any supernatural caches/caching experiences?

I don't want to come off as sounding like a flake but I've had enough confirmed experiences with friends and family (seeing and accurately describing things that happened to them as children that they never told anyone about) to know I'm reasonably intuit ive.

While seeking This Cache yesterday I got some very weird feelings. There are some Native American mounds at this site and I found myself becoming very lethargic and disoriented w hen I got near them. It was not a physical thing like hunger or thirst or fatigue. I know my body well enough to know the difference. It was a sort of relaxed, dreamy feeling I get when I'm about to 'see' something. But, because I was unprepared for it, it frightened me a bit which caused me to block it. As I left, which I did quickly, the feeling diminished.

Not flashy but there it is. icon_eek.gif

HardCache?

Ok I've got one.

I always hiked out past this grove of Bay trees on a steep hillside in an isolated spot.

I always got this creepy feeling and sensed a presence.

There was just "something" about this dark grove that caught my attention and I would often stop and ponder this unusual feeling whenever I passed. Since it was on a very steep hillside with no trails, I avoided an exploration, until one day, out hiking alone I got up the nerve to walk into this forboding grove, and face whatever was there.....

The dirt was unusually soft and untracked, where the Bays trees had gently dripped dew, on the barren forest floor, undisturbed for years. I trudged uphill, sinking into the powdery slope, overcomming a increasingly apprehensive panic, but breathing hard with a the determined effort to make an entrance, into that place that had haunted my imagination for years... Then my legs began to crawl...

Looking down there were SWARMS of FLEAS on my legs! I started picking them off. The vermin were kind of groggy, but comming to life. I had never seen so many fleas on my legs before! Freaked me out! I briefly looked around and saw only barren earth, on an eastern slope, covered with tall Bay trees, nothing of note and then quickly left down the hill with my skin crawling. Guess that's what was there... fleas, maybe they were just the greeting party.... I never went back.

-----

Greenjeens

quote:
Originally posted by Greenjeens:

Ok I've got one.

I always hiked out past this grove of Bay trees on a steep hillside in an isolated spot.

I always got this creepy feeling and sensed a presence.

There was just "something" about this dark grove that caught my attention and I would often stop and ponder this unusual feeling whenever I passed. Since it was on a very steep hillside with no trails, I avoided an exploration, until one day, out hiking alone I got up the nerve to walk into this forboding grove, and face whatever was there.....

The dirt was unusually soft and untracked, where the Bays trees had gently dripped dew, on the barren forest floor, undisturbed for years. I trudged uphill, sinking into the powdery slope, overcomming a increasingly apprehensive panic, but breathing hard with a the determined effort to make an entrance, into that place that had haunted my imagination for years... Then my legs began to crawl...

Looking down there were SWARMS of FLEAS on my legs! I started picking them off. The vermin were kind of groggy, but comming to life. I had never seen so many fleas on my legs before! Freaked me out! I briefly looked around and saw only barren earth, on an eastern slope, covered with tall Bay trees, nothing of note and then quickly left down the hill with my skin crawling. Guess that's what was there... fleas, maybe they were just the greeting party.... I never went back.

-----

Greenjeens

--

If it would be politic to do so, can you give a general location for this site please?

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

Visited a microcache next to a family graveyard and a small slave graveyard. Near the family graveyard, I stood and looked at the headstones. Noticed this nice fragrance in the air...kind of a soap bubble smell or fresh new laundry smell. Nice. Walked over to the slave side and looked at the rocks that marked the graves. Headed back to the family side and found the smell again..realizing that I didn't notice the smell on the slave side.

Didn't think anything at all about that until I told a friend who is a self-professed "ghost-hunter" about the cemetary and off-handly mentioned the smell. He says "cool"..I say "why?". He tells me that a sweet smell (sometimes similar to lilacs) is considered one of the first signs of a haunted area.

Then I got the chills.

-Sushi of the fisherKings

If it would be politic to do so, can you give a general location for this site please?

Sure, it's in a place called Las Trampas, "the Traps" in spanish. Supposedly named after the Ohlone Indian tribe's practice of either, trapping deer and elk by driving them into the steep box canyons or by setting traps in the chapparal to catch elk.

I'ts located within about .3 miles, up the hill SW from this cache, IIRC.

Cache: (GC3F9) Elderberry Ramble

Something else creepy happened nearby... I take this shortcut through a forested gully and late one afternoon I saw this big black cow, just standing very still in the woods. As I approach it didn't move, so I made some noise and clapped my hands. That's odd I thought....

Slowly moving closer, noticing it was not moving at all.... but it was still kneeling UPRIGHT.

