Walking Stick?

Guest LoCache

Guest LoCache

Ok, this is probably going to seem WAY off topic for Geocaching, but I assure you it ties in....

When I am Geocaching in rougher terrain, or hilly terrain, I like to pick up the nearest old tree branch to use as a walking stick. This has worked great for me, but I decided I wanted one that I keep, but haven't found any wood that was very nice for this purpose. There are plenty of places you can purchase all sorts of cool hand carved walking sticks, but I would prefer to make my own because they never seem to be the right size for me (I am tall).

SO....does anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions or knowledge on how to go about obtaining a good stick for walking stick purposes and any knowledge of how to preserve them. Types of wood, sealant to use if any? That type of stuff.

Thanks!

Geo

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

Guest Robereno

Not having gotten on the ski pole band wagon (those babies are expensive), I use ¾? schedule 40 pvc pipe cut to any length I like. I stick a cap on the end and away I go. It?s not quite a righteous as a hand carved stick but it is cheap. Also, if you ever need to hide from Bigfoot, it makes a nice snorkel.

Originally posted by LoCache:

but I would prefer to make my own because they never seem to be the right size for me (I am tall).

Guest Ron Bopp

Two years ago I had a co-worker cut me a hiking staff of Sassafrass (sp?), It was very easy to peel of the bark, and dried in the garage over the winter. My friend has since had a stroke, and was diagnosed recently w/cancer. I told his wife whenever I go into the woods "Scott" always goes w/me. She told me that would be the only way he would ever get back into the woods because of his physical problems. There's not enough money in the world to buy that staff from me!

Guest logscaler

Try looking in local thrift(junk) stores for dis-carded ski poles. The ones with the split hard plastic handles work great, even for a wading staff while fishing.

Guest GeoCraig

SO....does anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions or knowledge on how to go about obtaining a good stick for walking stick purposes and any knowledge of how to preserve them. Types of wood, sealant to use if any? That type of stuff.

The stick I use was given to me by a friend who had to clear pine trees from his mother land in Mississippi. I guess they grow like weeds there. I cleaned the bark off the stick and smoothed out the rough spots with a pocket knife. No other treatment. It has been a great hiking stick--I've used it since 1996.

Thanks!

Geo

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex[/b]

Guest boreal jeff

Beaver sticks make very nice walking sticks.

These are the sticks left after the beaver has chewed all the bark off. The bark is off so they preserve, have nice rounded ends so you don't impale yourself and they look nice.

Guest Snowtrail

My brother is 6'5" and he found a discarded hiking stick along the AT. Someone else apparently didn't want/need it anymore.

Guest chipper

I found a good walking stick that I used for years by just walking into the woods and swinging sticks into trees. I broke about a couple dozen till I found one I could not break. I peeled off the bark and used it for over 20 years.

Guest Mike_Teague

I would remind people to consider the following...

At least here in WA, in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, you cannot remove "forest products" without a permit or some such... I'd presume that means walkin' sticks also... I guess if ya find a stick made of wood in a national forest, you need to leave it there when ya leave..

I once took home a "hot-dog-roasting-stick" unintentionally though... icon_smile.gif

A good walkin' stick is just something you find.. you cannot describe it, it's just right!

Guest Mike_Teague

I would remind people to consider the following...

At least here in WA, in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, you cannot remove "forest products" without a permit or some such... I'd presume that means walkin' sticks also... I guess if ya find a stick made of wood in a national forest, you need to leave it there when ya leave..

I once took home a "hot-dog-roasting-stick" unintentionally though... icon_smile.gif

A good walkin' stick is just something you find.. you cannot describe it, it's just right!

Guest charlesml

I have one of those ski pole type walking stick. It may sounds stupid to many people for spending 60 bucks to buy one while you can find fallen woods everywhere, but for me I like to do nature photography too, and this ski pole thing can be used as a monopod which is pretty handy for me.

Guest Silver

I too use a metal walking staff. It has a shock cord running through it and folds down into a 12" bundle. I keep it in the trunk where it is ready 'just in case'.

I had been using whatever I found in the mountains, but they seem to be very soggy here in Seattle. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest Silver

I too use a metal walking staff. It has a shock cord running through it and folds down into a 12" bundle. I keep it in the trunk where it is ready 'just in case'.

