Treasure Hunting Video Series

*ORIGINAL POST REMOVED*

It is rather unfortunate that certain members of this community take such an elitist attitude toward Geocaching. This is a hobby that is open to anyone and everyone around the world. This is not the secret Illuminati organization. There are over 6 million members worldwide and is meant to be fun and rewarding to a wide variety of individuals and families.

Certain members take such an ignorant position on educating other non-cachers about the world of geocaching, like its something they have to keep secret. Every person here at some point was a non-cacher until they were introduced or stumbled upon it on their own.

At first, I wanted to embrace the community because of all the good it can do for families, individuals and environment (CITO). However, after dealing with a few narrow minded individuals, I would rather do my own thing, have fun with my family, and use the resource in a manner that I personally see as respectable.

This is a website available to the general public, with many, if not most, caches placed on public land. Where I choose to travel and record is my choice; I have already indicated that I have no intention of exposing other members caches in my videos (coordinates or cache names), I am simply attempting to capture the adventure of caching.

This was my 2nd and last forum post. I will continue to enjoy caching, and capturing fun and exciting moments with my family and sharing them with my audience.

Edited by LifewithNiels

I can't tell where you live or how likely it would be that you would hunt any of my caches, but...

Please do not put any spoiler videos of my caches on YouTube.

Actually this brings up something. I think it should be don't show anything that could be a spoiler unless you have permission.

I can't tell where you live or how likely it would be that you would hunt any of my caches, but...

Actually this brings up something. I think it should be don't show anything that could be a spoiler unless you have permission.

You need to keep in mind that the videos I create are not intended necessarily for Geocachers, nor do I provide specific coordinates of the caches. In the future, I will omit the name of the actual cache because they are irrelevant to the content that I create. Any images used in my videos are basic satellite overviews of the area, but not near enough detail for any of my viewers to actually use the information to find caches.

The videos I create are not meant to be a treasure map leading the public to your caches, they are about recording the adventure getting there.

As I mentioned, I will ensure that information pertaining to the actual caches will be limited and insufficient for general viewers to actually find in all future videos.

It is unlikely that I will be in your State any time in the near future, however, if I do record any caches in that region, I will ensure that I do not provide coordinates, cache names or precise information detailing the whereabouts of any caches that may be yours. My videos are not dependant on specific details like that, nor are they intended for geocachers.

It took me all of one minute to determine the GC code of the first spoiler in your video. :unsure:

Congratulations. As I said, I will be putting more effort into concealing the identity of the actual caches in future videos. Also, it may taken you a few minutes, but you are a geocacher, and the audience I make videos for are not.

If your target is not cachers, what is your intent?

I create Vlogs about life and enjoying it. My wife, kids and I thorough enjoy geocaching as it brings our family together and is fun, and I wanted to share some of the adventures we have. The videos are entertaining to my viewers overall, but I have received many responses from my viewers, including parents, who have decided to start geocaching as a family because of what I have shown them. My objective is not to tarnish this community by any means, but it seems to me that many members act like elitists and that geocaching is some sort of secret club, which it is not.

I am able to capture the fun and adventurous side of geocaching to a large audience, while at the same time simply providing them with good clean entertainment that is appropriate for a general audience.

If your target is not cachers, what is your intent?

I create Vlogs about life and enjoying it. My wife, kids and I thorough enjoy geocaching as it brings our family together and is fun, and I wanted to share some of the adventures we have. The videos are entertaining to my viewers overall, but I have received many responses from my viewers, including parents, who have decided to start geocaching as a family because of what I have shown them. My objective is not to tarnish this community by any means, but it seems to me that many members act like elitists and that geocaching is some sort of secret club, which it is not.

I am able to capture the fun and adventurous side of geocaching to a large audience, while at the same time simply providing them with good clean entertainment that is appropriate for a general audience.

So, your goal is to show non cachers how cool this is with a hope that they'll become amused and maybe become cachers.

Please go with the advice here and stop showing other people's caches without their permission.

It is unlikely that I will be in your State any time in the near future, however, if I do record any caches in that region, I will ensure that I do not provide coordinates, cache names or precise information detailing the whereabouts of any caches that may be yours. My videos are not dependant on specific details like that, nor are they intended for geocachers.

Make it easy on yourself, and just don't include my caches in your video uploads.

As a matter of fact (as suggested) I would say you should allow the cache owners the opportunity to review and approve any such videos related to finding geocaches before you upload them.

If your target audience is not geocachers, why did you come in here to announce them to us? :blink:

There are a lot of YouTube videos out there that contain unauthorized cache spoilers.

There are some YouTube videos out there that promote geocaching activity and the fun of the hunt without offering spoilers.

Just do your best to be in the second group.

This advice is not being elitist...

===============================================

(EDIT) I only just now noticed that you completely changed your original post. So forget it, and adios.

Edited by cheech gang

My objective is not to tarnish this community by any means, but it seems to me that many members act like elitists and that geocaching is some sort of secret club, which it is not.

Elitist?

Really?

We invest time, money and effort hiding geocaches for others to enjoy finding and if we ask that they not be plastered across Internet video sites, we're elitist?

How much fun would a regular game of hide-and-seek be if the players could all watch an online video to locate the hider?

Pointless I'd say.

Presumably you've hidden some of your own and published video's of those online?