user interface of favourite points in listings

nah&fern

At the moment, only the absolute number of favourites is visible in a caches listing page. All other informations/options need a click on the "favourite" page element.

I propose to

- Make directly visible if I have already given this cache a favourite point. I often wonder directly after logging a cache wether putting it on the favorites list worked. The same question arises when browsing to an older "found" cache. This feedback inside the cache listing could be done textually, with an extra icon, an modification the exiting blue icon, and/or with a different color...

- Make the possible user action "add to favourites" respective "remove from..." directly clickable without needing a click on the favourite page element first.

- Additionaly, I thinks the favourites ratio should be directly visible (personally, if find this is much more interesting than the absolute number), but I guess this is has be requested before.

One possible GUI change to incorporate all those proposals would be an little extension downwards of the existing "favourite" page element (e.g. increase it to 150% of the current height). In this extra space just the icons of the hidden options could be displayed (e.g. the add or remove icon, the pie chart, the "who favourited..." icon, and my main request the "I have/have not favourited" icon). The full options with descriptions could still be opened by clicking on the downward triangle or the upper part of the element.

To see the caches that you've given favorite points to, just check under your profile.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

Click the link to "Lists", then click the "Favorites" bar.

shortcut: http://www.geocaching.com/my/favorites.aspx

To see who has given favorites to a particular cache, that information is also easily viewed.

To the right of D/T and size, there is a dropdown menu under "Favorites". Clicking that shows the link to remove it from your favorites, the % of favorites/premiums, and "view who favorited this cache".

I don't think that a lot of changes need to be made, when it's just a matter of clicking here and there. I can't see Groundspeak being interested in doing a lot of programming to change how cache pages look to each person.

B.

To the right of D/T and size, there is a dropdown menu under "Favorites".

Yes. I know. My whole post was about its bad design :rolleyes:

I don't think that a lot of changes need to be made, when it's just a matter of clicking here and there.

Not showing the current state of an on off switch (is / is not my favourite) and hiding it instead behind "some clicking here and there" is just really bad user interface design.

To see the caches that you've given favorite points to, just check under your profile.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

Click the link to "Lists", then click the "Favorites" bar.

shortcut: http://www.geocaching.com/my/favorites.aspx

To see who has given favorites to a particular cache, that information is also easily viewed.

To the right of D/T and size, there is a dropdown menu under "Favorites". Clicking that shows the link to remove it from your favorites, the % of favorites/premiums, and "view who favorited this cache".

I don't think that a lot of changes need to be made, when it's just a matter of clicking here and there. I can't see Groundspeak being interested in doing a lot of programming to change how cache pages look to each person.

B.

Please, there's over 400 in my list. I'll get used to the new cache page and the extra clicks, but the old way was much better.

Actually, a blue or grey ribbon to the right of the cache name would be nice. If it's grey, I haven't favorited it. If I click it, it turns blue.

Another way to see what caches you've favorited is to go to

http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

The ones with the blue ribbons in the far-left column would be the ones that you've given favorite points.

B.

Yeah, and that list is over 6000. Trying to use it to check on favorites is about as easy as using it to see what cache I accidentally logged twice.

Face it. They took something that people actually used and was easily accessible, and hid it. That was a really bad move, especially since they are constantly promoting to us to use our favorite points.