Caching Date Tips/Experiences

Tomorrow night I'll be going on a 1st date with a wonderfully nerdy girl. She's never heard of geocaching before I brought it up to her and explained the basics of it. I want to show her how much fun it can be and don't want to run into too many pitfalls or letdowns (such as not finding any caches at all which is horrible for a newbie to experience) along the way so: 1) she doesn't decide that caching is stupid and never want to do it again; 2) so i don't look like an idiot, killing the chances of date 2 happening...; 3) anything not covered in 1 or 2! I'm not a newbie, per say, but I definitely haven't been caching very long and don't have that many finds as of yet, but I'm working on that. If she likes this, I'll definitely be doing more caching since she'll probably want to join me!

Any pointers from fellow cachers that have done geocaching dates before and want help me out, or at least share their positive experiences for my reassurement? Or their not so positive experiences so I know what to look out for! :D I don't really see either of these happening...but I'm a mess when it comes to keeping cool on a date. My inner-nerd usually comes out and can be scary to some of the ladies, but since she's already a fellow nerd I feel ok in that respect haha.

We're both in our 20's if that will affect any of the knowledge you might wish to bestow upon me. We'll be on foot and in the city for the start of the night (she won't be arriving until 11ish after she gets done work and drives to my place) and will be caching through the night so we can talk and not be in a huge mix of people on the streets. There's the option of jumping in either of our cars to get out of the city and do some caching in another area, which I'm really considering doing just to change things up part way through the night. She's off work the next day and I've purposely taken off work so we can enjoy ourselves and still hang out after the sun comes up. Also, I'm not the stereotypical nerd that can't handle himself...I go to the gym regularly, I'm typically carrying some type of weapon on my person (knife or handgun, yes with the proper permits) for protection and am also a hunter. Oh, and I'm sporting an Android phone (Droid Razr Maxx) and she's got an iPhone 4. I'll also have my Garmin etrex with me (currently charging) for more precise coords. I'm a premium member (just started it this past month!) and also have the paid Geocaching app for Android. Also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with the app installed and was considering taking with (but may be overkill, obviously).

I've already got a few things I'm working on to make sure everything goes smoothly, such as backup AA batteries for the GPS/flashlights and 2 external backup cell phone batteries to keep our phones juiced (you can tell I'm a nerd who likes to make sure his cell stays on at all times with 2 external battery packs already in my possession!!). A few other things I've thought of are car chargers, using pocket queries (which I've never used before).

Any thoughts are welcome, even if you're just poking fun (I've got a date with a girl who said she wanted to do this instead of me taking her to dinner...so you're really not going to upset me too much!). Thanks in advance for any help/pointers everyone!! :)

Choose larger caches with recent finds.

You could do a couple of nanos just for comparison...I hear some people actually prefer them to bigger caches! :o

Caches with a few Favorite points if possible.

Let her hold the search device and do much of the 'work', like picking which caches to go for...

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

If she starts giving any indication that she's not really having fun, be prepared with a backup plan of something else to do.

Good Luck!

Maybe start off with one you've already found to reduce the risk of not being able to find a 1/1 in case your "blinded" :)

"Really, the other caches I've found haven't been this tough to find" > said by me when bringing along some muggle friends to introduce them to the game...

(and yes, I'm still a newbie)

Edited by L&Ls_mom

Personally, I'd say that you are OOB -- Obsessively Over-Board.

Just think about it for a moment, if you will...

Going on out with somebody for the 1st time... only to find that your date has back-up overkill in every pocket to support each and every electronic device available (and in possession), not to mention literal over"kill"... she just may find it a turn-off instead of a turn-on.

Don't get me wrong, back-up is often necessary, but there comes a point... even to another nerd.

Sounds more to me that you are more prepared for Armageddon rather than a first date.

What the H happened to "spontaneity"?

True, I am from a different era. All I can say is..."Good Lord, Man"!

In a movie full of excellent funny lines, this is one of the funniest (which means I steal it alot):

"Spontaneity has its time and its place"

(Alison, in The Sure Thing, 1985)

I'd embed the Youtube of this, but I can't make it start at the time stamp I want, and the previous bit has a bad word in it. If you are over 18, click

to see it.

Meanwhile, on-topic, I'd say just be yourself. If you are that prepared when you cache normally, carry on. If not, don't be something that you aren't.