I had been using whatever I found in the mountains, but they seem to be very soggy here in Seattle. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest genegarris

I use a Leiki trekking pole purchased from Sierratradingpost.com many years ago. I love it(them) I usually just take one whilst geocaching but if you are into hiking and camping at all and have any knee problem the trekking poles make all of the difference.

I keep them in the car and have used them to traverse iced over parking areas too. The carbide tip really makes all the difference in the world.

Guest Silver

Cascade Designs here in Seattle makes some great hiking staffs. Take a look here.

The Sherlock/Sherlite staffs are also very nice for not much more. The Fish Stick folds down easily into a day pack. Hope they help you as much as mine does me.

Silver

Guest Hoist

And here I thought I would be the only that scours beaver dams looking for sticks. The beaver is a fine judge of sticks and knows what to get. If you can find a beaver dam, look for the stick which has been perfectly manicured. Dry it out, and you will have a perfect walking tool. As the chap from Canada was saying, the beaver is the best source of sticks.

------------------

You will find adventure, or adventure will find you.

Guest kbraband

I've been a hiker for 30+ years and never used a stick. Tell me, why do you use them? What is the benefit? I'm not arguing -- I really want to know because I may try one sometime.

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

I've been a hiker for 30+ years and never used a stick. Tell me, why do you use them? What is the benefit?

A horse, with four legs, is more sure-footed than a human, with two. A stick cuts the advantage in half.

Guest martinp13

quote:

I've been a hiker for 30+ years and never used a stick. Tell me, why do you use them? What is the benefit? I'm not arguing -- I really want to know because I may try one sometime.

I see people hiking around with walking sticks, and think "That looks so cool... I'd love to have one of those." I find a suitable stick, and all I do is carry it around. I have good legs and good balance, so to me, the stick is worthless. Of course, I don't do any SERIOUS hiking. icon_smile.gif

It's just a personal thing!

Guest martinp13

quote:

I see people hiking around with walking sticks, and think "That looks so cool... I'd love to have one of those." I find a suitable stick, and all I do is carry it around. I have good legs and good balance, so to me, the stick is worthless. Of course, I don't do any SERIOUS hiking. icon_smile.gif

It's just a personal thing!

Guest Robereno

I never thought I would need one either and I can still get by without one (when I forget to bring it). I have however, found them convenient for several reasons. At the age of 51, when I?m crossing a creek in the Sierras, I like to have the extra support. I use the pole to prop up my back pack when resting and I like to probe for snakes when walking through tall grass.

quote:

Guest Silver

I use mine all the time. It helps get up a steep river bank when a tree isn't handy, it gives me extra purchase when crossing a stream, it helps to move brambles out of the way, and I can look in ivy and brush without worrying about nettles and snakes, and it also makes a good monopod for taking pictures.

My staff also folds up and I can stick it in my daypack when I need both hands. It also has an ice point under the rubber tip in case I get attacked by a bear or a cougar. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest Silver

I use mine all the time. It helps get up a steep river bank when a tree isn't handy, it gives me extra purchase when crossing a stream, it helps to move brambles out of the way, and I can look in ivy and brush without worrying about nettles and snakes, and it also makes a good monopod for taking pictures.

My staff also folds up and I can stick it in my daypack when I need both hands. It also has an ice point under the rubber tip in case I get attacked by a bear or a cougar. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest LoCache

ng for cache boxes in thick debris (like a swampy area I recently found where I wasn't about to stick my hand in the underbrush!). And if you are truly crafty it can do all sorts of other things like save your life! makeshift fishing pole, makeshift lean-to pole, etc ,etc. If you carry rope, a strong stick, fire device, first aid kit you can do just about anything.

Down side it that you have to lug it around and there are times where I HATE that.

LoCache

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

Guest EraSeek

RNG BE OR RNGRA!

Decryption Key:

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by LoCache:

If you carry rope, a strong stick, fire device, first aid kit you can do just about anything.

Of course, you should always have your towel with you (see The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy).