Well, the eyes sockets were empty and I noticed some entrails on the ground at the rear. It was quite dead, but propped up, between a couple of trees, giving the impression it was standing.

The carcass has slumped more, 9 months later, but still upright...wierd.

Kind of use to that dead cow standing there by now. But for weeks last winter, whenever I took that shortcut, there would be the rustle of a buzzards wings in the darkened forest, rising up through the canopy as I approached....

Especially creepy, coming back alone at night that way, not sure if I was going to walk right into that rotting cow and whatever was feeding on it. So I kept the coords....

"Sentinal Cow"

N3748.475'

W12203.250

Wouldn't that make a strange cache?

A micro in the eye socket.

----------

Greenjeens

quote:

Sure, it's in a place called Las Trampas, "the Traps" in spanish. Supposedly named after the Ohlone Indian tribe's practice of either, trapping deer and elk by driving them into the steep box canyons or by setting traps in the chapparal to catch elk.

Something else creepy happened nearby... I take this shortcut through a forested gully and late one afternoon I saw this big black cow, just standing very still in the woods. As I approach it didn't move, so I made some noise and clapped my hands. That's odd I thought....

Slowly moving closer, noticing it was not moving at all.... but it was still kneeling UPRIGHT.

Well, the eyes sockets were empty and I noticed some entrails on the ground at the rear. It was quite dead, but propped up, between a couple of trees, giving the impression it was standing.

Kind of use to that dead cow standing there by now. But for weeks last winter, whenever I took that shortcut, there would be the rustle of a buzzards wings in the darkened forest, rising up through the canopy as I approached....

Especially creepy, coming back alone at night that way, not sure if I was going to walk right into that rotting cow and whatever was feeding on it. So I kept the coords....

"Sentinal Cow"

N3748.475'

W12203.250

----------

Greenjeens

Hi, Greenjeens. Nice to hear back from you :-) This one left me a bit shuddery. One of those "wierder than fiction" types of tales.

The subject line of this post reads "Genius Loci," which is a latin phrase meaning "sprit of a place, ...the place, etc., and also pertains to a guardian spirit of a place or location.

That cow kneeling upright (can you possibly take a pic or draw this thing for me?) sounds like a novel I'm working on. I'm using the Genius Loci theme, and combining it to make a spooky geocaching story. I can just see it now...

Cow ambles into woods. Cow walks between two trees (aren't boves dumb like that? icon_wink.gif ), and gets stuck. Cow moos until the...umm...cows come home, but can't be helped. Night falls and the resident Genius Loci becomes active and sucks out the cows innards through the eye sockets!

*Boo*

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. If you have anything to add to my twisted version of this story, perhaps we could add some here and there...and keep it a running tale icon_wink.gif. Just a suggestion.

P.P.S. Looking forward to the pic. icon_wink.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

quote:

"Sentinal Cow"

N3748.475'

W12203.250

----------

Greenjeens

Hi, Greenjeens. Nice to hear back from you :-) This one left me a bit shuddery. One of those "wierder than fiction" types of tales.

The subject line of this post reads "Genius Loci," which is a latin phrase meaning "sprit of a place, ...the place, etc., and also pertains to a guardian spirit of a place or location.

That cow kneeling upright (can you possibly take a pic or draw this thing for me?) sounds like a novel I'm working on. I'm using the Genius Loci theme, and combining it to make a spooky geocaching story. I can just see it now...

Cow ambles into woods. Cow walks between two trees (aren't boves dumb like that? icon_wink.gif ), and gets stuck. Cow moos until the...umm...cows come home, but can't be helped. Night falls and the resident Genius Loci becomes active and sucks out the cows innards through the eye sockets!

*Boo*

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. If you have anything to add to my twisted version of this story, perhaps we could add some here and there...and keep it a running tale icon_wink.gif. Just a suggestion.

P.P.S. Looking forward to the pic. icon_wink.gif

]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

I just went back by the "Sentinal Cow" a couple of days ago. It's amazing how well the skin is holding on, still looks very cow-ish. The head is still between the trees...not caught, just balanced.

Sorry, no camera. The effect was much better when the cow was still "standing" taller.

As far as the "story" goes, I'd never contemplated how this area was used to trap and hunt terrified animals for so long, and how similar that panic feeling might be trying to climb up that hillside where the fleas were encountered? And then there is the cow apparently "trapped" in the trees.

Some people believe intense emotions/violence get imprinted on a location. There certainly was the intensity of "the hunt" in this area, by Native Americans, noted by the early Mexicans who created vast ranches.

Then again.....

Maybe a tragic and untimely end came to the last native american "ghost hunter" at the hands of cruel Mexican Bandits, who hid out in these canyons. Caught and left to die in his own elk trap.