And have fun!

#1 RELAX

The date doesn't have to be perfect. If you're meant to be with each other, then just wandering aimlessly should be fun (as long as it's not in a parking lot).

However, since you did ask I would suggest picking a good location first, then checking the cache pages ahead of time to make sure they'll be easy to find and hopefully larger than a nano. If you've got a favorite hiking trail, there's nothing wrong with going there again, even if you've found the caches already. In fact, it may reduce your anxiety.

Let her hold the GPS. Let her set the pace. Probably best not to bushwack, but if you are, for heavens sake, be a gentleman and hold back the branches for her!! My friend recently went caching with a man who let the branches wack her in the face. She was not impressed.

Bring snacks. And yes, have a backup plan in case she really hates it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_
Choose larger caches with recent finds.

Caches with a few Favorite points if possible.

Let her hold the search device and do much of the 'work', like picking which caches to go for...

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

If she starts giving any indication that she's not really having fun, be prepared with a backup plan of something else to do.

Agree with all these points.

Also: RELAX.

Make sure to plan lots of breaks, check which stores may be nearby the caches you are looking for so you can stop for coffee and break up the hunt.

Let her hold a GPS and a flashlight.

If you spotted it and she hasn't, don't wait too long watching her search for it.

It's nice that you are psycho-overprepared for this adventure, but don't list everything you brought to her. Throw it in a backpack and when you need something, be like "Boom, here's some extra batteries". That's the cool way to do it.

If you can't find one, don't get mad. Just be Mr. Cool and move on to the next

I would say no to bringing her into the woods at night.

If the date goes well, make sure the last cache is near your place. B)

That's all I got...

Edit -Oh yeah, leave the f'n gun at home!

Edited by ipodguy
Maybe start off with one you've already found to reduce the risk of not being able to find a 1/1 in case your "blinded" :)
+1

When I introduce new people to geocaching, I like taking them to a cache that I've previously found for the first couple of finds. I also try to choose varied caches, so they don't get the idea that all caches are the same.

I think you're doing it backwards. Go on whatever date you want, but incorporate geocaching into it. Say...go to a great restaurant, but on the walk out afterwards (or before, on the way TO the restaurant), maybe find a nearby cache. I don't know if you're in an urban area or suburban or some place you have to drive everywhere...but I'd make geocaching secondary or incidental to the "real" date. It's a good way to showcase, in my mind, the "hidden" world around the everyday world. Maybe it'll cause her to look at places she sees every day in a new light.

Seems like a geocaching-centric date ought to be planned after a successful first date...you can plan a trip out to a nice state park or in an urban area where there are lots of different types of hides (traditional, virtual, multi, etc....and nanos up to small or regular in size).

I think you're doing it backwards. Go on whatever date you want, but incorporate geocaching into it. Say...go to a great restaurant, but on the walk out afterwards (or before, on the way TO the restaurant), maybe find a nearby cache. I don't know if you're in an urban area or suburban or some place you have to drive everywhere...but I'd make geocaching secondary or incidental to the "real" date. It's a good way to showcase, in my mind, the "hidden" world around the everyday world. Maybe it'll cause her to look at places she sees every day in a new light.

Seems like a geocaching-centric date ought to be planned after a successful first date...you can plan a trip out to a nice state park or in an urban area where there are lots of different types of hides (traditional, virtual, multi, etc....and nanos up to small or regular in size).

I agree with this one. Also, if you know of really clever hides, go find those ones too even if you've already found them. People tend to appreciate geocaching more if the hides aren't just a guard rail cache. My uncle is now hooked after two days of knowing it exists because I took him to clever ones, and then took him to easier ones.

I agree with starting off with a couple cool ones that you've already found - so she gets a feel for it, gets to see some great hides and/or containers, and so you know you'll have at least a couple that can definitely be found! :)

If she's not going to use her phone, then especially with those first couple caches, let her hold the GPS unit. Give her a bit of info on how to read it, of course, but I could imagine it being pretty boring to just follow someone else around who has the GPSr and knows where to go - so letting her hold it and take the lead should be more fun.

