Geocaching Intro App for iPhone

nkroy

Right, so I have now worked this all out and understand what I have paid for and what I have and haven't got for my money - but I must say this upgrade stuff from within app is VERY badly worded and as someone relatively new to caching after just a few months using the free app it was not clear at all. This needs to be dealt with as it will put more people off. I have paid for something I didn't need and don't have what I expected to get.

I hope Groundspeak fixes this soon.....it's obviously confusingly worded and there have been many complaints from new users who thought they were purchasing the paid app but ended up paying for Premium membership instead. I understand selling Premium memberships is an important part of keeping the lights on at the Lily Pad, but ticking off new customers right out of the gate is never good for business.

I hope Groundspeak fixes this soon.....it's obviously confusingly worded and there have been many complaints from new users who thought they were purchasing the paid app but ended up paying for Premium membership instead. I understand selling Premium memberships is an important part of keeping the lights on at the Lily Pad, but ticking off new customers right out of the gate is never good for business.

They won't.

It's hardly news and nothing has been done so far. It's not like it requires a complete rewrite of the app to add a pop-up explaining what it is you're buying.

Short-termism at its best.

From http://money.howstuffworks.com/customer-service2.htm

Studies show that a satisfied customer will tell 2-3 people about his experience with your company. A dissatisfied consumer will share their lament with 8-10 people and some will push that number to twenty.

But here's the opportunity. An unhappy customer will become a loyal consumer if you fix his complaint and do it quickly. Eighty percent (80%) of these folks will come back to you if you've treated them fairly. That percentage rises to the upper 90s if you respond immediately.

What percentage of those fooled by this misleading wording will renew their mistakenly paid for membership or even bother to buy the full app, once they realise ? Not many, I bet...certainly nowhere near the 80% mentioned.

PS: I am a Premium Member, with the full App and happy to have it auto-renew, so this issue doesn't and hasn't ever affected me directly, but it sure as shootin' affects the way I view Groundspeak now.

Edited by juc_cacher
I am a Premium Member, with the full App and happy to have it auto-renew, so this issue doesn't and hasn't ever affected me directly, but it sure as shootin' affects the way I view Groundspeak now.

Then it follows that it affects the way you view iTunes, because the vast majority of Lite versions of Apps are not upgraded within the App. There may be in-app purchases, but to get the full version, you go back into the App Store and buy it. You even see the full version listed right there on screen, before downloading the free one.

The fact that the Premium Membership offered within the App doesn't do anything for the Intro App itself, yeah, that's pretty bogus.

Edited by kunarion

Okay so basically i have been ripped off so what exactly have I got from premium upgrade through the intro app . As I am not very happy at all. I have had a great day discovering caches in my area. And now it has been ruined because I have BEEN ripped off. Will someone PLEASE explain what I have just paid £20 for as I am totally confused.

Well then! I too have been duped! I paid for the membership when what I wanted was the better app. I am two days into this geocaching hobby and already losing money. The premium membership is not something I would pay for right away but a premium app, yes. The people in charge REALLY need to make it clear that the app and the membership are totally different products.

Frankly, it's dumb.

I dunno why, but it doesn't fetch all caches. I have been standing on one, but the app didn't show it, Needed to restart it like 5 times till I could click "Found it".

I guess the "Full (12 EURO)" version does it, but I'm not gonna waste money on that.

I mean ... seriously, 12€ for a lol navigation to something I can copy/paste into google maps.

The "PRO" app version is on a thin borderline to scam.

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

Hey guys,

Sorry about all the confusion happening with the upgrade through the app. The team that is handling this is aware of the tangle and is working on making things more clear for everyone. :)

I would just like to add that I also am frustrated by the whole upgrade confusion. I do not own a handheld gps device and I started geocaching a couple of weeks ago when I downloaded the free iPhone app. After getting the hang of it I really started enjoying it, but I wondered why the website had cache's that I couldn't see on my phone. The app says 'upgrade to premium' if you want to see more caches. When I discovered that a group in my area had a coin challenge, I really wanted to do it and decided that it was time to upgrade. Since I was reading about my local challenge on the computer, I just opened another window, logged on to the geocaching website, and 'upgraded to premium' membership thinking that I would now see all the cache's available next time I used the app.

NOPE.

Now I've come to the forums to ask why, and see that this has been an ongoing confusion. The app and this website are both called geocaching, the logo and color scheme are the same, and when I use the app, it automatically updates my profile on the website. I did not realize it was two separate entities. Like someone else in this thread pointed out, I now have a premium membership (I got the $30 yearly plan) that I did not want or need, and an app that still doesn't do what I need it to do. Now I'm hesitant to upgrade the app because if I get fooled twice, it'll be shame on me.

