Caches not being maintained

saintadz

I was wondering, what happenes when a cache is not maintained? One that we found today is in a terrible state and has been listed as needing maintenance on a number of occasions with no response from the owner. In fact, the FTF noted that it was soaked through and that was in 2011! Its a great location and people are still continuing to look for it - it seems a shame that when they get to it its really gross!

A clear case of a newbie decides to hide some geocachers without really understanding what is involved and quickly looses interest..... I would post a Needs Archiving without hesitation on the grounds of lack of maintenance. If the spot is that good someone will soon grab it and then there will be a lovely new (and hopefully better maintained) geocache there!

A clear case of a newbie decides to hide some geocachers without really understanding what is involved and quickly looses interest..... I would post a Needs Archiving without hesitation on the grounds of lack of maintenance. If the spot is that good someone will soon grab it and then there will be a lovely new (and hopefully better maintained) geocache there!

This.

If a cache isn't being maintained log NA, let the reviewer archive it for non-maintenance, and then the spot is free for someone else.

Unfortunately neglected caches are part of the game. All be it a sad and frustrating part. If there have been a few "Needs Maintenance" logs and these have gone ignored. Then it may be time for a "Needs Archive". This will at least archive the listing, but will leave the geotrash in place.

Or if the cache is local, you could maintain it out of community spirit.

Makes me yet again happy with the Reviewers in my area. So many people are hesitant about posting an NA - reviewers in my area seem to recognize this and do NM sweeps regularly to clear out the abandoned caches. The cache in question has 8 NMs without any response from the scouts. Time for an NA to get the reviewers' attention.

Why am I not surprised to see it was hidden by Cub Scouts. Why do these pass review?

Done to get another badge...

It should be ripped off their sleeve, in front of the rest of the pack, to teach them all a lesson!

:laughing:

I think the badge should be placed IN the cache and they're not allowed to get it until the 1 year maintenance check.

We had 1 here that was placed by a summer camp. Never received any maintenance, then eventually went missing and I posted a Needs Archive. Looks like the children are not the only ones who need a lesson in responsibility. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies. I think im going to contact the cub group myself and see what they want to do with it. Then, if they agree to maintain it great, if not then I will do an archive thing or perhaps if they are happy for someone else to take it over write a note for all the other locals to see if they want it.

Many thanks!

Good on you for trying to contact the cubs but they haven't responded to the 8 or so needs maintenance logs so wouldn't hold out to much hope. Personally, unless it was something really special or particular significance, I would rather see it archived than someone adopt the existing cache. We have had caches archived in this area and have had lovely new caches put in their place which has given us a good excuse to revisit some great locations!

Edited by whh0

all the time you spend on this matter, writing about it, thinking about it,

why not just replace the container and logbook, and all people in the world are now happy,

and you get in geo-heawen for your nice and friendly work..

We all know how to complain, and suggest alot of others do alot or at least their job,

when they dont.. why cant we help a bit ?

most cache maintenance is easy to do and takes less time, compared to complaining about it.

Edited by OZ2CPU

why not just replace the container and logbook, and all people in the world are now happy,

We all know how to complain, and suggest alot of others do alot or at least their job,

most cache maintenance is easy to do and takes less time, compared to complaining about it.

Entitle the COs who place a cache with no intentions of maintaining it??? My experience with Scout caches is that, in most cases, no maintenance is planned. Hide cache. Get patch. All is good. Naw. NM.

Thanks for your replies. I think im going to contact the cub group myself and see what they want to do with it. Then, if they agree to maintain it great, if not then I will do an archive thing or perhaps if they are happy for someone else to take it over write a note for all the other locals to see if they want it.

Many thanks!

Not to sound rude or anything, but they've had the chance to fix it. They've had an email for every NM log. They've had 600-1000 days to maintain it. The time for letting the CO fix it is over. Time for someone to post a NA log is way past due. Do all the future finders a favor and log a NA. If you really value the location, then you can put a cache there after this one is archived.

You can be like many other cachers and do nothing or put it on your ignore list. Me I will post a needs maintenance after many DNFs. Post Needs Archive after the needs maintenance has been on for awhile. If the cacher has disabled already I post a note asking when will it be up. If has been disabled for a long time I send a message to a reviewer.

Bad idea.

If the CO is otherwise active and just can't get to it then helping them out is a good thing to do.

If the CO is inactive and just can't be bothered to maintain their caches the worst solution is to have other people doing it for them. Firstly it teaches the less responsible hider that there's no need to do maintenance because Someone Else will pick up the slack, and secondly there's no way for any other user to enable caches and remove the Needs Maintenance attribute.

If the CO isn't active any more have the cache archived, sling the old one in the trash and let someone else have the spot.

Why am I not surprised to see it was hidden by Cub Scouts. Why do these pass review?

