Most ingenious cache-hide idea I've heard yet...

I described the art of geocaching to an acquaintance I have who is gifted with a VERY devious mind.

I happened to mention the idea to him of filling a hollow metal fencepost with popcans, leaving the last few inches empty for sneaky caching. Then put the fencepost cap back on.

I then asked how HE would handle it. He smiled, and described creating a nice, narrow, boyant waterproof container. Drop that cache container into that fencepost with no popcans in it. Let it fall allll the way to the bottom.

Then put on the cache page: "To access the cache, bring a gallon of water. Look for metal fencepost." and let the rest of the folks figure it out from there.

It took about 10 seconds of me blinking to see what he was getting at... then: "OH! THAT is just plain SNEAKY!!!" icon_biggrin.gif

I LIKE the way this guy's mind works... I will definitely give you guys fair warning if he EVER gets into geocaching. icon_wink.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

I had thought of this idea... Here when they do water table tests they often leave PVC pipes sticking out of the ground. There's a natural area that was saved from development with such in it that are typically overlooked.

The only problem I've thought of is under heavy rain the floating container would float up and potentially all the way out!

Cacher's would find it lying on the ground nearby, having wasted the trip with water.

Additionally, depending on how long it takes for the water to percolate through the bottom, you might have to pour the water in really quickly to get a container to raise--and it mightn't rise enough to be picked out...

Any solutions?

Randy

Could you cap the pipe with a threaded fitting and leave holes in the top? The water could come out, but the cache couldn't. To access the cache, just unscrew the top. The fountain created during heavy rains would just be an added benefit.

BTW RJFerret your Go Fly A Kite cache was ingenious.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

The problem with the float out cache is that it would have to be light, and what happens if it gets jammed in the pipe?

A cap on the pipe may actually bring attention to it, because it would be different, and may screw up the pipe's purpose, which may be ventilation.

Also would the inserted cache STOP close enough to the top where a gallon would be enough.

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

[This message was edited by Flockmaster on June 05, 2003 at 07:11 PM.]

Just thought of this too -

After you pour the water in, cache comes up.

You sign the log/trade stuff and put the cache back in.

The water is still in the pipe and the cache will still float. Therefore, the 1st finder would have to bring water and, depending if the water drains or not, the following finders may or may not have to bring water.

Another potential problem: cachers leaving items that are too heavy. You might want to restrict the idea to a stage in a multi. Then you could just write the coordinates on a ping-pong ball.

Cool idea, but a lot to think about.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:

I happened to mention the idea to him of filling a hollow metal fencepost with popcans, leaving the last few inches empty for sneaky caching. Then put the fencepost cap back on.

I've already considered that idea for a new cache, and have tested it with simply stuffing an oversized piece of foam rubber into the pipe, leaving a few inches near the top for the cache container. Works well. Rubbing the inside of the cap with some candle wax keeps the cap from binding.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Why not put a rubber plug inside a small drilled hole at the base of the fencepost? Drilled in the right place, nobody would ever look, nor would they think twice about it being there. It would also help to ensure that the 'container' holding the container doesn't get musty with stale water for any period of time.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCan:

hook will make it easier (until someone drops the hook)

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/graph/pipehook.jpg

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

There are 2 caches down here that are as this describes. One has a black top, so that when you look in you really can't see anything, unless you have a flashlight. When I went to find this one I looked in this pipe 3 times before I saw the hook.......then I felt stupid. but in the immortal words of Forest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does" icon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

We had a good one in our area that took us more than five tries. Fishing line tied to...uh..something nearby...that you pulled up to get the cache. The cache is at the bottom of a 10-15 foot sewer. We were sondering if we had to walk into a huge tube in a nearby park and that dark, scary tube would lead to the bottom of the sewer with the geocache sitting right there.(we saw the geocache before the fishing line with a mirror that we had purchased with advise from a fellow cacher for this purpose) With this hider, we wouldn't have been all that suprised.

He also put a cache in a fencepost. You didn't need a large amount of water to get it out, though.

-wray_clan

There was a similar one in the Sacramento area called Atlantis, archived in '02. At first glance the coords are 10 feet out into a lake, then you see a bungee wrapped around a tree trunk, but it looks strangely taut. You pull on the cord and out of the water comes an ammo can!

There is a multi in our area that used the curved top cap from a standard fence post, glued a pill bottle to the inside of the pipe cap. You were directed to an offset and then had to use your compass to get to the fence where the post was. You had to remove the pipe-cap to get to the pill bottle, which had the coords for the final location.

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

quote:
There was a similar one in the Sacramento area called Atlantis, archived in '02. At first glance the coords are 10 feet out into a lake, then you see a bungee wrapped around a tree trunk, but it looks strangely taut. You pull on the cord and out of the water comes an ammo can!

I would love to do one like that here, but between last summer's drought and this years rains we have had lake level variences of almost 30 feet at some of our major lakes. I was looking for some new caches this weekend and noticed that the rings on the trees were all at the same level and above my head!

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Bo Peep & The Sheep:

The problem with the float out cache is that it would have to be light, and what happens if it gets jammed in the pipe?

A cap on the pipe may actually bring attention to it, because it would be different, and may screw up the pipe's purpose, which may be ventilation.

Also would the inserted cache STOP close enough to the top where a gallon would be enough.

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

[This message was edited by Flockmaster on June 05, 2003 at 07:11 PM.]

