ's will not uncheck after it is run. At the time you said you could not reproduce the problem.

I copied Larry's PQs to my account, set them all to run, and they all unchecked as expected. So, there is obviously some other factor at play.

We had a discussion about my PQ's remaining checked even though they are setup to run and then uncheck. What I found is I have to go into the PQ page itself (click the PQ on the PQ list) and check it there. If I check the day on the PQ list page at least one of the PQ's will not uncheck after it is run. At the time you said you could not reproduce the problem.

One thing I neglected to add in my previous post: I always run these pocket queries from the pocket queries LIST page, not from the detail pages for the individual pocket queries.

--Larry

One thing I neglected to add in my previous post: I always run these pocket queries from the pocket queries LIST page, not from the detail pages for the individual pocket queries.

--Larry

Yeah, for me that does *not* work like you would wish. I have to run them from the PQ details page itself.

Larry, since you have 100% repro: do you experience this issue in another browser - like Chrome - or is it Firefox-specific?

I haven't a clue. :P I've been using Firefox exclusively for the past several years. I don't have Chrome installed, but I do have Internet Explorer, of course. The next time I run pocket queries (probably tomorrow afternoon, since you used 4 of my 5 today), I'll use Internet Explorer and report back as to what happens.

--Larry

I show no record of a bookmark PQ running on your account today. All that I see are your regularly scheduled weekly PQs (with numbers 001, 002, 003, 004, etc.). Do you have another account that you have running PQs? What is the name and/or number of the PQ with which you are seeing this issue?

The reason that you didn't see it is, I deleted it right after it ran the 2nd time. But, like JHolly said, it appears that happens when the day is checked in the actual "Pocket Query" page and not the "Your Pocket Queries" page.

I show no record of a bookmark PQ running on your account today. All that I see are your regularly scheduled weekly PQs (with numbers 001, 002, 003, 004, etc.). Do you have another account that you have running PQs? What is the name and/or number of the PQ with which you are seeing this issue?

The reason that you didn't see it is, I deleted it right after it ran the 2nd time. But, like JHolly said, it appears that happens when the day is checked in the actual "Pocket Query" page and not the "Your Pocket Queries" page.

PQs that you have deleted still show up as archived to me in the database, and I do not see one that matches the description you have. I see a bookmark PQ named "Toledo Run" that ran on Sept. 2; is this the PQ to which you are referring? If so, the database indicates that it was created on September 2nd (not a week earlier), and that it ran about 16 seconds after submission.

Larry, since you have 100% repro: do you experience this issue in another browser - like Chrome - or is it Firefox-specific?

This afternoon, I ran the four pocket queries using Internet Explorer (version 10). In this case, I checked the boxes for a Thursday run in reverse order, 04 then 03 then 02 then 01. The result was exactly the same as it has been for years: After the pocket queries were generated, the check boxes for 02, 03 and 04 were unchecked. The box for 01, the last one I checked, remains checked. When I now look at the Web page with either Firefox or Internet Explorer, the Thursday box for pocket query 01 remains checked. I'll leave that box checked for now in case it helps you with your troubleshooting.

Looks as if this isn't specific to one Web browser, anyway.

--Larry

This afternoon, I ran the four pocket queries using Internet Explorer (version 10). In this case, I checked the boxes for a Thursday run in reverse order, 04 then 03 then 02 then 01. The result was exactly the same as it has been for years: After the pocket queries were generated, the check boxes for 02, 03 and 04 were unchecked. The box for 01, the last one I checked, remains checked. When I now look at the Web page with either Firefox or Internet Explorer, the Thursday box for pocket query 01 remains checked. I'll leave that box checked for now in case it helps you with your troubleshooting.

--Larry

That is precisely what I observed. The last one checked does not uncheck. I can not use the PQ list page, I have to go into the PQ details page to avoid the problem.

--Larry

And yet, when I spoof log in as you and take the same steps, I do not see this behavior. I'm at a loss to explain why some accounts in some scenarios see this. A timing issue?

--Larry

And yet, when I spoof log in as you and take the same steps, I do not see this behavior. I'm at a loss to explain why some accounts in some scenarios see this. A timing issue?

I have no idea, of course, but I can't remember a time over the last several years that it hasn't happened. And I've run those four pocket queries dozens of times, at least three times a week for the last three years or more.

--Larry

I'll leave that box checked for now in case it helps you with your troubleshooting.

--Larry

In case anyone is looking into this, I've unchecked that box that was left checked last Thursday. I'm generating the same four queries today (Sunday). Assuming the last box I check stays checked after the run, I'll leave this one checked, too in case it helps with your troubleshooting.

--Larry

I'll leave that box checked for now in case it helps you with your troubleshooting.

--Larry

In case anyone is looking into this, I've unchecked that box that was left checked last Thursday. I'm generating the same four queries today (Sunday). Assuming the last box I check stays checked after the run, I'll leave this one checked, too in case it helps with your troubleshooting.

--Larry

Hey, what happened? When I ran the same four pocket queries just now, that last box got unchecked. Did something get tweaked?