Is there a way to get my money back for the premium membership?

Frankly, it's dumb.......

I guess the "Full (12 EURO)" version does it, but I'm not gonna waste money on that s***.

I mean ... seriously, 12€ for a lolwtf navigation to something I can copy/paste into google maps.

The "PRO" app version is on a thin borderline to scam.

How would you know if the full app is a rip off if you don't have it?

I understand you are frustrated, but if you don't have the app then save your breath on the criticism of it.

12 euros? What is that, 2 Starbucks? One martini? If you feel you can get on safari, then GC.com then the cache in question, then copy/paste coords, read description and then use google maps to navigate you while in the woods or forest, then by all means, save those 12 euros. Yes, copy/paste in google maps is so much easier.

Don't want to break the bank or send you into bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

Hi all! New user here!

Intro app just upgraded to v2.5! Whew WHO!!!!

Now I can search other cities and see a bezzillion Caches!

But, it the same but different... I can see them, but the intro app insists I upgrade to premium, And I assume it means app...

I might do that later today, but I want to check out the free ones as I travel around a bit and do some shopping...

All in all, it is a fun little app, and works VERY well! I do not know enough to know that I NEED the advantages of the Prem app or membership.

And Yes, I know they are two separate purchases. Not a big financial deal either way...

We are just going to explore some more and see which way we want to go!

Right now, I'm thinking upgrade the app for now, then later Prem. membership, then maybe a standalone device.

The key is how involved my grandson all thinks this can be. If he does not show interest, we may pull back.

BUT... If he takes off with it, we will go all in to support his new hobby!!!!!

Hi all! New user here!

But, it the same but different... I can see them, but the intro app insists I upgrade to premium, And I assume it means app...

I might do that later today, but I want to check out the free ones as I travel around a bit and do some shopping...

Beware!

I've looked locally, and the app is marking a LOT of caches as Premium Member.

I know they ARE NOT premium Member caches.

Also beware of 'upgrading' via the app. A lot of people have been caught out and ended up with Premium Membership, when they were after the advanced app.

Best option is to get the advanced app, and save Premium Membership for another day!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi all! New user here!

All in all, it is a fun little app, and works VERY well! I do not know enough to know that I NEED the advantages of the Prem app or membership.

And Yes, I know they are two separate purchases. Not a big financial deal either way...

We are just going to explore some more and see which way we want to go!

Right now, I'm thinking upgrade the app for now, then later Prem. membership, then maybe a standalone device.

The key is how involved my grandson all thinks this can be. If he does not show interest, we may pull back.

BUT... If he takes off with it, we will go all in to support his new hobby!!!!!

Whoa....hold up a second....before you make a common mistake, you need to understand the difference between the FREE intro app, the PAID or "Pro" version of the App, and PREMIUM membership on the Geocaching.com site.

First, there is no such thing as the "premium app". There's the free Intro app and the $10 "Pro" app.

Then, there is Premium membership on GC.com. Premium membership offers many advantages and perks not available to Basic members, but it does not give you a "Premium" version of the app.

So, the paid "Pro" app is one purchase ($10, one-time charge), and Premium membership is $30/year, recurring (or you can pay for 3 months at a time for $10 per 3 months membership). The two purchases (membership and the Pro app) are not related and one does not get you the other.

If you want to purchase the Pro app, DO NOT attempt to "upgrade" via the link in the app. This is to subscribe to Premium membership, NOT purchase the Pro app. If you want to purchase the app, go to whatever App Store you normally but your apps from and buy it there.

There have been quite a few new users on the Forum complaining that they thought they were upgrading the app and ended up buying Premium membership instead, and were still stuck with the Intro app. Just want to make sure you understand the difference between the two.

Whoa....hold up a second....before you make a common mistake, you need to understand the difference between the FREE intro app, the PAID or "Pro" version of the App, and PREMIUM membership on the Geocaching.com site.

First, there is no such thing as the "premium app". There's the free Intro app and the $10 "Pro" app.

Then, there is Premium membership on GC.com. Premium membership offers many advantages and perks not available to Basic members, but it does not give you a "Premium" version of the app.

So, the paid "Pro" app is one purchase ($10, one-time charge), and Premium membership is $30/year, recurring (or you can pay for 3 months at a time for $10 per 3 months membership). The two purchases (membership and the Pro app) are not related and one does not get you the other.

