Ever been turned away from a cache due to a Bull?

I was hunting a multi-locational cache (pair of Quintuplets) today and needless to say I didnt bag it. The GPS said .15mi. straight west into a farmers field, ok no problem grab my gear head out into the field to be met by one lone cow who just stood there looking at me, next thing I know the cow runs away back to a much larger group of cows (must have told them I was coming) So all of them proceeded to run away. Ok I thought this this would be easy now, only .1 left to go. so I start walking when I noticed three of the cows stayed back from the rest of the herd and was watching me real close...only problem was that I had 500' to go and the three cows (Bulls?) were standing right where I needed to be..bummer! So I stood there a minute to decide what to do next, and they all started getting kinda nervous, I moved a few steps closer and they didnt like that too much, one of them started snorting, and another one was kinda hunkered down like he was fixing to charge, and the third smaller one was just kinda standing there for backup or something, well at this point I stopped and kinda stood there to see if they were going to charge, thankfully they didnt cause they would have got me since there wasnt a tree in sight. so I backed on out, they win! Maybe Ill come back at nighttime and tip em all, that'll teach em! icon_biggrin.gif

I wish I would have gotten a pic of the three, I had the camera around my neck, but I didnt think of it till later. I think the funniest part would have been to observe.

Cows 1

C-Troop 0

quote:
Originally posted by C-Troop:

I wish I would have gotten a pic of the three, I had the camera around my neck, but I didnt think of it till later. I think the funniest part would have been to observe.

Cows 1

C-Troop 0

I came across one once on a caching trip. I've been around cattle a little bit and they usually just get out of the way but this one just stared at me. I wasn't at a good angle to see if it was a bull but he wasn't backing down. I just gave him the room he needed and walked AROUND him without taking my eye off him. If he would have chared I would have had to jump into a nice cold river.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Last Tuesday night I had an opportunity to go to my cache location to do some maintenance. Even though it was raining lightly, I jumped into the Jeep and headed off for the mountains at around 6:30 pm., hoping to get the deed done and be on my way home before the coming darkness.

The trip is about 20 miles from home with the last 14 miles on forrested game roads. I arrived at the wilderness lake a little after 7:30 pm. As expected, I found no one there. The place was enveloped with an erie, foggy haze over the water and a gray palor caused by the heavy overcast. I parked at the edge of the woods where the trail around the lake begins and proceeded to unload my pack and get into my boots.

I've been there many times before but the weather that night gave a strange feel to an ordinarily familiar spot. I began walking down the trail when I heard a snort and a low growl. The roosting birds scattered from the tree tops and my skin went cold and goose-bumpy!

The area is known to be the habitat of Pennsylvania Black Bear but, sightings by hikers are a rare occurance. Without any hesitation whats-so-ever, I backed up, turned and walked at a swift pace (short of a jog) for the Jeep parked no more than 100 yards away. I got in and didn't bother looking back. The soggy log book will have to wait for the next available Saturday afternoon. icon_eek.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

went out caching last week, in the Mtns.

I left my buddy in the car and set out by myself walking along a well worn trail (tsk tsk) when I heard a large crunching sound in the bush. There's grizzlies in the area!I knew it was BIG and close, I'd never out run it! So my first thought was to shimmy up a tree a fast as I could.

I'm no more then 8ft up this big Poplar tree, when I heard whatever it was, break through and onto the path. well of course I had to see it, so I looked down from my perch and was almost face to face with a dadgum cow moose!!! WOW do they ever have BIG EYES!! icon_eek.gif

She was looking right at me and sniffing the air, just as I heard another noise comming from the same direction. Low and behold, out came her baby from the trees. She let out a low grunt and continued on her way....the same way I just came from....I waited about 10 mins, then climbed from my not so safe perch (hmmm, how the heck did I make it up there?) and headed back to the car.