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Of course, you should always have your towel with you (see The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC ClayJar, but have you heard the terrible news that Douglas Adams passed away about week ago (he had a heart attack in the gym, he was only in his late 40's, I think). It's a pity, but there will be no more additional books in the HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy trilogy. icon_frown.gif

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

Of course, you should always have your towel with you (see The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC ClayJar, but have you heard the terrible news that Douglas Adams passed away about week ago (he had a heart attack in the gym, he was only in his late 40's, I think). It's a pity, but there will be no more additional books in the HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy trilogy. icon_frown.gif

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest kimbeattie

I love my walking stick! It comes in very handy when going up or down steep inclines. I'd have fallen and rolled off of more than one hill without my stick! It is also good for poking at things and under things and into dark places. I have "high tech" walking stick made of a lightweight & strong metal with a built in spring (to cushion some of those downhill jolts) and it telescopes into a size that can pretty well fit into my daypack. (Yes it does kind of look like a ski pole, but as a card carrying geek, I couldn't just use a piece of wood!) icon_smile.gif

Guest kimbeattie

I love my walking stick! It comes in very handy when going up or down steep inclines. I'd have fallen and rolled off of more than one hill without my stick! It is also good for poking at things and under things and into dark places. I have "high tech" walking stick made of a lightweight & strong metal with a built in spring (to cushion some of those downhill jolts) and it telescopes into a size that can pretty well fit into my daypack. (Yes it does kind of look like a ski pole, but as a card carrying geek, I couldn't just use a piece of wood!) icon_smile.gif

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Of course, you should always have your towel with you (see The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy).

You sass that hoopy ClayJar? Now there's a frood who knew where his towel was. :~)

Guest Drygulcher

You can make a really cool walking stick if you can find a hardwood sapling that's been grown 'round with grape vine or honeysuckle, enough to make the sapling grow in a spiral. Once you've dried out the sapling, debarked it, and dug the vines out of the grooves, you can varnish it and a have a functional piece of natural art.

------------------

The Drygulcher

"It's so dry out here, the bushes follow the dogs around."

Guest stevewz

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff:

Beaver sticks make very nice walking sticks.

These are the sticks left after the beaver has chewed all the bark off. The bark is off so they preserve, have nice rounded ends so you don't impale yourself and they look nice.

This is a great idea, and I have personally found them to be very sturdy and long-lasting (my main walking stick is over 14 years old and has literally saved my life on two separate occasions ... 'nother story).

Here's a great place to find them, of the Western Red Cedar variety (on the Sandy River, Oregon ... east of Portland):

Park here: 45 deg. 27' 27" N, 122 deg. 15' 41" W

Walk north until you find the well-marked trail. Follow it to a junction for a trail descending down the hill at: 45 deg 27' 26" N, 122 deg. 15' 56" W

Follow the trail down hill until you spot the river, then bushwack to a large set of snag piles on a large gravel bar at: 45 deg. 27' 34" N, 122 deg. 15' 46" W

Beware... there are cougars in this rather compact rain forest river valley.

Guest psigney

t 18 inches and, for Geocaching, has a large compass built into the handle. What I found amusing is that one of the accessories is a ?Y? shaped device that fits into the handle, to allow its use a monopod-shooting stand. Now that will protect against Bears and cougars;

My local Sporting good store had a beautiful hickory stick that was about 7 feet tall, and cost about half of the high Tec one, but since I travel, I wanted the folding ability

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by stevewz:

(my main walking stick is over 14 years old and has literally saved my life on two separate occasions ... 'nother story).

To say that and then stop... that's just not fair. icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by stevewz:

(my main walking stick is over 14 years old and has literally saved my life on two separate occasions ... 'nother story).

Guest JasonW

I'm in the hi-tech aluminium alloy (Duralumin to be precise) trekking pole camp here too - mine came from www.mountainking.co.uk excellent little local (well to me at least) firm who made a custom pole for me (I'm 6'6"/2.00m tall) that extends to the right length.... it weighs next to nothing and telescopes down to about 18in/45cm when not in use.

Sure I can get by without it - but when poking around under bushes for caches it does allow greater reach icon_smile.gif

Guest JasonW

I'm in the hi-tech aluminium alloy (Duralumin to be precise) trekking pole camp here too - mine came from www.mountainking.co.uk excellent little local (well to me at least) firm who made a custom pole for me (I'm 6'6"/2.00m tall) that extends to the right length.... it weighs next to nothing and telescopes down to about 18in/45cm when not in use.