If you want to purchase the Pro app, DO NOT attempt to "upgrade" via the link in the app. This is to subscribe to Premium membership, NOT purchase the Pro app. If you want to purchase the app, go to whatever App Store you normally but your apps from and buy it there.

There have been quite a few new users on the Forum complaining that they thought they were upgrading the app and ended up buying Premium membership instead, and were still stuck with the Intro app. Just want to make sure you understand the difference between the two.

Thx, Chief301!

You stated much more elegantly what I already understood. Both points! Got it!!!! GOTCHA!!! LOL!!!

I just used the incorrect name, LOL!!!

Yeah, I get it that the membership is one upgrade and the app is another...

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!! But Thzx for looking out for us!

The key item in my post was that the intro app has been updated! YEAH!!!

Beware!

They're actually marked as the ambiguous "Premium". I'm assuming that any cache that doesn't fall under the "beginner" category (the ones already displayed in the Intro App) is considered "Premium".

The Intro App developers really need to work on consistency:

• Here they're calling some caches "Premium", while everywhere else these caches are either "Premium Members Only" or are in no way premium at all.
  • The Intro App sizes are different from everywhere else, with sizes like "Extra Small" (Micro elsewhere) and "Medium" (Regular elsewhere).
  • The symbology used is very different from everywhere else: Favourite points are denoted by a heart rather than the blue ribbon; D/T have brain size and a mountain respectively rather than stars; size is a relatively-sized container overlaid on top of the large icon.
  • Rather than being called the logbook, logs are under a heading called "Activity".

There are also some things that just don't make sense:

• Displaying the cache type is pointless, since the Intro App only displays Traditional caches, even if you're a Premium Member. Just say up front that that's the only cache type displayed in the app. This could even be used as a selling point to convince users to upgrade to the full app ("This app only displays Traditional caches. If you want to view the many other cache types...").
  • While the upgrade section is better than it was, it still isn't clear what effect each upgrade will have. For example, what will change in the Intro App if the user signs up for a Premium membership? (Answer: Not much, just that all Traditionals will be displayed) I think the ambiguity surrounding the two upgrade options probably turns more people off rather than convincing them to pony up the dough.

Basically, as an introduction, this app fails badly. An introduction should be teaching and preparing the user to graduate to more advanced functionality in the future. As it is, the user is being taught one set of terminology and symbology, but then they encounter a completely different environment once they move to the full app or website. The Intro App needs to be the full app - Lite, with more coaching. Right now, it's totally different and will just cause confusion.

Beware!

They're actually marked as the ambiguous "Premium". I'm assuming that any cache that doesn't fall under the "beginner" category (the ones already displayed in the Intro App) is considered "Premium".

The Intro App developers really need to work on consistency:

• Here they're calling some caches "Premium", while everywhere else these caches are either "Premium Members Only" or are in no way premium at all.
  • The Intro App sizes are different from everywhere else, with sizes like "Extra Small" (Micro elsewhere) and "Medium" (Regular elsewhere).
  • The symbology used is very different from everywhere else: Favourite points are denoted by a heart rather than the blue ribbon; D/T have brain size and a mountain respectively rather than stars; size is a relatively-sized container overlaid on top of the large icon.
  • Rather than being called the logbook, logs are under a heading called "Activity".

There are also some things that just don't make sense:

• Displaying the cache type is pointless, since the Intro App only displays Traditional caches, even if you're a Premium Member. Just say up front that that's the only cache type displayed in the app. This could even be used as a selling point to convince users to upgrade to the full app ("This app only displays Traditional caches. If you want to view the many other cache types...").
  • While the upgrade section is better than it was, it still isn't clear what effect each upgrade will have. For example, what will change in the Intro App if the user signs up for a Premium membership? (Answer: Not much, just that all Traditionals will be displayed) I think the ambiguity surrounding the two upgrade options probably turns more people off rather than convincing them to pony up the dough.

Basically, as an introduction, this app fails badly. An introduction should be teaching and preparing the user to graduate to more advanced functionality in the future. As it is, the user is being taught one set of terminology and symbology, but then they encounter a completely different environment once they move to the full app or website. The Intro App needs to be the full app - Lite, with more coaching. Right now, it's totally different and will just cause confusion.

It's been a while since I've checked in on this thread. My head hurts from this list, and I'm alarmed that it is over a month old and has no input/reply from TPTB.

This is a mess! JM2C. :ph34r:

...I'm alarmed that it is over a month old and has no input/reply from TPTB.