The place still thrills, comming alive through the terror and pulse pounding blood flush of panic from both man and beast... those who innocently venture into this ancient trap.

A Native American's earthbound spirit awaits a simple acknowledgment of his own passing and ceremony of sage smoke and hide drumming to release skyward his earthbound ghost.

The last of his once proud tribe, no one was left to guide this troubled spirit over, so it wanders lost at "The Traps". Trying to make contact, through a story without words, a frightful story of pain, cruelty and having been left behind...

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

*shudder*

It still gives me goose pimples just thinking about it. You tell it so well, I can just about "see" the imagery in my head!

I appreciate your literary imagery of the native-american hunter and hunted theme. Very intense!

Tell me, greenjeans...have you perhaps considered doing a sage and drum ritual to see if it might alleviate the "feeling" of the area? If you go ahead and do this, please let me know of the outcome, I'd be highly interested.

Have not worked on the novel much to date, but reading this thread again stirs up the imagery I've had when I first thought of the idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the update! [icon_smile.gif]. If I ever get out that way, I'm a'lookin' ya up for some "spooky" cachin'!

Best regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

*shudder*

It still gives me goose pimples just thinking about it. You tell it so well, I can just about "see" the imagery in my head!

I appreciate your literary imagery of the native-american hunter and hunted theme. Very intense!

Tell me, greenjeans...have you perhaps considered doing a sage and drum ritual to see if it might alleviate the "feeling" of the area? If you go ahead and do this, please let me know of the outcome, I'd be highly interested.

Have not worked on the novel much to date, but reading this thread again stirs up the imagery I've had when I first thought of the idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the update! [icon_smile.gif]. If I ever get out that way, I'm a'lookin' ya up for some "spooky" cachin'!

Best regards,

Firefishe

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

Nothing like an active imagination

to keep those long hikes in the woods exciting:-) Throw in a few close encounters with rattlesnakes, wild boar, coyotes, mountain lions, black bear, rabid bats, skunks, bulls, horses, wild turkeys and it's Fun Fun Fun!

It's happend so often, I'm getting a bit anxious about what kind of animal is going to cross my path next. This week a bat almost flew into my face, jeez years of watching bats and this one came _very_ close. One tiny scratch and its Rabies Vaccine time, oh boy. Last month it was a skunk stamping as I walked by.

I omitted some background to this story... years ago... I was cutting through this darkened bay forest valley nearby and encountered a rather large black bull in the woods. Well, it started walking towards me, not running but closing the distance, and it just kept comming and comming...

Very scary, all alone in this forest and this large animal just keeps comming... I finally jumped into a gully, with very deep V sloping walls and scrambled up the other side, figuring the steep slope would stop the beast. It worked, but I always keep an eye out for rogue bulls, especially in the forested areas, where there is less visibility.

Sage and drum rituals are not my area of expertise, and I'm not sure there is really anything in those woods that needs to be cleared/changed, other than in my own space. Sometimes we only play a small walk in cameo, and are not the major characters on the stage.

However, plenty of wild

sage grows nearby and I know where to get a piece of black cowhide:-)

I imagine the cow carcass has gone beyond the maggoty-yucky stage. Ever listened to the sound of thousands maggots eating/squirming in a "juicy" carcass?

Anyway...maybe just a simple sage and LOG drumming ritual then.

Never put all the Indian/hunting pieces together (including fictional accounts) until this thread. Met a man in his 60's who has hunted deer in this area, before it became a park.

I assume that early hunters already performed some kind of appropriate ritual as part of their hunt.

Some "real" native americans have cautioned... to talk about the spirits, is to invite them... something to think about.

----------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

[This message was edited by Greenjeens on November 25, 2002 at 04:28 AM.]

I did a lot of research of the area before attempting this cache. I was looking for the shortest/easiest way in. Check out my log for the cache.

I finally decided to go in through Fayville, so I did more research. I found out that Fayville is considered one of Vermont's ghost towns and there were stories about The Glastenbury Monster.

Well, while Fayville is still on the map, the town no longer exists. It was difficult finding any remains of the town.

More exciting was the X-files episode I discovered about the area and about all the people who have disappeared there. Of course I had to read the entire script; very interesting. I left my copy with hikers from Georgia who were camped on top of the mountain (hope they slept well). icon_eek.gif

In the end, Fayville was the best way in, but nothing supernatural happened. Still, I rate it as one of my favorites.

If you'd like more info do a search on Fayville, Glastenbury, and the Glastenbury Monster. Makes for great reading. And if anyone is going to go let me know. I'd love to go back.

geospotter

A bunch of earthquakes occured nearby with the epicenter of 6.6 miles west of the "Dead Cow". I felt the three major Quakes strongly! Apparently a new fault has become active, running east to west.

