Need Help in Manitoulin Island

PARADS42

I need help from the Manitoulin Island fellow geocacher. Last week we visited the beautiful Manitoulin Island and we decided to hide a cache in the cup and saucer trails. But we found out that it will not be allowed because we live too far away. I would like to know if somebody can get my cache, because there is a TRAVEL BUG inside and I would like the bug to continue her travel. We will not visite the island till next year. thank in advance.

I need help from the Manitoulin Island fellow geocacher. Last week we visited the beautiful Manitoulin Island and we decided to hide a cache in the cup and saucer trails. But we found out that it will not be allowed because we live too far away. I would like to know if somebody can get my cache, because there is a TRAVEL BUG inside and I would like the bug to continue her travel. We will not visite the island till next year. thank in advance.

Now if you had read the guidelines, you'd know you can't place vacation caches...Should've fread and followed the guidelines. It prevents problems such as these...

thank you for the people who are willing to help. I would do the same if it was the other way around.

Even if it is too far a way, I know that when I go geocaching and a see a cache who needs maintenance, I try too fix it. I know there is other people in the world who are willing to help instead of criticizing others.

I would point out that the two (I believe) semi pointed comments were from cachers that are located many times more distant from the area than even you are. Help would normally have to come from locals (and did it appears).

When you place a cache outside of your normal reach (or what appears to a reviewer) to be reasonable, the onus is on you to prove to them that; you visit the area regularly and can do maintenance, have a maintenance plan in place, including ID for the maintainer, or other means of providing maintenance as required by the guidelines.

I maintain two for people who placed them before the restrictions were tightened, and watch a bunch more for others and advise them as to the conditions, then we negotiate service. In our area there were no caches placed by locals for years. That led to lots of caches placed by people from other areas as they visited. Today we are placing more ourselves (and maintaining for others re the older ones). It's natural that we want more caches to find, and that we eventually will become saturated (say in 100 years). That is why vacation caches are a bit more restricted now, to allow the locals to have some of the good spots... IMO. But consider that WE are the ones that seem to have to clean up all the abandoned caches as people drop out. Some get adopted or recreated, some get archived and the sites opened up to someone else to use. Others just get some help with maintenance. The ones I do are local classics that draw many each year to the area. Both would have been lost to everyone without some 'protection'. One was site was going to be closed to Geocaching entirely, but I managed to turn their minds with a little extra work and improving contacts there. I see it as everyone won in that case. Their location gets world wide promotion (and people do come there just for the cache), we get the cache to be active for all, and I have a little fun (and a lot of experience) doing it, meeting cachers from all over the place and locally. Good things happen too!

Anyway, take up choochoo and you should be good to go! Don't read malice into experienced people advising to keep up to date with the guidelines, it's something you agreed to do when you joined. They change and squirm around a bit wording wise from time to time. The forums are a good place to enquire about ones that you are unclear on. Remember that text is sometimes hard to tell what the 'tone' of a message is, so don't over react, then go with the majority of people you recognize by name as informed. Or if not sure still, try asking your reviewer, since they are the ones who decide. Just recognize that they are busy volunteers.

Doug 7rxc