Lost activation codes

Quossum

Hello, all!

Nowadays when I buy a coin, I retrieve its activation code and write it down to keep with the coin until I'm ready to activate it. I didn't used to be so diligent, and while cleaning up today found a stack of coins with no activation code noted. Retrieved most of them without incident, except for two found deep in the recesses of my husband's caching bag. Apparently he DID retrieve the codes at one time, but did not activate the coins...and now, (you see where this is going, right?)...those codes are no where to be found, and Oakcoins won't let you retrieve them again.

Any advice? Write to the company and explain the situation? Is there some mysterious way to get the codes?

One is a Ten Years of Geocaching coins (I think it's the "Multi Event" one, as I have a very similar one in green, and this one is red), and the other is the World Travel Coin.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

--Q

It used to be that you would email the company (Oakcoins for example) to request the activation codes with photos of the coin showing the tracking code. The pic is a proof of possession and since it's unactivated you have it because you rightfully own it. Have you tried the activation retrieval here on Geocaching.com? Sorry, I don't have a link to make your search easier.

I'm so glad someone started this thread. I've always wondered what would happen if you lost the code after retrieving it, and say you sold it to someone unactivated without a code. Part of me wants to retrieve those codes in case a company goes out of business, but I don't like having to worry about what if..... It seems safer not to retrieve the codes after purchasing.

Thank you for the advice!

I took photos of the coins, showing their tracking numbers, and wrote to Oakcoins explaining the situation and attaching the pictures. Lesson definitely learned.

Addressing Bartians's point...

Long ago I purchased several unactivated coins; I think it was through eBay. None of them came with the codes indicated, and I had to look them all up. For some, this was no problem. For others, it took a lot of hunting and was a bit of a pain. I got them all in the end, but...I would say that the best course of action would be to obtain the activation code right away and put it *with* the coin, preferably on the little card in the coin sleeve if at all possible. Then the code is associated with the coin whether one activates it oneself or sells it later. The eventual buyer won't have to jump through hoops to track them down.

If one displays them in such a way that the coin is not with its sleeve...maybe a note at the front of the book in which the coin is displayed? Would love to hear other thoughts about it.

Thanks again for the help!

--Q

If an activation code has been retrieved once, you're pretty much SOL on getting them via a web site, whether it's Oakcoins, Coins and Pins, or Groundspeak.

You're only good alternative is to e-mail GS at

contact@geocaching.com and ask them for help.

It has worked for me a number of times in the past. As recently as two weeks ago.

I have gotten lost activation codes from Oakcoins, but I did have to email them as the website wouldn't pull it up again.

I do not retrieve the codes for any coins I'm not planning to activate (hey, I have a few!). My thinking is that if the company does go belly-up then Groundspeak will take over code retrieval for them. Before they set up the activation code clearinghouse it could be get difficult to get codes if the company went out of business, but now that's pretty much a thing of the past.

(If Groundspeak goes belly-up then we have a much bigger problem!)

Update: Oakcoins happily and promptly sent me the activation codes of the two coins in response to my email with pictures. Yay! Two more to activate and send into the world (mostly by proxy except for my less-fancy coins :anibad: ).

Thanks again for the tips!

--Q