Returned to Las Trampas today looking for quake damage and getting better coords with an external antenna. Appears a large sandstone boulder has cracked and fallen.

Surprise, ran into another bull (farmer feeds hay near shortcut).

No kidding, he looks at me, his penis extends, and I'm thinking... oh boy, now what.... he takes a pee and then after I pass, slowly walks on, crapping away.

The meaning was clear.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program-Latest Earthquakes

Address:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/nc40138528/index.html

CISN: San Ramon Swarm

Address:http://www.cisn.org/special/evt.02.11.24/

Details (snipped)

November 26, 04:38 PST: An ML 3.7. The automatic systems have located over 50 events in this swarm, with 8 over magnitude 2.5.

November 25, The swarm began with a magnitude 3.9

November 24, a magnitude of 3.8 (ML) and third event of ML 3.5 occurred Monday morning, November 25th, at 10:22 AM.

-------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

I've collected old maps for years and spend a lot of time stomping around in the woods looking at old sites.

I've stumbled on to many geochaces and letterboxes, so I figured I’d come here and see if any of you had experienced any ‘weird’ stuff in the woods. The topic of this thread is the type of thing I’m looking for.

-Vin

Not spooky, but . . . on my first bicycle caching trip, having difficulty holding the GPSr and the handlebars, I yelled out, "This is what you need a lanyard for!" Next cache on the trail, a peanut butter jar, had a lanyard for swag and nothing else but the log. Needless to say, I took the lanyard and left something extra special. Realized I better be careful what I say? Or maybe I should ask for more! :blink:

Not spooky, but . . . on my first bicycle caching trip, having difficulty holding the GPSr and the handlebars, I yelled out, "This is what you need a lanyard for!" Next cache on the trail, a peanut butter jar, had a lanyard for swag and nothing else but the log. Needless to say, I took the lanyard and left something extra special. Realized I better be careful what I say? Or maybe I should ask for more! :blink:

More than coincidence, if you ask me.

‘Bicycle caching’? Never new it existed – and I have a business related to bicycles.

I’m sure I’ll find a topic here on bicycle caching, so I’m off to do my research.

I plan on placing a series of caches in local haunted places, most of which I have had personal experiences at, albeit not while Geocaching. Some are just well known haunted locations, and some will surprise a few people in the area, but are supposedly haunted by a local paranormal investigator. (not that the paranormal investigators are haunting it)

I plan on placing a series of caches in local haunted places, most of which I have had personal experiences at, albeit not while Geocaching. Some are just well known haunted locations, and some will surprise a few people in the area, but are supposedly haunted by a local paranormal investigator. (not that the paranormal investigators are haunting it)

Here's the hiders of the SC version of what you're thinking of. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=PiscesNAries Sadly we're not allowed in graveyards so that limits us. I have yet to experience anything supernatural while caching (unless you count this thread coming back from the dead)

...and I'm STILL eagerly awaiting the haunted series, LOL! :-) *hovering anxiously, watching for new haunted cache postings* LOL

I haven't had any paranormal experiences in my caching, but there is one cemetery in Madison, GA, that has a section of at least 51 Unknown Confederate Dead and several (I quote directly) Unknown Negro Hospital Workers - that's how the tombstones read - that really, really had an impact on me. Just the immensity of the history and the sorrow of the place was overwhelming. I wrote about it HERE. I adore history and love to think of the stories of the people who once roamed historical areas, but my imagination was in high overdrive there, LOL. By the time I left, I was literally looking over my shoulder, half-expecting to see someone watching me, LOL. It was very cool...can't wait to go back! ;)

...and I'm STILL eagerly awaiting the haunted series, LOL! :-) *hovering anxiously, watching for new haunted cache postings* LOL

I haven't had any paranormal experiences in my caching, but there is one cemetery in Madison, GA, that has a section of at least 51 Unknown Confederate Dead and several (I quote directly) Unknown Negro Hospital Workers - that's how the tombstones read - that really, really had an impact on me. Just the immensity of the history and the sorrow of the place was overwhelming. I wrote about it HERE. I adore history and love to think of the stories of the people who once roamed historical areas, but my imagination was in high overdrive there, LOL. By the time I left, I was literally looking over my shoulder, half-expecting to see someone watching me, LOL. It was very cool...can't wait to go back! ;)

That's cool. We were just there this past weekend and cleaned out all the caches in Madison. Loved that one. And we really did have someone watching us. There was a guy walking his dog on the otherside that was just watching us as we walked around. He did make things a little creepy.

And I'm still working on mine. I want to set them all out at the same time, so I'm working on building the caches and then I'll set them out and get everything ready.

Edited by nobody137