It is alarming, but no longer surprising (which is itself alarming!). GSHQ considers our expectations of some kind of acknowledgement to be unreasonable, so they prefer not to respond to us at all. We've been assured that posts are read, but recent changes to the website show that the content of the posts are rarely taken into consideration, so it's questionable as to whether they're actually being read.

All we can do is post our concerns and then walk away. If Groundspeak decides to use our feedback, it's here for them to consider. We won't hear anything back from them, though, because we're too unreasonable.

I have to agree that the wording in the Apple Store for the Intro App is misleading or at least unclear. I am not new to caching. I have been in the game for 5 yrs, but mostly have used a GPSr. I had a Windows Phone for the past two or so years and the Windows Geocaching App was free and worked to fill in the gaps when I did not have a GPSr loaded and ready to go. I just purchase an iPhone and was looking at the Apple Store for the Geocaching APP. I saw the free one and the wording that for $29.99 you could get premium memborship, which made it sound like you would also get the "premium app". I came here before doing anything as I already have a premium membership and wanted to see if that would qualify me for the upgraded app from the free one. That is how I found this thread which straightens out the ambiguity of GS description in the Apple Store. I know I am an old guy with fewer brain cells than others, but the clarity of what they are doing needs to be spelled out in a better way.

I think my approach is going to be that I hope I have the GPSr with me so I can plug the coordinates in to new caches when I get the text notification on the phone. It's too bad they feel they have to charge $9.99 for the improved app, when the Windows Phone APP is free. (I know this is beating a dead horse too.)

I have to agree that the wording in the Apple Store for the Intro App is misleading or at least unclear. I am not new to caching. I have been in the game for 5 yrs, but mostly have used a GPSr. I had a Windows Phone for the past two or so years and the Windows Geocaching App was free and worked to fill in the gaps when I did not have a GPSr loaded and ready to go. I just purchase an iPhone and was looking at the Apple Store for the Geocaching APP. I saw the free one and the wording that for $29.99 you could get premium memborship, which made it sound like you would also get the "premium app". I came here before doing anything as I already have a premium membership and wanted to see if that would qualify me for the upgraded app from the free one. That is how I found this thread which straightens out the ambiguity of GS description in the Apple Store. I know I am an old guy with fewer brain cells than others, but the clarity of what they are doing needs to be spelled out in a better way.

I think my approach is going to be that I hope I have the GPSr with me so I can plug the coordinates in to new caches when I get the text notification on the phone. It's too bad they feel they have to charge $9.99 for the improved app, when the Windows Phone APP is free. (I know this is beating a dead horse too.)

Resurrecting this thread from the dead because it's still an issue. I was waiting around for my car to get fixed and thought, "I wonder if that whole geocaching thing is still around." Plugged the search in my iPhone, and viola! Found the app. I was super excited and downloaded it, saw all the grey circles, and then started down this rabbit hole.

Long story short, their pricing/subscription strategy is way out of wack for such a niche market, and all this drama talked me out of getting the app or getting a subscription or anything. A subscription seems way way out of place in today's market. I'd pay $10 for an app, I've done it with many apps that I use constantly and are useful. I'd even pay for a subscription if the service was worth it. But both? This company needs to shake up its marketing department a bit, do they have the same guys that have been working there for the last 15 years? They also need to clarify what they are charging for on the app (and without having to go to this website, where I ultimately found my answer). At best they'll be refunding a lot of money, at worst they could be sued with a class-action lawsuit for deceptive practices.

tl;dr: I was going to get into geocaching today, but Groundspeak, Inc. turned me off to it in short order.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead because it's still an issue. I was waiting around for my car to get fixed and thought, "I wonder if that whole geocaching thing is still around." Plugged the search in my iPhone, and viola! Found the app. I was super excited and downloaded it, saw all the grey circles, and then started down this rabbit hole.

Long story short, their pricing/subscription strategy is way out of wack for such a niche market, and all this drama talked me out of getting the app or getting a subscription or anything. A subscription seems way way out of place in today's market. I'd pay $10 for an app, I've done it with many apps that I use constantly and are useful. I'd even pay for a subscription if the service was worth it. But both? This company needs to shake up its marketing department a bit, do they have the same guys that have been working there for the last 15 years? They also need to clarify what they are charging for on the app (and without having to go to this website, where I ultimately found my answer). At best they'll be refunding a lot of money, at worst they could be sued with a class-action lawsuit for deceptive practices.

tl;dr: I was going to get into geocaching today, but Groundspeak, Inc. turned me off to it in short order.

Here is a good description of the differences:

What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?