Damp and Dark

servman

Friday, 2300h. A full moon illuminates the swamp before us. Mrcpu is about 60 yards ahead of me, picking his way across the swamp trying to find a dry path to the cache. A sudden splash from the darkness tells me that he was unsuccessful. More splashing, then a pause.

I key my radio microphone, "Are you wading?" I ask the darkness.

"Yes", the reply comes back.

"How's the water?"

A long pause, "COLD! *$#@$#!#& COLD!"

The splashing continues, "Since I've got both feet wet now, I'm basically committed."

I move to a position adjacent to the cache on the shore and begin calling out distance and bearings. The 0 metre "zone" for this cache seems to be about 15-20m from the shore near the a tree standing in smelly swamp water about 1 1/2 feet deep. The splashing stops and the flashlight goes out and is replaced with a dim green glow. I realize what he's doing... he's pulled out his smartphone (cell-phone and Palm in one) and is trying to get on the net to look up the clue.

So here's the deal: It's Friday night, almost 11:30pm and Mrcpu is standing knee-deep in a swamp in his good office pants and shoes trying to get on the 'net!

Alas there was no digital signal there! I guess Bell mobility didn't have us in mind when they designed their network. (There was analog signal though so if needed we could have reached 911)

Unfortunately we didn't find the cache. After Mrcpu climbed out of the water, complaining that he couldn't feel his feet, I managed to slip off of the log I was standing on and I also get a foot wet!

We'll have to come back in daylight for this one. After looking up the clue when we got home I think we know how to find it while staying dry!

BTW: Both our wives think we're nuts!

Ian

Mobile Cache Command

26076_400.jpg

[This message was edited by servman on April 28, 2002 at 03:51 PM.]

GPS - $250

Stinking Swamp - $0

COLD almost knee deep water -$0

Wearing "good" work cloths - $150

Smartphone to get the hint off the net - $300

REFUSING TO GIVE UP...priceless

-------------------------------------

I read somewhere that the sign of insanity is repeating the same thing over again expecting a different result.

Hmmm... I kept going back and for for about 1/2 hour searching the same area over and over again expecting to find the cache.... temporary insanity perhaps!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Hmmm... I kept going back and for for about 1/2 hour searching the same area over and over again expecting to find the cache.... temporary insanity perhaps!

Temporary insanity? You've got to be kidding. Anyone that would give up everything to go geocaching, or to be the first to a new cache (including calling in sick to work icon_eek.gif ) Is fully insane.

TJWilson

Gander NF

http://205.251.182.49/gaga My caching page

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

quote:

Temporary insanity? You've got to be kidding. Anyone that would give up everything to go geocaching, or to be the first to a new cache (including calling in sick to work icon_eek.gif ) Is fully insane.

TJWilson

Gander NF

http://205.251.182.49/gaga My caching page

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I read somewhere that the sign of insanity is repeating the same thing over again expecting a different result.

Well, I don't know about that particular sign of insanity but I've always heard that the first sign of insanity is having hair on your knuckles. icon_eek.gif

sun_smiley.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Well, I don't know about that particular sign of insanity but I've always heard that the first sign of insanity is having hair on your knuckles. icon_eek.gif

sun_smiley.gif