tb numbers given out in a file and online?

Fredsjunk

Is it normal practice to give out a file containing tracking numbers at an event? for days now I have been hammered with nonstop notifications of "discovery" from "West Bend Ca$h Ba$h" some of these logs state they were given a file list of tb's while attending, others state they got the numbers from "online trackables site of trackables that attended the 2013 West Bend Cache Bash" -- I'm not overly happy that either of these lists exist. I feel if you "discover" a tb you should actually see it in person and note the number yourself. ( if not, Hey I have a list of many thousand caches, so can I log those as found?) I assume nothing can be done about this? I would love to delete all the logs, which must number well over a hundred, but that wouldnt be fair to those that may have seen tb's in person..

Just looking for others thoughts on this practice..

Is it normal practice to give out a file containing tracking numbers at an event? for days now I have been hammered with nonstop notifications of "discovery" from "West Bend Ca$h Ba$h" some of these logs state they were given a file list of tb's while attending, others state they got the numbers from "online trackables site of trackables that attended the 2013 West Bend Cache Bash" -- I'm not overly happy that either of these lists exist. I feel if you "discover" a tb you should actually see it in person and note the number yourself. ( if not, Hey I have a list of many thousand caches, so can I log those as found?) I assume nothing can be done about this? I would love to delete all the logs, which must number well over a hundred, but that wouldnt be fair to those that may have seen tb's in person..

Just looking for others thoughts on this practice..

I too am getting hammered with "discovered" logs from this exact same event. It appears that someone created a "TB event" within the West Bend Mega event and all trackable codes were compiled and shared with all the attended loggers of that event. The "event" GC4EZTV, shows 993 records and has 278 Attended logs so far. This list in theory could generate 278 discoveries by each attendee thus generating over 276,000 emails.

This was compounded by "the list" getting posted in a group on FB (I know the name of the cacher that posted it) to generate even more bogus discoveries. What's to stop this list from getting shared even further which creates the possibility of an endless loop of discoveries in the future.

Have I shared a TB list? Yes. However, I have shared a list that I personally compiled at events by writing down the codes with one or two other cachers and it certainly wasn't a MEGA event. Were they at the event, yep.

I too would love to delete the logs, but alas you are correct that there is no possible way to weed out the few that have personally touched it.

I am considering opening an additional gc.com account to transfer ownership of the infected TB to rid my primary email of the logs, which for now is just shy of 100.

Edited by alleslapp

The whole internet "discovering" of TB's has gotten out of hand but there is probably as much ability/desire to do anything as there is for the issue of missing trackables. Just something TB owners have to live with unless they want to go deleting hundreds of logs. Sometimes you just have let the hordes win.

Speaking of deleting logs, does the logger get any kind of notice for log deletions on TB? I thought that was the case on caches, but not sure about TB.

The whole internet "discovering" of TB's has gotten out of hand but there is probably as much ability/desire to do anything as there is for the issue of missing trackables. Just something TB owners have to live with unless they want to go deleting hundreds of logs. Sometimes you just have let the hordes win.

Speaking of deleting logs, does the logger get any kind of notice for log deletions on TB? I thought that was the case on caches, but not sure about TB.

Yes they do... I wish there was a bulk delete option that would also have a text-box we could enter reason for deletion.

A TB I just retrieved from a cache stats they are allowing online discoveries. I thought it was odd. I dropped the TB as soon as I could. I enjoy going to events and discovering other travel bugs and geocoins but I hand write down all the ones I personally discover. I think the whole list idea is not something I would enjoy.

I am STILL getting emails of discoveries, and unfortunately for me, somehow I was UNluckily enough to have a COUPLE of my TB's at that event. My phone's email doesnt stop buzzing.. It has really rubbed me the wrong way now.

Does anyone know of a way to Bulk remove all these discoveries? I want them gone now, although I will feel bad for any who actually did "see" it.

if no Bulk deletion, can I "disable" the tb's?

I am STILL getting emails of discoveries, and unfortunately for me, somehow I was UNluckily enough to have a COUPLE of my TB's at that event. My phone's email doesnt stop buzzing.. It has really rubbed me the wrong way now.

Does anyone know of a way to Bulk remove all these discoveries? I want them gone now, although I will feel bad for any who actually did "see" it.

if no Bulk deletion, can I "disable" the tb's?

There is unfortunately no bulk delete option. You could always email Groundspeak and have them lock/kill your trackable. I have been going through and deleting logs of people who don't show the particular mega-event as attended. It takes a little time, but that's one nice thing about multi-tabbed browsing :)

Apparently the C/O emailed all the attendees a list of the TBs. What's getting me is not only the number of folks who've logged who weren't in attendance at the event, but the fact that my trackable wasn't there, either! My trackable http://coord.info/TB50N34 has been up some mountain in Norway (http://coord.info/GC32RK1) since July! This is just a seriously unfunny joke.

That is sad, but at least by using BaseOverApex's "discovered" list, we know who used the list's with out actually seeing the tb's in person. I clicked on 1/2 dozen of those names at random, the lowest TB's they had "found/discovered" was 950, which makes me wonder how many hundreds of tb's were in the list??

If I only had the time to copy all those names in to a list, that could be emailed to the owners of the other 'discovered' tb's and we could All delete all those entries.. or maybe if those people own caches we could log "DNF at West Bend Bash" for every one of their caches -OK, I'm only kidding about that.

Dang Cheaters..

I have been reading this with interest, and forgive me if this is a silly question, but I am a newbie! :unsure:

Why do we have the option of 'discovering' TBs at all? Surely the point of being a TB is the T bit, and just finding it in a cache and not moving it (for whatever reason) makes it just another bit of swag? There is nothing to stop people logging in their comment that they have seen it (that way it is still kept track of) but why log a 'seen it'?

If the only options were retrieved, visited and dropped off we wouldn't have this problem. Or am I missing something?

As an owner, I find the PROPER USE of discovery helpful. A lot of people dont like to move TB's or if the TB has its "goal" written on it ( which my opinion is they should) and the cacher isnt going that direction, then they should discover it. This type of discovery helps by letting the owner know the tb is still alive and well and the finder still gets a 'found' point without taking the tb off in the wrong direction (another of my pet peeves) just to get that point.

I'm still getting daily emails for the discovery of these.

Here is a good one I just got. The day this guy "discovered" my TB's, which were at the event in Wisconsin this guy also Logged finding a cache near Reno Nevada.. WOW!! that is one VERY active person caching in Reno NV then getting to the all Day event in Wisconsin the same day!! Unfortunately it seems he was so Busy writing down TB numbers that he didnt get ANY caches at or anywhere near the event-- Even Better is he has just short of 3,000 cache finds and 9,000 tb's!! thats AMAZING someone can average about 3tb's in EVERY cache they find!!

I'm still getting daily emails for the discovery of these.

Here is a good one I just got. The day this guy "discovered" my TB's, which were at the event in Wisconsin this guy also Logged finding a cache near Reno Nevada.. WOW!! that is one VERY active person caching in Reno NV then getting to the all Day event in Wisconsin the same day!! Unfortunately it seems he was so Busy writing down TB numbers that he didnt get ANY caches at or anywhere near the event-- Even Better is he has just short of 3,000 cache finds and 9,000 tb's!! thats AMAZING someone can average about 3tb's in EVERY cache they find!!

There is also a cacher who is currently deployed overseas logging discoveries on the Cache Ba$h trackables. However, he does say you have his permission to delete his log if you wish. How kind of him.