When I got back to the car, my buddy asked if I saw the momma and baby moose on my way back.

all I could manage was a nod of my head and a snicker....the whole time I had my camera dangling around my neck, but never did get a picture icon_rolleyes.gif

never did make it to the cache! icon_frown.gif

Check out the picture on this virtual cache..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22522

The last photo shows a skeleton of a Moose and a human. The man had been missing for 5 years and a hunting party stumpled upon this scene. The man shot the moose but the moose got him back and they both died together in the woods.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

YEAH, I'd say I was dadgum lucky! And I'm dadgum lucky it wasn't a bear either LOL

I am MTNWOMAN hear me roar!! hehehe

Born and raised in Alberta I've spent a lot of time in the Mtns, even though they're a couple hours away. As far as I'm concerned anything that makes that much noise comming through the bush, has the right of way and you better get the hell outa it's way....I've seen alot of people do alot of stupid things around "cute" wild animals. icon_mad.gif

But on a happier note, I made another trip out there last week on holidays, and got the pleasure of seeing a Lynx!!! icon_biggrin.gif

30 plus years of going to the beautiful Rocky Mtns, and this is the first time I've seen one in the wild.... I'm still excited!

and now I have another story to tell of one of my many road trips!

oh yeah, today we saw a momma black bear with two cubs icon_smile.gif had my camera, but didn't get a pic. Oh well, we'll try again next week

quote:
Originally posted by C-Troop:

Your lucky that Moose didnt stomp the crap outta you! they are VERY protective of their young, and a bit crazy anyways. If you were on the ground it may have been your buddy writing the story instead of you.

C-Troop

Watch out during the mating season too. There was an overly stimulated moose here a year or two ago that wreaked havoc at two residences and had his way with the owners car.

Figured I'd better look it up to prove that one!

http://members.fortunecity.com/zincster/moosemobile.htm

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

I was just getting near to a cache when I saw a BIG rattlesnake coiled up in a crack under a boulder 20 feet from the cache. I came around the other side of the boulder, and he must have been OK with that because he stopped rattling. It must have been about 6 foot long or better. This was at Vasquez Rocks State Park in SoCal. Lots of movies have been filmed there, as the park has huge unusual rock formations that stick up out of the ground at about 40° angle or so.

An excerpt from a cache I logged:

I was walking along a nice worn path, down through a ravine, and from about 100 feet away I saw the cache. It was sitting in the wide open. The bag was torn as if it had been trampled a little, but the tupperware and contents were in good shape.

As I was signing the log, I notice that I wasn't alone. In fact, I had a number of spectators who seemed to be rather interested in me. I was only a little nervous about the situation, being unaccustomed to said environment, so I quickly signed my name and headed back to my truck, a small parade behind me.

The cache was located inside a pasture full of cattle. As I signed the log, probably two dozen cattle of various sizes surrounded me, and then as I walked off they all followed. I, not having often been in that situation, was a little unnerved.

Jamie

Check out the picture on this virtual cache<snip> The last photo shows a skeleton of a Moose and a human.  The man had been missing for 5 years and a hunting party stumpled upon this scene.  The man shot the moose but the moose got him back and they both died together in the woods<snip> QUOTE]

Sheesh, I always thought the roadsigns that read Moose Kill up in Maine were just warnings to slow down at night since their 2000# bodies are at windsheild hight and you won't see the grey legs until it's too late to lock 'em up.

Edited by wimseyguy

We were doing a new cache at night recently, likely to be a first to find.

The coords pointed across a fence into a paddock (which is like a field, but more Southern Hemisphere), even though the description made it sound like the cache was very near the beaten path we were on.

A complication: there was a large shape in that paddock that looked suspiciously like a bull...

Mama Bear stayed on her side of the fence while I went quietly toward where the little arrow pointed me. At about the same time as we decided that this wasn't the right spot, the bull started whuffling and pawing and obviously waking up to the fact that there was an intruder in his domain. I don't know if I could outrun a bull, and I crept away before needing to find out this time.

We decrypted the (excellent) clue, found the cache and the cache-setter subsequently updated the coords from our readings.

I've been to a cache in a big tree in a cemetery, right next to a chain link fence, and behind the fence is a lion eating a bloody bone, part of a little rural zoo-thing. Keeps you on your toes-search with one eye, one eye on the carnivore. People don't linger at this one...