Buried Cache

Before we even get into the 'buried cache' thing/bizarre story, we have to start with this question....Would you ever place a cache, turn your back on it, walk 30' and take the coords?
Maybe.

The first situation that comes to mind where this would be appropriate is a cache where there is no GPS reception at the cache location. I might walk 30ft away, take coordinates, walk 30ft further in a straight line, take coordinates, and then use those coordinates to determine the cache's coordinates.

Another could be a multi-stage cache, where the cache location is not identified by GPS coordinates, but the penultimate stage is 30ft away and is identified by GPS coordinates.

And the definition of "buried" is found in the guidelines:

Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Before we even get into the 'buried cache' thing/bizarre story, we have to start with this question....Would you ever place a cache, turn your back on it, walk 30' and take the coords?

Yes, cache is in a tunnel, 30 feet from the entrance.

But then I'd adjust those coordinates to agree with the spot on the surface directly above the cache.

There's a cache along Old Route 66 in Missouri, where Ground Zero is at a historic sign describing the early coal mining operations in the area. The thing is, there's no place to hide a cache the size its supposed to be. Looking around, I see on a well-worn path into the woods is a "Wolf Tree" about 200' away. Sure enough, in a cavity at the base of the tree is the cache. A great find.

Co-ords intentionally off? Nope. Unless it is in a tunnel, there is not reason to not have the proper co-ords. Is it a puzzle? Then the posted co-ords could be one foot, or two miles off, but you'd still have to have the final co-ords for the reviewer(It would be hidden from other users) A multi, or letterbox? Posted co-ords for the first stage, and every other physical stage but these could also be hidden from everyone except the reviewer.

Buried? Well I'll point out the guidelines with a link.

So if you make a hole in the ground it's not allowed. That includes using a shovel to dig, rock to move the earth, sticking a post, or stick in the ground....Basically, if you have to think of a way around the wording, it would be against the guidelines.

Edited by T.D.M.22