But then you could simply pull it up by the hook.

quote:
Originally posted by Bo Peep & The Sheep:

hook will make it easier (until someone drops the hook)

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/graph/pipehook.jpg

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

oops i meant to quote this post

What if you combined the water cache idea with the soda can idea and allowed the cans to only fill up say half the pipe and put the cache in last so the extra cans would act as extra bouyancy thus allowing for the cache to contain heavier items. Or you could a can of compress air in place of the extra soda cans. Just my take on the weight problem.

Compressed air is not bouyant, and soda cans UNDER the cache would only work if the pipe were VERY smooth inside, otherwise they would jam. icon_razz.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS is the PUBLIC face of Geocaching, when someone learns of the sport this is where they come to

learn more, what are YOU showing them?

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists

I described the art of geocaching to an acquaintance I have who is gifted with a VERY devious mind. <BR><BR>I happened to mention the idea to him of filling a hollow metal fencepost with popcans, leaving the last few inches empty for sneaky caching. Then put the fencepost cap back on.<BR><BR>I then asked how HE would handle it. He smiled, and described creating a nice, narrow, boyant waterproof container. Drop that cache container into that fencepost with no popcans in it. Let it fall allll the way to the bottom. <BR><BR>Then put on the cache page: "To access the cache, bring a gallon of water. Look for metal fencepost." and let the rest of the folks figure it out from there.<

I know of two such caches in southern oregon. Not everyone finds them on the first effort.

I just hid one that was similar. Both a CRT and water would work to get the cache. It's an easy find as the spot is the only place where a cache could possible be.

The only problem we had while placing was that our first choice for location (behind trees for screening) all the posts had standing water. This told me the post was in concrete with no way to drain. Eventaully the cache would float to the top and be stolen.

I just hid one that was similar. Both a CRT and water would work to get the cache. It's an easy find as the spot is the only place where a cache could possible be.

The only problem we had while placing was that our first choice for location (behind trees for screening) all the posts had standing water. This told me the post was in concrete with no way to drain. Eventaully the cache would float to the top and be stolen.

Sometimes you can find a post that has been drilled with a tiny little drill bit to allow the water to escape. You just have to look for them

I just hid one that was similar.  Both a CRT and water would work to get the cache. It's an easy find as the spot  is the only place where a cache could possible be.

The only problem we had while placing was that our first  choice for location (behind trees for screening) all the posts had standing water.  This told me the post was in concrete with no way to drain.  Eventaully the cache would float to the top and be stolen.

Sometimes you can find a post that has been drilled with a tiny little drill bit to allow the water to escape. You just have to look for them

ehhem

Compressed air is not bouyant, and soda cans UNDER the cache would only work if the pipe were VERY smooth inside, otherwise they would jam. icon_razz.gif<!--graemlin:;)--><BR><BR><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>THIS is the PUBLIC face of Geocaching, when someone learns of the sport this is where they come to<BR> learn more, what are YOU showing them? <BR><A HREF="http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/</A> <BR>International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists

not true. ( i assume we are talking about your standard chain link fence post here right?) what you would need to do is fill the pop cans with something with some weight. such as sand, dirt, pebbles, etc. otherwise the cans themselves will either fill with the water when poured in, or develop air pockets and rise out. but you could easily drop like three or four pop cans filled with sand (and sealed somehow!!! or the sand will soak up some of the H20) then put your cache container ( a film canister would be great) in on top of em. think of it along the linew of putting a brick in your toilet tank to displace the water. its the same principle.

hook will make it easier (until someone  drops the  hook)

We ran across something hidden in a gate post just like this recently while searching for a cache in Ashland, KY. I believe it was just a bottle of water for anyone that might want it (although none of us wanted to test to be sure.) On the bottle was written something about ELIXIR and that we could drink it... We just left the bottle there, so if you search for the Artillery cache, you may just find it like we did!

Edited by Man In The Wild
I then asked how HE would handle it. He smiled, and described creating a nice, narrow, boyant waterproof container. Drop that cache container into that fencepost with no popcans in it. Let it fall allll the way to the bottom.

Then put on the cache page: "To access the cache, bring a gallon of water. Look for metal fencepost." and let the rest of the folks figure it out from there.

Disregard the soda cans - it doesn't work consistently. I tried it. <_<

Either drill a hole in the bottom of an existing tubular fence post or bolt a pre-built pvc pipe onto an existing fence.

There is a new cache in the Phoenix area that uses the same principle as the quoted one above.

One nearby multi has binoculars at part one so you can look about 30 feet up into a tree to see another set of coordinates...

I've thought about referring to the great "bird watching" potential of an area and recommend they bring binoculars. Perhaps put a small sign on a far hill in a semi-urban area, hint could be a bearing.

I suppose if I were feeling generous, I might include the binocs...but I doubt it.

Disregard the soda cans - it doesn't work consistently. I tried it. :huh:

Either drill a hole in the bottom of an existing tubular fence post or bolt a pre-built pvc pipe onto an existing fence.

There is a new cache in the Phoenix area that uses the same principle as the quoted one above.

there was one in Cedar Rapids Iowa that was a metal camping matchstick holder that did the same thing, pretty much floated at the top of an always water-filled pole that was over 6ft high, don't remember if there was a magnet on it or not. I sure must have looked crazy in the darkness feeling around for that one.