Help, I'm a muggle!

sashahudak

I apologize if this is redundant, but I sincerely appreciate any help.

I learned about Geocaching online, through an article about up and coming apps/ideas/etc. It sounded like such a great idea, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I am going on vacation to the Seattle area, and was thinking that some caches in the city would be a great way to explore. Are there any recommendations? Do people create a series of caches to help people like me explore, or are they all individual caches, decided upon and found one at a time?

I'm pretty sure I've grasped the concept and rules, and I only plan on signing the logs since I'm just visiting the area, but I would like to visit places that other people feel are important in the Seattle area, not just the super tourist-y spots.

Thanks for your help!

I apologize if this is redundant, but I sincerely appreciate any help.

I learned about Geocaching online, through an article about up and coming apps/ideas/etc. It sounded like such a great idea, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I am going on vacation to the Seattle area, and was thinking that some caches in the city would be a great way to explore. Are there any recommendations? Do people create a series of caches to help people like me explore, or are they all individual caches, decided upon and found one at a time?

I'm pretty sure I've grasped the concept and rules, and I only plan on signing the logs since I'm just visiting the area, but I would like to visit places that other people feel are important in the Seattle area, not just the super tourist-y spots.

Thanks for your help!

having 470 caches, I consider myself a newbie as well...what I have found on my caching adventures. first, starting out, don't search for nano's. These are mostly in the cities and can be very difficult to find as they are so small and can be stuck under, over, in places that you wouldn't think about. Do a search for small to large containers with a difficulty of 1-2 to start off. I hate city caches because I hate looking for things where there are a million other people around you. go bush and look for caches that way. Next, don't get discouraged by DNF's (did not find), log them and explain you are new to the game. it helps you get to where you want to be. Additioinally, be prepared for failure. I walk up to a cache thinking I will bag it and can't find it (nano in the city) , get out side the city and find some big ones. lastly, yes, there are series of caches that help you explore. I've found caches in places I would have never been if it wasn't for caching . don't worry about the series though, just do a search on some easy, larger caches and start looking. I'm sure others will have different advice, but tht is just me in my novice state.

Caches can be anything, and everything. By that I mean, 1500 caches 600 feet apart on a trail, a single cache, 4 similarily themed caches. That also means the caches themselves. They can be anything from the size of a pencil eraser to a tupperware container size, to 5 gallon buckets.

and I only plan on signing the logs since I'm just visiting the area

Does that mean you won't log them online? I recommend you do log them online, as it lets the cache owners know if the cache is ok, needs slight maintenance, or need to be replaced.

And I don't know where you're from but I'll bet there's good geocaches there too. They may even take you to places you didn't know about, even if you've lived in the same city for 10 years. It's a fun hobby and if you enjoy it on your trip, there's no need to stop doing it when you get home.

If I were going to Seattle then I would definitely stop by Geocaching Headquarters (GCK25B).

Does that mean you won't log them online? I recommend you do log them online, as it lets the cache owners know if the cache is ok, needs slight maintenance, or need to be replaced.

I will definitely log them online as well, I just meant we weren't planning on taking/leaving trinkets, due to limited time and funds.

Thank you all for your replies - we will definitely be trying some of the larger caches if possible, and I am absolutely prepared to do some out of the city too. I am also open to this continuing once we're home again too, but I'm taking advantage of being out of town and using this as a way to explore.

Read cache listings. You will get an impression about what's the cache owner willing to show. Interesting places most probably are described in the listing. There will be surprises, though.

Maybe there exists a local cacher community/forum. You can ask for some pointers or even bookmark lists there.

Have a nice trip!

BTW: not trading is no problem.

I will definitely log them online as well, I just meant we weren't planning on taking/leaving trinkets, due to limited time and funds.

Thank you all for your replies - we will definitely be trying some of the larger caches if possible, and I am absolutely prepared to do some out of the city too. I am also open to this continuing once we're home again too, but I'm taking advantage of being out of town and using this as a way to explore.

The "Trinkets" are called SWAG. And don't worry about it, not everyone trades SWAG. I've only done it on 3 or 4 of my 300+ finds.

How are you planning on searching for caches? Smartphone app, or handheld GPS?

If using an app, you should be able to search live, on the fly, as it were, wherever you are (I'm sure cellular data service is not a problem in downtown Seattle 😊), and have all the hints, recent logs, etc. available on demand.

If you are planning to use a handheld GPS, you will have to have some method of getting the coordinates into the device. You can enter them manually, of course, but this won't give you all the cache details...you may have to print out the cache pages beforehand and carry them with you.

The third option would be if you have a newer GPS that supports paperless Geocaching, so you can have all the cache details available with you. But there's a bit if a learning curve with that option, both in terms of mastering the device and mastering the downloading of the data.

Just wondering if you have a game plan....it's something you might want to figure out and practice around your home town BEFORE you find yourself scratching your head on a street corner in Seattle. 😳

Additionally, when you do get that part figured out, I find it's handy to check out the caches in your area of interest and see which ones have the most Favorite points....usually a good indication of which are the cooler caches in the area.