Garminsanity - So many to choose from

I've been caching for about 7 years now and have owned 7 GPSr's. I have been somewhat paying attention to the plethora of Garmin units that have become available but now that I am ready to upgrade again and am really paying attention, I find it's more confusing than ever to choose a unit. Why have I owned 7 different units? Because some of them malfunctioned and when I replaced them I upgraded, some were sold to friends, etc.

Now with the Monterra soon to join the line-up, I realize that the Garmin website really is of little value as it certainly does not explain or compare the available series, let alone the units. The "COMPARE" feature is practically useless as it can only compare 4 units at a time, and only includes the features that they bothered with, not the technology of the processors, the durability of the comparable series, and other important stuff.... for instance; a unit may be able to have 2000 waypoints, but that could be in addition to the 4000 Geocaches, which it doesn't even mention. GPCCity and GPSCentral also don't really explain things to a level that I found useful.

Has anyone been able to decipher the differences and posted, or published an easily understandable explanation of what Garmin has to offer? Don't even bother adding Delorme, Magellan, etc etc.....I'm confused enough!!

I dunno, maybe I missed something?!?

Thanks

BB

I get what you mean... I think.

It is important to notice in their specs and unit information to take note of what they DON'T say, as well as what they do say.

In that most all GPSr units function in the same way (or at least similarly so) pay most attention to the spec sheet or list -- they can "fudge" what they say a unit does, but they cannot fib about the specs -- not without it costing them in the long run. This is in regards to any manufacturer.

Using the spec sheets for comparison is the best method of comparing within or outside of like brands -- again, take note of what they don't say as well as what they do say. i.e. Compass = y/n vs. "electronic"; additional storage - yes (usually specifies SD or microSD card)--this is independent of total cache or waypoint capacity; mapping - available or comes with (specific maps beyond base maps)-- available does not mean it HAS that mapping.

Total cache (input) capacity means less than that which most people demand of a GPSr. In that you should download new data for each outing, the ability for a unit to hold 10,000+ caches is absolutely meaningless -- unless of course, you feel that you can find that many caches in one day or a single outing.

Caches are archived all the time as well as new caches placed. To hold data within the unit in excess of a month means that you are holding data that may well be outdated regarding archivals and new placements. Unless you enjoy looking for a cache that isn't even there, load new data each time you go out. Likewise, walking by a new cache that your unit doesn't have loaded.

As far as I can ascertain, the biggest choice is whether to have or not have a touch-screen. Expandable memory storage is also an important factor -- such is certainly an advantage to holding huge, detailed topo maps while maintaining internal memory for GPSr functioning.

Sometimes when you cram a unit full to the max, functioning degrades, which can lead to a unit crashing -- right when you wish it wouldn't, miles away from home and the ability to fix it.

Yupper -- I find comparing the specs, manufacturer-to-manufacturer as well as unit-to-unit is the way to go about it.

In total they have + 400 models, but for outdoor in the top segment about 4 or 5

Ogegon 3XX, Oregon 6XX, 62 model, Montana, Monterra

Monterra has to come out yet and Oregon 6XX not sure about the software, many people seem to have problems.

The Oregon 300 series has been discontinued for quite some time now. The 450 is left, but seems like it'll be discontinued in the near future. The 600 has software problems, but overall, software problems can (and will) be fixed. The reason to get an Oregon 450 over a 600 is simply to save money.

you also forgot about the eTrex for outdoor models. The new eTrex line is very capable compared with the old eTrex line.

In general, Garmin has made it so that you now choose your body/interface style, and then choose the features within. Cost may limit you somewhat (the Monterra is rumored to sell for around $700), but otherwise, all of the outdoor handhelds have similar antenna technologies, so signal strength and accuracy are going to be similar across the board. The differences between series are going to be with size, weight, screen size and type, battery life, and user interface. Within each series, you can then choose whether you want the compass/altimeter, topo maps, a camera, and so forth. These options are not universal across all series (eTrex doesn't have a camera, for example, and all Oregons/Montanas have the electronic compass/barometric altimeter).

So, to make browsing through all of Garmin's models easier, narrow down the list in the following order:

1. Set your budget* - and by this, I mean the upper limit by which you absolutely can't stretch beyond.

2. Decide if you want a touch screen interface or buttons.

3. Decide if you want a large screen or can live with a smaller screen

--- Pick your series ---

4. Decide which features within your series you can't live without.

--- At this point, you may have narrowed yourself down to one unit ---

*Of course, if you're really eying something that's outside your budget, you can wait to see if it goes on sale in the near future, or look for used bargains.

The Oregon 300 series has been discontinued for quite some time now. The 450 is left, but seems like it'll be discontinued in the near future. The 600 has software problems, but overall, software problems can (and will) be fixed. The reason to get an Oregon 450 over a 600 is simply to save money.

Talking about the Oregon 450. I just saw that Cabela's has them on sale for $175.

Talking about the Oregon 450. I just saw that Cabela's has them on sale for $175.

That's a great price on a good unit.

..... the ability for a unit to hold 10,000+ caches is absolutely meaningless -- unless of course, you feel that you can find that many caches in one day or a single outing.

I disagree.... Yes, finding 10k caches in a day may be a challenge.. :rolleyes: however, as my wife and I generally only cache while traveling nowadays, loading 4000 caches or more may be imperative for a long road trip. One never knows if wi-fi is going to be available when your cell is roaming and needed on an adventure, and when traveling more than 3000 miles it's nice to have a route of PQ's d/l'd and at the ready. This only just happened to us where went to California from BC and back. My GPS only holds 2000 caches and at a most inconvenient time the route was bare when it could have been loaded still. I understand that there are other solutions, but greater capacity is the one feature I am seeking.

..... the ability for a unit to hold 10,000+ caches is absolutely meaningless -- unless of course, you feel that you can find that many caches in one day or a single outing.

I disagree.... Yes, finding 10k caches in a day may be a challenge.. :rolleyes: however, as my wife and I generally only cache while traveling nowadays, loading 4000 caches or more may be imperative for a long road trip. One never knows if wi-fi is going to be available when your cell is roaming and needed on an adventure, and when traveling more than 3000 miles it's nice to have a route of PQ's d/l'd and at the ready. This only just happened to us where went to California from BC and back. My GPS only holds 2000 caches and at a most inconvenient time the route was bare when it could have been loaded still. I understand that there are other solutions, but greater capacity is the one feature I am seeking.

I'd be very wary about relying on one device to hold all the information on hundreds or thousands of my cache finds. If anything were to happen to the GPS then the only record of those finds would be lost too. I'd take a laptop with me to have someplace to backup my find log. The laptop will also provide you with a place that you can store additional PQs.

I've only been caching for 2.5 years...own 3 Garmin GPS units ... and I honestly don't think I'd buy another Garmin unless they ever 'get it right'

Two years ago, the Oregon could hold 5,000 geocaches according to their website. Oregon 450 and 62s do nothing but crash & lock up A LOT. We've researched, we've updated firmware, we've done everything under the sun except toss the things out the window. Within the last 6 months - have only loaded 3,000 geocaches into each unit and its been crash free. And now, if you look at their website - it says it can only hold 2,000 geocaches. Wish I would've known that 2 years ago - I'd have a better view about Garmin products.

Own at least 3 different Garmin Nuvi's. The 2450 was just barely out of warranty. I updated the firmware and the thing got stuck in this boot loop and wouldn't go to the main screen. Again...lots of time researching, hard booting, going back to different versions, trying different things and I ended up sending it back to Garmin for 1/2 price of another new one.

Needless to say...Garmin hasn't impressed me too much.