New Category: AED Defibrillators.

Hi everyone:

Setting up a new Category i wan't your opinion about it.

I do not want to submit a category to vote without discussion.

Is there something wrong in my description or do you see something importent that i forgot in it.

Plz let me know.

Here is the LINK.

Here are some examples pictures:

Sample outside a building.

Sample 2 outside a building.

Grtz & Thx.

John

I agree these are useful however I have a couple concerns about the usefulness of them being waymarks. First is anyone going to use their gps to go find one? Most that I know of are on inside of buildings, what coordinates would you want, that fact one knows they are in an airport, a mall really does not do much good. I know that in many airports and malls they will have several at various locations on different concourses and hallways, most no where near a window... do you want a waymark for each one, what coordinates do you want?

I don't doubt the usefulness of the devices I do doubt the usefulness of the waymarks.

Hi BruceS.

Thx for the 1st reply.

First is anyone going to use their gps to go find one?

- No neder i do that too for a Waymark.

I always go outside with my Camera and GPS standby.

If i see someting nice and think its maybe a WM point i shoot pictures and take the coordinats.

Most that I know of are on inside of buildings, what coordinates would you want, that fact one knows they are in an airport, a mall really does not do much good. I know that in many airports and malls they will have several at various locations on different concourses and hallways, most no where near a window... do you want a waymark for each one, what coordinates do you want?

If it's outside a building you post the coordinates were the sign stands, take a photo of the sign and/or one of the building (entrance airport or mall in the background).

Europe is not the U.S.A.

We don't have everything big.

Our malls only have one or maybe 2 entrance, airports are small also. Groningen Airport (The Netherlands) have 1 entrance, Liege Airport (Belgium) has 1 entrance. If there is an AED posted then its 1 WM for these small Airports.

In The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany they are also located at the wall of normal private houses.

Even in the smallest villages here in Europe you can find hundreds of them available 24/7.

I hope this is a good argument to defens this group. :rolleyes:

Grtz John.

I think we lost a little in translation. I have no doubt that some Waymarkers will make Waymarks for these devices. In fact if there 20 of these located in one building they will submit a Waymark for each one if you let them. The usefulness of the Waymarks is what I question. If someone needs to use one of these devices because someone is in a cardiac emergency are they going to go to Waymarking.com, look up the location of the nearest AED and then use their gps to get to it... I don't think so. They are either going to know there is one there or they are going to look for the well posted signs. Thus the usefulness of the category comes into question.

They are global, not redundant, prevalence is inside an acceptable range, BUT why should I want to waymark them? Is there any reason I should go out and look for them? Maybe I am a too simple mind, but I cannot imagine anyone looking out for them because they are so exciting.

It could be a valid category, but not a good one. Some will post them for the numbers, some post one for the icon, but nobody would be going to like it.

I am sorry to say I would vote NO on this since as prices decrease, they (AEDs) are becoming more prevalent. Of course, this is a good thing! I fear this could become like the Wi-Fi Hotspot category, where, at least in major metropolitan areas in the US, it is hard NOT to find a Wi-Fi hotspot. (NOTE: I am NOT criticizing the Wi-Fi Hotspot category, just an observation that the uniqueness of the category has been overrun by the commercial interest of having a hotspot to lure in customers.)