And yeah, I recommend taking some breaks in there! Maybe a couple caches and then a coffee shop, then a couple more caches and a late-night diner, etc. Don't burn her out on it - it will allow you two the chance to talk about other things besides geocaching, and gives her the opportunity to set the geocaching pace... if she's getting tired of it, then let her linger longer over coffee or a late-night meal... if she's really excited about it, then she'll probably be pulling you out the door to look for the next one! :D

Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to this one! (Hope I'm not too late.) (Been working at this for nine years.)

Make her an integral part of the hunt. "Here's the GPSr. Arrow is pointing 487 feet to the northeast. Follow the arrow." Explain things to the novice. "Yes. The arrow points that way, but the trail should bend around." Bite your tongue, and explain things to the novice. Perhaps condescending, but make her an integral part of the hunt. Don't lead her. Let her lead you. Using your considerable experience to explain things. It's a partnership. She's part of the team. Make her part of the team. Don't whomp her upside of the head when she stands in the middle of the area you want to search. You are working together. Guide her, but she is part of the team. Make her feel that she is contributing to the hunt.

I agree with this one. Also, if you know of really clever hides, go find those ones too even if you've already found them. People tend to appreciate geocaching more if the hides aren't just a guard rail cache. My uncle is now hooked after two days of knowing it exists because I took him to clever ones, and then took him to easier ones.

+1

The date is about getting to know her, not getting to know about geocaching. :D

Personally, I'd say that you are OOB -- Obsessively Over-Board.

Just think about it for a moment, if you will...

Going on out with somebody for the 1st time... only to find that your date has back-up overkill in every pocket to support each and every electronic device available (and in possession), not to mention literal over"kill"... she just may find it a turn-off instead of a turn-on.

Don't get me wrong, back-up is often necessary, but there comes a point... even to another nerd.

Sounds more to me that you are more prepared for Armageddon rather than a first date.

True, I am from a different era. All I can say is..."Good Lord, Man"!

Make sure to plan lots of breaks, check which stores may be nearby the caches you are looking for so you can stop for coffee and break up the hunt.

Let her hold a GPS and a flashlight.

If you spotted it and she hasn't, don't wait too long watching her search for it.

It's nice that you are psycho-overprepared for this adventure, but don't list everything you brought to her. Throw it in a backpack and when you need something, be like "Boom, here's some extra batteries". That's the cool way to do it.

If you can't find one, don't get mad. Just be Mr. Cool and move on to the next

I would say no to bringing her into the woods at night.

If the date goes well, make sure the last cache is near your place. B)

That's all I got...

Edit -Oh yeah, leave the f'n gun at home!

How did the date go? We're all dying to know. :drama:

They are busy billing and cooing...give them a day or two. :grin:

Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to this one! (Hope I'm not too late.) (Been working at this for nine years.)

Make her an integral part of the hunt. "Here's the GPSr. Arrow is pointing 487 feet to the northeast. Follow the arrow." Explain things to the novice. "Yes. The arrow points that way, but the trail should bend around." Bite your tongue, and explain things to the novice. Perhaps condescending, but make her an integral part of the hunt. Don't lead her. Let her lead you. Using your considerable experience to explain things. It's a partnership. She's part of the team. Make her part of the team. Don't whomp her upside of the head when she stands in the middle of the area you want to search. You are working together. Guide her, but she is part of the team. Make her feel that she is contributing to the hunt.

In dating, Chemistry is more important than Geophysics.

It's been three days and enquiring minds want to know,,, How was the date? :anicute:

So...everyone has been dying to hear the results eh? Well, I'm happy to be able to FINALLY get back to everyone!! biggrin.gifThanks for all of your valuable suggestions everyone, I really did take them all into consideration before embarking on this great adventure. I wanted to touch on a few particular points...

Firstly...AZcachemeister, you pretty well hit the nail on the head cool.gif I've been a bit preoccupied with this lovely lady and am sorry I've left everyone hanging so long lol This collective advice helped me secure a 2nd and 3rd date already (she arrived around 11:30PM Monday night and today is Thursday, yup). 4th date is already planned for Labor Day on Monday, so I feel like things went extra well thanks to our all night caching excursion. And no, the dates were not all caching either tongue.gif

