Duplicate TB numbers?

Mr. 0

While on vacation a couple of weeks ago I spotted a vehicle TB parked beside me. I took a photo of the TB number, and went to log it later in the evening. It appears that it's coming up with a different TB page. The page that I get, and "discovered", appears to have been lost in 2009 and the owner hasn't logged in since 2010. I took a clear photo, so it's not an issue of me writing it down wrong. I've also tried it several times so it doesn't appear to be any kind of temporary site glitch. Is there any way to see if the code is somehow related to another TB page?

The TB in question

Is there any way to see if the code is somehow related to another TB page?

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com.

I've heard of the car TB decals having Tracking Numbers not in the database, so they couldn't be activated without Groundspeak assistance. So in theory a duplicate could exist. But it's odd that the "duplicate" hasn't been noticed by the car tag owner... that there aren't any other "what's going on with this number" logs.

Edited by kunarion

Maybe it belonged to a cacher who sold the vehicle and no-one took the decal off? Or maybe the car does belong to said person, who just doesn't cache anymore?

I've heard of duplicate TB numbers, so it's not impossible.

I thought about that. The TB page that pulls up mentions that it was attached to a Castrol GTX key chain. So they would have had to have the decal made up with the old TB number, then never bother to go back in and change the description. It's still possible, but it seems like a lot of effort just to essentially forget all about it.

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com.

I've heard of the car TB decals having Tracking Numbers not in the database, so they couldn't be activated without Groundspeak assistance. So in theory a duplicate could exist. But it's odd that the "duplicate" hasn't been noticed by the car tag owner... that there aren't any other "what's going on with this number" logs.

I did just send an email, so we'll see what happens. I also thought it strange that the car tag owner apparently hasn't noticed anything wrong. Seems to me if I was looking at one of my own TBs and I pulled up a different page, I'd contact GS, or at least post a note on that page.