An old blurb regarding National Forests...

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

I just happened to come across this from a 21 Sep 1999 mailing of the excellent Bonehead of the Day Award list, and obviously, I thought of us.

quote:

Remember the famous "Ask not what your country can do for you but rather

what you can do for your country?"

Frank Barilone of Ellsworth New Hampshire is a great guy. He's a retired

crane operator who wanted to do something nice for everyone. He picked up

the litter at the White Mountain National Forest, raked the sand on the

beach, hauled away the trash and even built a picnic table for the park.

The response from the U.S. Forest Service? A citation for ''maintaining the

national forest without a permit'' and a $150 fine.

Guest blackjak

With all due respect to the individual that had nothing but good intentions, and in response to rdwatson, I think I would be rather upset if someone mowed my grass in my yard if I was going for the "natural" look. I disagree with the fine, but the guy could surely have asked first.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by blackjak:

I think I would be rather upset if someone mowed my grass in my yard if I was going for the "natural" look. I disagree with the fine, but the guy could surely have asked first.

But he didn't mow any grass, he just picked up litter... which helps return the park to its "natural" look, or so we would hope.

I do agree that he should have asked before placing a picnic bench anywhere in the park.

Zhanna

Guest blackjak

He didn't mow any grass, but he did rake the sand. I mean, was he going for a Zen look? And I am sure it wasn't a sand trap. Raking sand is not a natural look. Oh, and nobody would get fined for picking up litter, so that was obviously not the issue. Now lets talk picnic tables. What if the park has regulations about picnic tables? What if they had to make them extremely bottom heavy (which they do) so they don't flip on kids and end up in a legal situation? What if the wood was treated using some varnishing or stain that was not approved for safety/enviromental purposes? They just can't allow it.

Yes, well, I understand what you mean about the sand icon_smile.gif. I was thinking that he was raking the sand as part of his beach-cleaning process (to pull up litter that might have been buried down in the sand), not as a decorative touch.

And I definitely agree with you about the picnic tables, as I said.

-Zh.

Yes, well, I understand what you mean about the sand icon_smile.gif. I was thinking that he was raking the sand as part of his beach-cleaning process (to pull up litter that might have been buried down in the sand), not as a decorative touch.

And I definitely agree with you about the picnic tables, as I said.

-Zh.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I ran across the same message a few weeks ago... I was going to do some 'cut & paste' for the gang here, but I gave it too much thought and got irritated. I had the law # etc...

I LOVE the White Mountains area, I go when I can. I ski, hike and get lost there as well. It's so different from my backyard on Cape Cod. I have a 'retired map' of the area on the wall of my 'geocaching computer' area . There are quite a few caches in the park, but none have a name attached that I recognize from the forums.

As far as taking out trash in White Mountain National..... During 'Bike Week" in 2001, big mean nasty bikers helped to carry out a bunch of trash. And we talked GPS as well!

Check this site out, we're a bit short of snow

http://www.maineharbors.com/camindex.htm

CCC

Guest ClayJar

Don't get too hi-strung on this topic, you guys. It was just an example of one of those "things that make you go hmmmm." (And Park People, notice that it's in "The Unusual" forum... I'm not trying to say everyone's like this.)

Guest breaktrack

Yes, too true, don't want to get to wound up over such highly efficient park rangers.... and to think, that one saved us from a toxic picnic table, thank goodness.....

Good Grief.

------------------

Single dad looking for, dang, what the heck was I looking for again??? Where's my GPS?