Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
onfire4jesus

Concrete Arrows

6 posts in this topic

I ran across one of these arrows a few years back in 2009 while geocaching. It is out on a ridge in the west Utah desert. The only reason I found it was because there was a multi-cache placed near here, that used this arrow as the starting point. It was the Arrow on Skunk Ridge multi-cache. It has since been archived. It is the only arrow like this that I've ever seen. The cache page had this link about the history of these arrows.

I took a few pictures while I was there. You can see the stubs in the corners of the square, that are left from the beacon tower that was removed. The beacon tower was a benchmark.

6d026fc8-1ed7-46ec-bfe7-1308efcaab8d.jpg

c47850f1-9c9c-487a-b7b4-7d47f7746bb1.jpg

87066b56-9dba-4afc-9ca2-22af472c6a6a.jpg

Interesting objects! But it looks like they are too limited in number as well as geographical distribution to legitimate a category on their own. Maybe it could be broadened? I do not know anything about these things, but I could imagine that something like "Outdated Aeronautical Navigation Aids" would have more potential. Is there anything else that would fit at all? Who is an expert in aviation history?

I agree they are interesting but probably too limited in number and geographically to make for a category. Could they be submitted to "Satellite Imagery Oddities" category?

I would have thought that the "Remains of Settlements" category would have been ideal for these remnants.