Remove scratches from Garmin 62sc screen

KC2WI

I set my Garmin GPSMap62sc down on the concrete base of a lightpost, lifted the skirt, found the cache, an in my haste put the corner of the skirt down on the GPS. It put a little gouge in the screen. I can't feel it but I can see it. Anyone have any luck polishing or otherwise removing scratches?

Why bother?

Battle-scars are cool! B)

Probably any of the automotive headlight cover restoration products would work.

I used to have something around that was intended for aircraft windshields, but it probably dried up ages ago.

OTOH, if you happen to try a non-compatible product, things could get worse very quickly.

Perhaps the manufacturer has some suggestions?

Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom on how to fix it.

But after you get it fixed you might consider putting on a plastic coating that protects. I bought these little clear tough-plastic shields from an office supply place years ago (each is about 3 by 4 inches and you cut them to size for each screen) and I'm still on the same inexpensive set or deck.

I put them on my cell phone, my GPSs, anything that has a screen - touch or not. They do not interfer with the visibility at all. It takes a little work carefully putting them down and working out the bubbles as you go, but the end result looks good, and it is worth it.

I dropped my eTrex 20 a couple of weeks ago, and the fall wasn't enough to do anything to the guts of the unit, but it hit the screen. All it did was tore the plastic coating. Off came the coating and on went a new -- as good as new. A lot cheaper than having to replace the unit.

I don't remember what brand they are, and I'm away from home. But you can ask for them at an office supply place.

Hope you get the screen polished or fixed or whatever.

...consider putting on a plastic coating that protects...
The sad thing is that I had just picked up on clearance for $6 a screen protector for some smart phone. I figured I could just cut the material to size and planned to do it as soon as I got home. :mad:

Argh! Perhaps you could ask a regular window repair place. We've had car windshields broken several times at various levels - chips, full line breaks, etc. - and the regular place we go to said that some simple chips and scrapes can be fixed somehow. Although that may not apply to a device. (For example, if they have to heat the glass really hot and so on; obviously doesn't work on a device.) But it's worth asking.