Most unusual cache container

No reflection on you, but I guess people don't want to give away all their secrets. I have a few caches planned that are (so I think) deviously contrived. But I can't reveal anything.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

OK, so we shouldn't give away what is out there ot planned, so how about the ones that are no longer out there, or discussing them with out indicating WHERE?

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

You silly ninny, no clue is needed,

its right under your nose.

its where I left it, cleverly hidden

that's how the story goes.

I have seen on these forums, caches in fake rocks, fake tree stumps, hollowed out logs/stumps, and one that was painted black and attached magnetically to the center of a bridge girder tht was in plain sight of everyone driving by, but looked like part of a bridge.

In person, just ammo cans and Rubbermaid containers. I did paint a couple of my ammo cans with rustoleum "stone" paint to make them look like sandstone, though.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Today I realized that that Pepsi can isn't quite empty... But then someone had already recycled it.

You silly ninny, no clue is needed,

its right under your nose.

its where I left it, cleverly hidden

that's how the story goes.

• 10 gallon buckets with screw-on lids, disguised as stumps

• a PVC pipe disguised as a branch

• a metal box amid a bunch of other scattered junk behind a shed on a college campus

• a box under a utility cover, flush with the ground

• in a separate compartment on a birdhouse

• a real log that had been split in half, hollowed out, then reassembled with pins and a container inside

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

I made a big decision a little while ago.

I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show

That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential

Even though it often might appear inconsequential. -- Bill Watterson

A blasting cap? You gotta be kidding. You REALLY think it's a good idea to put something that looks like explosive ordinance in a public area? You're gonna be in the paper soon. Let us know when you place it, we'll be watching for the story.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Team Travel Pig,

You really need to check out Geowyz's http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=58601 or http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=44539. Next time you are in Houston. Very interesting containers.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

http://www.texasgeocaching.comThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Yes the Alien Spawn is a really cool container

Have seen some very interesting cache containers here in Australia of late that I cant discuss as they are parts of some clever multipoint caches. And it would be giving too much away..

The one container that stands out the most for me though has been a little silver container for a cache called Tiny Shiny. It looks like a small pill box that has been covered in fake glass gems. It is only one inch high by about the same in diameter

I'm presently working on an array of caches that are going to be containers embedded in moulded concrete. That way, I can place them literally anywhere. These are similar in design to the cache rocks that are being sold. I'm also working on a "fallen log" type of cache.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

As you can see by panning up the page, mine is concrete encased in Cinder Block.

Flip it over and it is just debris.

should be fun....(as soon as I get a working GPS....)

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

I'm presently working on an array of caches that are going to be containers embedded in moulded concrete. That way, I can place them literally anywhere. These are similar in design to the cache rocks that are being sold. I'm also working on a "fallen log" type of cache.

Gee, how about working on actually FINDING some geocaches, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Mopar - if someone is unsure of himself, then trying to find caches encounters the risk of failure.

Whereas, hiding them (for some folks) can lead to a ego trip when others can't find them. They get to be a puppetmaster, kind of.

DustyJacket

[This message was edited by DustyJacket on June 14, 2003 at 08:37 AM.]

quote:

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Are you really taxing people who visit your film cannisters?

You may wish to learn the difference between assess and access?

DustyJacket

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

Gee, how about working on actually FINDING some geocaches, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Now Mopar, you know his mother smashed his GPS with a Hammer.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

icon_eek.gif WOW! I have this exact cap on the end of my cache container which is a three inch wide pvc pipe that I planted inside of a tree's trunk after I reached into it and cleaned it out about three feet down inside. The tree branches off into a Y and the cache is called Y ME. It is located on top of a mesa in Palmer Lake Colorado. You can hike up to the top of the mesa and walk across the top of the red rock, it is an awesome sight to see when you are up on the mesa. P.S.-its about fifty feet from the area where I took this photo from inside the hole in the mesa top.

I'll be watching for you from within the trees, or a cave, or under a rock, or on top of a Butte, Mesa, or a Bluff. And car lockouts are high priced and merciful on the trailhead if I have my tools, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Traveling Jones:

I guess some people dont know what a blasting cap looks like. I would hate to see one that big.

How come the needle in my compass is 68? off?

D'oh... didn't mean to say blasting CAP, but more like the post a hot wire screws onto. Whatever the darned thing is called... LOL

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCan:

It's NOT a blasting cap it is a three inch sewer pipe plug.http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/egripper2.gif

Only problem I see with it is that it says "Stand Clear While In Use". If I saw that laying on the ground, I wouldn't know what it wasn and I'd probably not want to go near.

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish:

Only problem I see with it is that it says "Stand Clear While In Use". If I saw that laying on the ground, I wouldn't know what it wasn and I'd probably not want to go near.

Same here. Even if I knew the cache was around that point, I wouldn't touch something which said that on it. Maybe if you just add the geocache logo, or www.geocaching.com then people will know it's ok.

Stu

> What was the most unusual cache container you have seen

I was at a picnic a few weeks ago and after snagging a nearby cache got to talking with some friends about neat cache containers. I had the idea of taking the model skull that I have, hinging the top of it and painting it to look like it had been in the ground for a number of years.

Of course, on reflection, I figured the cops would be called in short order by someone who didn't notice that the top of the skull opened and that would be the end of that.

89355_500.gif

I just placed a "interesting " container on the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=82883]"Over the Edge" cache north of San Bernardino...

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al

Clever concealment sans camo impresses me most of all.

don't get me wrong....camo caches are great....love them....but for pure cleverness a great hide, even if the container is an ammo box, or M&M tube, impresses me more than anything.

Wish I could give an example, but I can't....that's giving away too much info.

One of the best cache containers I've found was a microcache. It's hard to explain... It was a perscription bottle inside a large, hollowed-out tree stump/limb, which had a swiveling top to it covered the opening so that when it was set down, it simply looks like a small treestump. Like I said... hard to explain, but maybe you get it icon_razz.gif

I know caches under bridges are common, but I've seen one instance where a 20-foot wooden bridge was built over a stream *specifically* to hide a cache under. It had an attached wire cage on the bottom to hold the container.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams