Fantasy Caches! or Impossible places.

Guest Dwarf

A cache strapped to the back of a Galapagos tortoise!

Apologies to all the environmentalists out there... Honest, I was just kidding! Don't hurt me! icon_biggrin.gif

How about a multi-leg cache with each successive coordinate posted on the tips of the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Washington Monument, and Space Needle?

(You'll find your first clue at N 48 51.5333/E 2 17.5833...)

Say... has anyone placed a Bermuda Triangle cache?

-- Doppler

A cache strapped to the back of a Galapagos tortoise!

Apologies to all the environmentalists out there... Honest, I was just kidding! Don't hurt me! icon_biggrin.gif

How about a multi-leg cache with each successive coordinate posted on the tips of the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Washington Monument, and Space Needle?

(You'll find your first clue at N 48 51.5333/E 2 17.5833...)

-- Doppler

quote:
Originally posted by Doppler:

-- Doppler

A multi cache with each location at one point of the triange. The triange is made up of Bermuda, Florida, and where else?

icon_wink.gif To log this cache you must disappear in the Bermida Triangle and never be hear from again.

quote:
Originally posted by Doppler:

-- Doppler

A multi cache with each location at one point of the triange. The triange is made up of Bermuda, Florida, and where else?

icon_wink.gif To log this cache you must disappear in the Bermida Triangle and never be hear from again.

How about a time cache. Something which is only available at a precise moment in time and space.

Or a clue to a cache that can only be obtain at a certain location and time.

A cache that is only to be opened in 50 years from now.

To infinity... and Beyond

I am a member of the American Cryptogram Associaition, and I regularly break Vigenere ciphers that have about 100 letters in the message. The normal method involves calculating the keyword from the cipher text, so breaking the text does not guarantee that a person has visited the virtual geocache. icon_biggrin.gif

I am a member of the American Cryptogram Associaition, and I regularly break Vigenere ciphers that have about 100 letters in the message. The normal method involves calculating the keyword from the cipher text, so breaking the text does not guarantee that a person has visited the virtual geocache. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by geckoguy:

You guys are posting fantasy caches and no one has mentioned the Playboy Mansion?

I have several friends who go there regularly, so I could place one there, but I doubt you could get inside to log the cache. Maybe a better idea would be in the bushes outside the mansion, out of range of the security cameras. Any thoughts?

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

quote:
Originally posted by ecnum:

... so breaking the text does not guarantee that a person has visited the virtual geocache. icon_biggrin.gif

What about a Vigenere-style cipher using numbers instead of letters, and encoding the coordinates to the next leg of a multipart geocache? The first stage could lead you to a location where you can see a numeric sign, which could be used as the decryption key for the coordinates to the second stage. There's no chance of seeking language patterns. Yes, the first couple digits might be easily guessed by assuming they are relatively close to the first set of coordinates, but this is easy to compensate for by using a long key (like a phone number) or by only encoding the last few decimal places.

Thoughts?

SylvrStorm

quote:
Originally posted by ecnum:

... so breaking the text does not guarantee that a person has visited the virtual geocache. icon_biggrin.gif

What about a Vigenere-style cipher using numbers instead of letters, and encoding the coordinates to the next leg of a multipart geocache? The first stage could lead you to a location where you can see a numeric sign, which could be used as the decryption key for the coordinates to the second stage. There's no chance of seeking language patterns. Yes, the first couple digits might be easily guessed by assuming they are relatively close to the first set of coordinates, but this is easy to compensate for by using a long key (like a phone number) or by only encoding the last few decimal places.

Thoughts?

SylvrStorm

(1) The person who is reading the sign would need to know how the encipherment works to figure it out.

(2) If the key sequence is longer than the message, breaking the Vigenere is more difficult. The text on a historical marker would be a more difficult key to break than if the key is "Four score and seven years ago ....", since lots of people know the latter already.

(3) The Quagmre 4 cipher is much more difficult to break than the Vigenere. It would require three keywords, one to scramble the plaintext alphabet, one to scramble the ciphertext alphabet, and one to select which cipher alphabet shift is used for each letter of the message.

Examples of scrambled alphabets:

mildzephyrsofcubagjknqtvwx

uncopyrightabledfjkmqsvwxz

(The usual examples of the Quagmire 4 that I solve have about 350-400 letters, with a 25-35 letter swequence of the plaintext disclosed, and take me about 3 hours to unravel. Breaking it without the partial plaintext would be possible if the message were somewhat longer, but I figure that somebody who goes to all the trouble to break a Quag 4 that way deserves credit whether they went to the virtual cache or not.)

(4) Perhaps this digression about cryptanalysis should really be a different thread.)