What would you do?

Dogmeat*

Some of you are going to say this belongs in the TB section, but I'm posting it here because it's not about using the tracking bug or anything, it's about geocaching in general.

I travel back and fourth often between two locations that are about 4 hours apart. During this past week, I put out a new geocache in one of the areas and one of the first people to find it said they dropped a tracking bug. I noticed they didn't log it, but I went over to grab it because I was traveling today and wanted to give it some distance. So I grabbed it and went to log that I have it, and it wasn't yet activated.

I emailed the person who dropped it with no reply, but they've been caching since 2004 and have well over 3000 finds and over 100 tracking dog tags alone. What does one do in this situation?

Sometimes people leave them as gifts (particularly geocoins), but usually it says so on an attached note. I'd hesitate to assume that's the case here, but if it were me, I'd give it several months (and several e-mails), then activate it if I heard nothing back from them.

Months? I would give it a week after sending the email. If they don't respond then activate it or pass it on.

Edited by jellis

Sometimes people leave them as gifts (particularly geocoins), but usually it says so on an attached note. I'd hesitate to assume that's the case here, but if it were me, I'd give it several months (and several e-mails), then activate it if I heard nothing back from them.

Months? I would give it a week after sending the email. If they don't respond then activate it or pass it on.

I would sit on it until I heard back from the cacher who is clearly active. No rush to move it.

I would sit on it until I heard back from the cacher who is clearly active. No rush to move it.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Good to have some interaction with you my friend. Even better when you agree with me! :lol:

Good to have some interaction with you my friend. Even better when you agree with me! :lol:

Well, there would have been a couple other times but I didn't want to over do it.

:anibad:

Hah! We are like brothers from different mothers the vast majority of the time in the geocaching world. :P

Clearly if they left it by accident they would have responded within a few days to a week, especially a active veteran cacher. After a month the message would be buried and the cacher would have forgotten about it. Unless they left it intentionally for someone to keep and doesn't feel the need to respond.

Clearly if they left it by accident they would have responded within a few days to a week, especially a active veteran cacher. After a month the message would be buried and the cacher would have forgotten about it. Unless they left it intentionally for someone to keep and doesn't feel the need to respond.

You know nothing of the circumstances. Just keep it is your plan.

I'd be real interested if Dogmeat101 could provide cache details. It might help in finding the owner.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Didn't say I did but it was mentioned they have been members since 2004. If I got an email saying I forgot to activate a TB or coin I would respond as soon as I could whether I would activate it or give it away. But that is the me.

Edited by jellis

Didn't say I did but it was mentioned they have been members since 2004. If I got an email saying I forgot to activate a TB or coin I would respond as soon as I could whether I would activate it or give it away. But that is the me.

That's cool. Sometimes there's other ways of contacting a cacher than just using email.

That's cool. Sometimes there's other ways of contacting a cacher than just using email.

If they cache with others, or ask cachers in their home area. I found a GPS by a cache. I took down the name of the cacher and tracked him down by the local reviewer who lived in the area.

If they cache with others, or ask cachers in their home area. I found a GPS by a cache. I took down the name of the cacher and tracked him down by the local reviewer who lived in the area.

Exactly.

There probably are but if a cacher is logging finds and not checking their email there comes a point when you give up trying to contact them.

If they are logging finds they must have some form of internet access. We could construct all sorts of reasons why they might not be checking their email but at some point you have to conclude they aren't interested in the TB. Whether that point comes after a week or six months is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Some of you are going to say this belongs in the TB section, but I'm posting it here because it's not about using the tracking bug or anything, it's about geocaching in general.

I travel back and fourth often between two locations that are about 4 hours apart. During this past week, I put out a new geocache in one of the areas and one of the first people to find it said they dropped a tracking bug. I noticed they didn't log it, but I went over to grab it because I was traveling today and wanted to give it some distance. So I grabbed it and went to log that I have it, and it wasn't yet activated.

I emailed the person who dropped it with no reply, but they've been caching since 2004 and have well over 3000 finds and over 100 tracking dog tags alone. What does one do in this situation?

I would email them few more times.

Has anyone experience tags as swag before?

I drop them into caches sometimes, when the mood strikes, but I also carry a few unactivated tags and geocoins just for swag trades. They are lightweight and small, so they are easy to carry on long hikes. I tend to find interesting swag; or maybe I just find swag interesting.