--Larry

--Larry

--Larry

Hey, what happened? When I ran the same four pocket queries just now, that last box got unchecked. Did something get tweaked?

--Larry

Pluto is in the house of Jupiter. That always causes software to function is strange and unexpected way.

--Larry

--Larry

--Larry

Pluto is in the house of Jupiter. That always causes software to function is strange and unexpected way.

:lol: I should have known, that happens to me all the time.

Over the last few days, I've migrated all my computer "stuff" to a brand new PC. This included reinstalling all my software. Maybe that has something to do with it (though I can't fathom how, since I set up the new PC with all the same settings as the old one). I'll take it, either way.

--Larry

PQs that you have deleted still show up as archived to me in the database, and I do not see one that matches the description you have. I see a bookmark PQ named "Toledo Run" that ran on Sept. 2; is this the PQ to which you are referring? If so, the database indicates that it was created on September 2nd (not a week earlier), and that it ran about 16 seconds after submission.

Right. I created a PQ from the Toledo Run Bookmark (now Archived), set it up to run only once, which it did. I then marked it to Archive. And, the following day it still ran. I can recreate the Bookmark if need be.

:lol: I should have known, that happens to me all the time.

Over the last few days, I've migrated all my computer "stuff" to a brand new PC. This included reinstalling all my software. Maybe that has something to do with it (though I can't fathom how, since I set up the new PC with all the same settings as the old one). I'll take it, either way.

--Larry

It's baaack ....

New PC (Windows 7), fresh new copy of Firefox (version 23.0.1). I requested the same four pocket queries I've mentioned in previous posts. And once again, the last pocket query I checked for a Friday run today still has its box checked afterward. I guess the one run in which all four boxes were unchecked was actually a fluke.

As before, I'll leave that box checked for a few days in case it helps with troubleshooting.

Oh, well.

--Larry

You can go ahead and uncheck the one that remains checked - there's nothing in the database related to that that will help track this down.

I see that it is the #1 PQ that remains checked, and that it was the last one that you checked when setting the PQs up to run. Do you check them in reverse order (#4 through #1)? Does the order ever make a difference in which one - if any - remains checked?

On another note, I've made a subtle change to your PQs in the database. You should not see any effect of that change on the PQ results, but I'd be interested to know if you end up seeing a different behavior from the checkboxes on the PQ page. Please let me know if the problem is gone or remains the same the next time you run them.

You can go ahead and uncheck the one that remains checked - there's nothing in the database related to that that will help track this down.

Done.

I see that it is the #1 PQ that remains checked, and that it was the last one that you checked when setting the PQs up to run. Do you check them in reverse order (#4 through #1)? Does the order ever make a difference in which one - if any - remains checked?

I've tried selecting the PQs in "normal" order (01, 02, 03, 04), reverse order, and a couple of other combinations. and it never seems to make any difference. The one box that remains checked is always the last PQ I select.

On another note, I've made a subtle change to your PQs in the database. You should not see any effect of that change on the PQ results, but I'd be interested to know if you end up seeing a different behavior from the checkboxes on the PQ page. Please let me know if the problem is gone or remains the same the next time you run them.

Will do. And thanks for continuing to look into this. This certainly isn't a show-stopper, but it is weird.

--Larry

I ran a new set of pocket queries today, the same four I usually run. This time, I checked them off in order, 01, 02, 03, 04. The last one I checked, 04, remained checked after the pocket queries were generated, and that box is still checked several hours later. Whatever change you made, I can't see any difference in the results.

--Larry

Just to prove to myself that there's nothing special about the four pocket queries I usually request, I did something different today. I'm planning for a weekend trip to the Pittsburgh area, so I ordered up a set of five completely different pocket queries, one of the caches-along-a-route variety and four covering areas in Pennsylvania we might be traveling to.

Same result: The first four pocket queries I requested had their check boxes unchecked afterwards, and the fifth I checked did not.

Very, very strange.

But consistent!

--Larry

This morning, I had occasion to run just a single pocket query, named Bookmarks - Ignore List. After the pocket query was generated, the check box remained checked.

Which I suppose makes some sort of sense. That one check box was the last one I checked (and also the only one).

Keep in mind that this is on a brand new PC with freshly installed operating system and freshly installed copy of Firefox. The only thing that stayed the same was my geocaching account.

Somebody please correct me if my thinking is off, but it seems to me that the glitch almost has to be on the server side of things and not on my PC.

--Larry

I had a rash of these on Saturday morning, using firefox: 3 out of 5 PQs remained checked. I submitted them piecemeal, so that's probably consistent with three independent sets and that last one of each not getting cleared.

Somebody please correct me if my thinking is off, but it seems to me that the glitch almost has to be on the server side of things and not on my PC.

What you're saying makes sense to me, but what argues against it is the fact that it cannot be reproduced by everyone. That suggests that it has something to do with our side of it. It might be that different behavior or timing on side tickles a problem in the server, or it could be that our systems are doing more here than we laymen understand.