Anyway, Gitchee-Gummee, I thought long and hard about what you said about overkill, but after I saw another comment that said if i'm usually that prepared then go for it. I'm always armed with all of this stuff, and I didn't think about that until I saw both of your responses. Not only did I end up having everything we needed, she was more than impressed with my inventory and that definitely led to further discussion. The times have definitely changed. Move over Kenny Chesney...cause "she thinks my gadget's sexy"! I completely agree with your comment regarding spontaneity however, and that pretty much prompted me to drop all plans of mapping out the night and let her pick each and every cache we visited. A big win for the night, like really big, so thanks for that!!!!

ipodguy...thanks for the Mr. Cool comments cool.gif BOOM...that DID happen haha i was prepared for Armageddon and dadgum glad I was. Everything went into a pull string bag and almost everything was used in it. Apparently those boy scouts do know what they're talking about. "Always be prepared!" *Unrelated side note...she loved that the trunk of my car was packed and ready for hiking, camping, tailgating...and of course, who can leave home without a mid-range frisbee for some random disc-golf courses on a random road trip?? definitely not this guy!* Oh, and definitely a good idea to let her hold the GPSr, she enjoyed navigating occasionally, but typically had me lead because she was too busy on the ground with the flashlight getting dirty while looking for the cache. She might not have ever cached before, but she definitely has a 6th sense, cache sense smile.gif Regarding the gun though, if i'm walking around this city at night...my gun is always on me, and/or my knife. I have a concealed carry permit for a reason, so if someone wants to try to mess with me, especially on a date...they're going to regret it. She was comfortable with it when i told her i'd have it on me, as she's aware of the dangers of the city at night too.

J Grouchy, we knew she wasn't going to get to my place until very late, so even though we were in the middle of the city there isn't much open at those off hours, at least where we were at anyway. That wasn't a problem though since she went from running on caffeine to pretty much pure adrenaline once SHE found the first cache. I was pretty excited about that, and I didn't even have to point anything out to her. She sleuthed everything out almost like she was Sherlock Holmes or something laugh.gif Also, I had planned on dinner first, before everything was closed and before we started caching. I wasn't going to tell her what our plans were going to be, I was giving her options and she pretty much flat out told me a couple of things:

1) don't get all dressed up like you need to impress me, i hate that. i'm going to wear jeans and a flannel. you can wear whatever nerdy t-shirt you want! i'll probably love it.

2) i don't want to go out to dinner, i want to find this treasure you keep telling me about. this geocaching thing sounds incredible and i don't want to waste any more time not looking for this stuff now that i know it exists. this needs to happen, soon! i'll probably get there really late, so we'll make it an all night thing!

granted, they aren't EXACT quotes, but right hand up to God they're exactly what she meant, especially from what i know about her now! Pretty awesome, i know cool.gif tattoos, piercings, gets down and dirty while being nerdy...this girl's got it all!

Harry Dolphin, you sir, you know what you're doing! You were just a little late, but i appreciate the advice nonetheless. I pretty much did this, but she picked it up crazy fast so i didn't need to do too much. Very sound advice though. She still preferred to have me lead and she liked trying to figure out the clues out loud, then would walk off with the flashlight and wind up on the ground or sitting at a different vantage point to see if she could spot the cache. It was so nerdily romantic!

Mountain Woods, you may have just provided me with one of my new favorite quotes ever. Well put! Our chemistry is ultimately what propelled this date to success, but geophysics was the vehicle smile.gif

So, Mudfrog, The_Incredibles_, and everyone else involved in the thread...was that the happy ending you were all hoping for? I know I got more than I bargained for, and can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about it!!!! biggrin.gif We now have a common love for geocaching, and things are going very well from a dating perspective...well, if you're a nerd anyway. A normal person would probably think this relationship was a joke, but the fact that I can sit this girl down and ask her what she wants to do and she points to the flat screen and xbox 360 where left4dead is loaded...where Dr. Who (both the old and new series) is queued up in netflix and she's ready to cuddle on the couch, then i don't really care what normal people think! Call me crazy, but I tell you, it's something special!! biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone!! You helped make this happen!!

All-night caching. This is hot stuff. And it sounds like you are made for each other.

Thanks for the update. Feel free to start a blog for, you know, those of us who must live vicariously. :drama:

Not a bad idea...i'm sure she'll feel the same way XD if it happens, i'll be sure you get the link! lol

I didn't mention this before, and definitely don't want to plug for them...but this was a match made on eHarmony. imagine how that blog could look over time...what an awesomely nerdy idea you've just given me! wink.gif

This is the best thread ever :)

+infinity