Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Tayger

Yup there are some definite issues with the geocaching site....looking at my PQ and it has 1 local and then the next ones are 70+ miles away....well this should make it a challenge to find a cache to log tomorrow

Fortunately not an issue here- my local community has been setting new caches like crazy for this challenge month, I'll just go get one that published tonight.

It would seem to the non-programmers thet the problem stems from terh most recent upgrade and the solution would be to UNDO all of the recent upgrade, then re-implement each single aspect of that upgrade, one per 52 week period, for the masses to do a thorough beta testing session on them.

In the meantime, work could be done on making the search function work as well as it did before it was ruined in favor of server load; or one of the MANY other requests from the actual users/customers of the site. Cosmetic changes may impress some, but the lack of function for the useful parts if the site are really disappointing us.

In meantime you can use this:

http://jeep.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

Nice but doesn't help when looking up another cachers finds.

Actually the ad for jeep works very nicely just change the www to jeep in the address and hit enter and there you go.

It's sort of like having the major sports arenas sponsored by products ... think AT&T Park for the San Francisco Giants for example ... I guess.

Cool. At least that means that the data is still there.

In meantime you can use this:

http://jeep.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

Nice but doesn't help when looking up another cachers finds.

Actually the ad for jeep works very nicely just change the www to jeep in the address and hit enter and there you go.

It's sort of like having the major sports arenas sponsored by products ... think AT&T Park for the San Francisco Giants for example ... I guess.

Sorry I don't understand how I look up what others found.

Click on their caches like you normally would, then in the address bar on your browser, replace the www with jeep and hit enter.

Wow, guys, cut them some slack. I'm sure they know there's a problem, I'm sure they're working on it now, and they'll get it fixed as soon as they can. Little patience. Jeez.

I'm a firm believer that communication can buy a lot of patience. They have the ability to put a banner on all of their web pages announcing planned downtime. Why can't anyone at HQ seem to figure out that it can be used for other purposes?

This problem persisted for ten hours before anyone acknowledged it. How much patience should be expected?

Maybe all of you folks that were so quick to sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches could get on here as quickly and thank the people that got called in on their day off to fix this.

Contrary to what some people seem to think, the Lackeys have lives to live, just like all of us.

Maybe all of you folks that were so quick to sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches could get on here as quickly and thank the people that got called in on their day off to fix this.

Contrary to what some people seem to think, the Lackeys have lives to live, just like all of us.

:D :D :D

I feel the pain the lackeys had to endure getting called in on their day off to fix a problem that should have have been on the servers in the first place. Seems there no concept of regression testing.

I feel the pain the lackeys had to endure getting called in on their day off to fix a problem that should have have been on the servers in the first place. Seems there no concept of regression testing.

Why is everyone so convinced that this was caused by the update from five days earlier? Did I miss an announcement?

Why is everyone so convinced that this was caused by the update from five days earlier? Did I miss an announcement?

I'm not convinced. I first noticed the effect on Sunday morning (August 25th). Something broke while nobody was there.

I'd never seen anything like it. It's something like the "sort" feature had failed on some links, yet most of the site was fine. Maybe there's a dedicated server to compute those specific functions. And avatar images were on the blink (separate "weekend" thing?). I figured that my new caches couldn't be reviewed due to all that, but they were published just fine, during the little glitches.

Edited by kunarion

I'm not convinced. I first noticed the effect on Sunday morning (August 25th). Something broke while nobody was there.

It was not caused by the release. An emergency change was made on Sunday morning to ease server load and it had unintended side effects.

Seriously. Why not put a banner on the pages saying that because of large server load, some site functions are temporally not available?

You'd put 5 million geocachers at ease, and keep that one computer "expert" living in his grandma's basement from formatting his hard drive in an attempt to get geocaching.com to work.