Prepaid cell phone

It's not wise to use a carrier on ANY phone, if you want to geocache with a phone load the needed data at a wifi spot or at home.

This includes the map(s)

So the only thing you have to be sure about is, you will need a microSD in the phone and a good Gps receiver and a recent version of Android.

Sure it wotks fine, but on a pre paid???

In that case a normal data plan seems a better idea to me.

Depending on where the OP lives it may or may not make sense to use a prepaid cellphone.

Using wifi avoids any data charges but in the UK there are some deals you can get which work out insanely cheap for downloading data. Streaming movies could rack up the bills pretty badly but downloading cache information isn't hugely heavy on the data.

I use the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G (formerly called the Exhibit II 4G) with T-Mobile. At the time I bought my phone, Walmart had a deal where you can get unlimited text and unlimited data, but only 100 minutes talk, for $30 per month. Since I don't talk very much on my phone anyway, this deal was perfect for me. The GPSr on the phone works great when you install the GPS Status app. Only real downside is that the latest official OS is gingerbread 2.3.6. If you don't mind voiding the warranty, you can root the phone and install jellybean 4.2.2 which works fantastic.

Crossed Anchors,

I don't cache that much, but I have used and tested a few prepaids in the field caching and navigating with apps. I use Virgin Mobile prepaids because I'm grandfathered in at a rate of $25 for 300 minutes/unlimited data per month. Not really chatty on phones, so this works for great for me. Currently this same plan is $35 per month for noobs. If you like to yack on a phone, $45 per month will get you more talk, $55 is unlimited everything. Virgin uses Sprint towers in my area, so take that in mind.

THe last two Android phones on their system that I've used are the LG Optimus V and the Samsung Galaxy S2. For running GPS related apps (caching and GPS) the little Optimus V could not be beat. Outstanding internal GPS in that one. On hikes, that thing would get a satelite lock as fast in deep woods as my Etrex 20 or 60csx. Also recorded some excellent track logs. Only downside was the GPS realy killed the battery.

My current Android is the Samsung Galaxy S2. Overall, a big, nice phone. I really like it for it's size and remarkable battery life, but this phone has a weaker GPS. More like using a pre-H Etrex in deep cover. Has an onboard 'USB' memory of 12GB and you can add a large SD card, so map caching for is excellent. THe main GPS related apps I use are Backcountry Navigator Pro, GPS Essentials, and the geocaching apps that shall not be mentioned.

Forgot to mention that I did have another Android that I tried before settling on this S2. It was called the LG Optiimus Elite. Bad phone. Short battery life and buggy. Tried two, both were the same.

Edited by Woodstramp