No Video When Loggin Online....

Do you typically upload videos when you post reviews at tripadvisor or yelp? I participate there regularly and have never seen any posted.

What about foursquare or other listing sites? I don't participate there, so I don't know if it's part of that culture.

I doubt that you will ever see it added to geocaching.com. There are enough issues with storage already just with listings and still images. And I suspect that most CO's wouldn't want to see it added, as the potential for spoilers is just too great.

No Video When Loggin Online.... .... what kinda crap is that

The kind where you just have to suck it up. I don't think there should be videos, as it's too easy to put unwanted spoilers in them. Even some of the pictures can tell you a lot of the info...

There is the video I was wanting to share there Sport! LOL

Like I'm gonna make a cheezy "Walking To The Cache Video".... that wouldn't be a lot of fun to watch.

If and when I feel the need to share a video, before, at, or after the cache was found.... it sure would be nice to share the adventure. Posting the link to Youtube seems like a good enough way to go I guess.

geocaching.com is a cache listing service, not a video hosting service. There are lots of video hosting services like youtube, blip.tv, yahoo video, etc. You can link to any of them and let the video hosting service store the large amounts of data and only include a link in the log.

Well there are lot of nice and cool pictures here also.... this isn't Photobucket either now is it?

Edited by Escape & Evasion

Anyone know the typing procedure / command to actually name a link... like "Horned Toad Video" to show up in log visit for a cache? Been a very long time since I've done that move and its kicking my butt. I thought I had it one time.... it was lit up in blue... but the link didn't work so I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help guys. We are still trying to find what makes this fun for us, try to be some what nice for Pete's Sake! :blink:

geocaching.com is a cache listing service, not a video hosting service. There are lots of video hosting services like youtube, blip.tv, yahoo video, etc. You can link to any of them and let the video hosting service store the large amounts of data and only include a link in the log.

Of course you can say the same for pictures or even for leaving logs. Geocaching is 13 years old and when the site was put together broadband was less common and storage cost were higher. There are all sorts of old limits on the size of logs, let alone the size of pictures, that can be posted. Nowadays, taking short videos on a cell phone and sharing them on all sorts of websites is common. Geocaching seems a bit behind the times in limiting this. For now, the solution of uploading the video to YouTube and putting a link in the the log is ok.

To added a link in the log use BB code - e.g.

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]

OP is not being respectful of other posters, nor of Groundspeak. A constructive way to address the lack of video upload functionality would be to submit a polite feature request thread, rather than the inartful "what kind of crap is that?" subtitle for this thread.

Closing thread.