It should be ripped off their sleeve, in front of the rest of the pack, to teach them all a lesson!

Placing a cache is just one out of a choice of four activities in order to earn the badge.

8. Do ONE of the following:

a. If a Cache to Eagle series exists in your council, visit at least three of the 12 locations....

b. Create a Scouting-related travel bug that promotes one of the values of Scouting...

c. Set up and hide a public geocache, following all the www.geocaching.com guidelines ... follow the logs online for 30 days and share them with your counselor.

d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event....

The purpose of the merit badge program is to allow Scouts to examine subjects to determine if they would like to further pursue them as a career or vocation. This means that they will try many different things throughout the year. They can, and usually do, quickly loose interest in many of the things that they try. Placing a cache doesn't fit well because it requires a longer term commitment than most Scouts are willing to give to something that they are just trying out once. Option A (visiting caches), option B (creating and releasing a TB), and option D (practice CITO) are much better option for the typical Scout.

I think that option C needs to be refined and/or reworded to dissuade a Scout that isn't already a geocacher from choosing this option.

Placing a cache is just one out of a choice of four activities in order to earn the badge.

a. If a Cache to Eagle series exists in your council, visit at least three of the 12 locations....

b. Create a Scouting-related travel bug that promotes one of the values of Scouting...

c. Set up and hide a public geocache, following all the www.geocaching.com guidelines ... follow the logs online for 30 days and share them with your counselor.

d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event....

The purpose of the merit badge program is to allow Scouts to examine subjects to determine if they would like to further pursue them as a career or vocation. This means that they will try many different things throughout the year. They can, and usually do, quickly loose interest in many of the things that they try. Placing a cache doesn't fit well because it requires a longer term commitment than most Scouts are willing to give to something that they are just trying out once. Option A (visiting caches), option B (creating and releasing a TB), and option D (practice CITO) are much better option for the typical Scout.

I think that option C needs to be refined and/or reworded to dissuade a Scout that isn't already a geocacher from choosing this option.

From the guidelines, as the minimum placement for a cache is 3 months, maybe that should be the scouts aim, and archive it at the end of the 3 months.

Unless someone is prepared to keep up the maintenance of the cache?

I'm not understanding why C even needs to be an option.

Entitle the COs who place a cache with no intentions of maintaining it??? My experience with Scout caches is that, in most cases, no maintenance is planned. Hide cache. Get patch. All is good. Naw. NM.

Right on HD. This cache screams for a NA

That's really interesting. You have all given me much food for thought.

As I have already sent an email to an (active)associate (I believe) of the group via geocaching.com, I will hang on a few days and see if I get a response. If they choose not to after I know they have been online I will put a NA log on.

Thanks!

Any CO who does not respond at all to a string of DNFs on an easy cache or a NM after a reasonable amount of time doesn't deserve to have that cache. If they can't physically get to the cache right away they can ask a friend or at least post a note asking for help, or temporarily disable the cache until they can get to it.

If a CO has placed 'vacation caches' or has caches spread out over a huge area that is so big they can't respond in a timely manner, they really don't have much claim to the cache locations. The unmaintained caches should be archived so someone else who lives nearby and is willing to maintain a cache can place one if it is a good location.

I encountered this problem more than once during the August '31 Days of Geocaching.' There should have been more than enough conveniently located caches for me to find when I was in certain areas. Hovever, several easy caches showed a string of DNFs over months with no CO response. In some cases it was rally obvious thathte cache was gone. Looking at the CO's profiles it was clear in some cases that the COs had caches spread over a big area and were not really local to the caches with all the DNFs. In at least one case it appeared that the CO was local but just not responding. A few weeks to get to and fix a cache is reasonable; a few months (with absolutely no notes posted on the cache page) is not.

Edited by KC2WI

Nope, Nope.

This is not the Scout Merit Badge thing y'all think it is.

First of all, the Merit Badge stuff quoted is from the Boy Scouts of America - this cache is in the UK.

BUT, if it WAS American, know that the Merit Badge is only for BOY SCOUTS, not Cub Scouts.

I don't know anything about British Scouting, but for US Cubs, it would have been just a fun thing to do as a group. Definitely not following LNT guidelines and disrespectful to the hobby.

There's an adult in here somewhere, though. Some leader is either a cacher and supervised this cruddy hide or heard about GeoCaching and decided to take the boys out.

Since 'kirky444' has six finds and two hides, all around the same time, I'd guess the latter. That was almost two years ago, and his boy has probably aged out of Cub Scouting.

Note, however, that there's also a cacher named grand-moff (http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC27N2B_the-159ths-first-hide) who is in some way connected to BOY scout troop 159.

I'm shooting him a note, directing him to this thread. Maybe they're connected? Maybe he knowns Kirky?