The limits of smartphone GPS ?

furet74

Hello,

I'm a french man and I use to do geocaching with my Iphone 5 and the official geocaching app (I do mainly traditional caches).

Today I tried for the first time to find a mystery cache while there was no network (it was in the mountains) and I wasn't able to find it.

Because it was impossible to find it with gps coordinates.

So do I have to buy a real GPS device or could you explain me how to find a mystery cache (only with GPS coordinates) with an Iphone ?

Thank you for your advices and sorry for my bad english :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough... :

I had a GPS signal but no cell signal.

My question is : how to find a cache using gps coordinates with no cell signal.

(and how to enter gps coordinates in the smartphone app to go to the cache offline with no cell signal).

Thank you !

Edited by furet74

You CAN use the app in the absence of data service, but it takes a little advance planning. When you are in an area of coverage (better yet, WiFi), on the info page of the cache in question, tap the little button in the upper right with the three dots on it. Here you can select Save For Offline Use. That cache info (and maps if you specify) will be saved in the app. Now, when you are out in the field, and you have no data service, go to the Saved tab at the bottom and select the cache you want to hunt.

You can also download whole Pocket Queries to the app instead of picking them one at a time.

For mystery and multi caches, while navigating to the cache, again tap the button with the three dots. This time you will get the menu to add waypoints. Input the new coordinates and hit "Done". When you go back to the Navigate screen there will be a little flag at the new coordinates. Tap that and select "Set as Target"

Hope that's clear enough, it's really a lot simpler than I make it sound once you know how to do it.

You can't enter coords in the app. Get another app and use it for that.

You can..... if you know or have the coordinates.

Hit 'Navigate to Geocache'

At top right, hit the three dots.

ADD WAYPOINT

With puzzle caches, you have to solve the puzzle in order to get the coordinates for the find.

(sorry, just noticed this was already mentioned)

Edited by Lieblweb

Thank you for your answer :)

I am not sure if I am in the right forum, so sorry if not. But thanks for your help:

I want to introduce newbie's to Geocaching, so I give them coordinates to look for on ther smartphone.

For example 47 23.333 9 23.333.

Android users can type loc:47 23.333 9 23.333 and get to the correct tree but not iPhone users. Neither with apple maps nor with google maps.

What can I do that it works both for Android and iPhone users?

I am not sure if I am in the right forum, so sorry if not. But thanks for your help:

I want to introduce newbie's to Geocaching, so I give them coordinates to look for on ther smartphone.

For example 47 23.333 9 23.333.

Android users can type loc:47 23.333 9 23.333 and get to the correct tree but not iPhone users. Neither with apple maps nor with google maps.

What can I do that it works both for Android and iPhone users?

Google Earth works on both IOS and Android and 47 23.333 9 23.333 works out just dandy on an iPhone with Google Earth.

Google Earth for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.earth&hl=en

Google Earth for IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-earth/id293622097?mt=8