Sure I can get by without it - but when poking around under bushes for caches it does allow greater reach icon_smile.gif

Guest martinp13

Well, y'all have talked me into it... I'm gonna fork over the bux for a stick. I'm waffling between the Cascade Designs Compact Travel Staff and the Leki Sierra AntiShock. Hopefully the local store has both so I can feel em. The Dallas REI was so depleted and disorganized that I just walked out. icon_frown.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (gonna load WAAS update soon!)

No time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

[This message has been edited by martinp13 (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest martinp13

Well, y'all have talked me into it... I'm gonna fork over the bux for a stick. I'm waffling between the Cascade Designs Compact Travel Staff and the Leki Sierra AntiShock. Hopefully the local store has both so I can feel em. The Dallas REI was so depleted and disorganized that I just walked out. icon_frown.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (gonna load WAAS update soon!)

No time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

[This message has been edited by martinp13 (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

I've been using the Cascade Design's Sherlock Travel stick for a while and it is pretty nice. True on some hunts it is a pain in the butt to bring with me,much less use, but for the most part it is a valuable asset. In fact it has saved my asset a few times now that I think about it. ;~) Nice little addition to the equipment bag if you do geocaching solo.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Hard Slate

As much as I like a natural stick, I think I will look for a collapsable stick with a camera mount on the handle. Even though a natural is free and usually found within the first mile and doesn't hurt your feelings as bad to watch it float downstream without you.

Hard Slate

Guest walkerk

A bamboo staff with tape around the ends to prevent it from splitting is lightweight, strong, and often free for the taking. Also, it can double as a makeshift fishing or tent pole.

At the other end of the spectrum, my favorite "stick" comes from James Smith and Sons (http://www.james-smith.co.uk/). If you're in London it's a great place to visit.

Guest stevewz

quote:

This may be more appropriate for a new thread, but here it goes:

I'm backpacking along the Pacific Crest Trail, just north of Lolo Pass, and the trail has about a 15' snow bank across it, sloped at a 45 deg. angle, with a long drop off (100+ feet) on the downhill side. My feet slipped out from under me and I start to slide off the cliff ... but my walking stick was down in the snow about 18".

It broke off where it emerged from the ice, leaving the 18" tip stuck at an angle down in the ice, barely still attached to the main shaft. I'm left there with nearly my entire body dangling over the cliff, hanging onto the end of my walking stick (which is now in a severe "L" shape, and the other end wedged into the ice).

I pulled myself back up the walking stick and dug a few hand holes into the ice for more grip. As soon as I got some better hand holds and got out of immediate danger, the end of my stick broke completely off.

Later that same day, I'm descending down a 90% grade hillside trying to get to a road (my knees/ACL are shot and I've got to get help). I'm inching my way painfully down the near cliff, when I slip. I slide down the hill about 10 feet, picking up speed, and just as my body shoots over a tall rock outcropping, my walking stick catches between two trees. I had been holding it in the center of it's length and when I slipped, I ended up flailing it above my head, perpendicular to my body.

There I was, hanging by one hand on the middle of my walking stick, which was wedged on the uphill side of two small sapplings, and everything but my shoulders was hanging out over open space.

I spun around and grabbed the stick with my other hand and pulled myself up to safety. I looked down, and if I had fallen, it would have been at least a 50' drop to the rocks below.

That walking stick saved me from falling to near certain death twice in the same day.

Guest stevewz

quote:

This may be more appropriate for a new thread, but here it goes:

I'm backpacking along the Pacific Crest Trail, just north of Lolo Pass, and the trail has about a 15' snow bank across it, sloped at a 45 deg. angle, with a long drop off (100+ feet) on the downhill side. My feet slipped out from under me and I start to slide off the cliff ... but my walking stick was down in the snow about 18".

It broke off where it emerged from the ice, leaving the 18" tip stuck at an angle down in the ice, barely still attached to the main shaft. I'm left there with nearly my entire body dangling over the cliff, hanging onto the end of my walking stick (which is now in a severe "L" shape, and the other end wedged into the ice).

I pulled myself back up the walking stick and dug a few hand holes into the ice for more grip. As soon as I got some better hand holds and got out of immediate danger, the end of my stick broke completely off.

Later that same day, I'm descending down a 90% grade hillside trying to get to a road (my knees/ACL are shot and I've got to get help). I'm inching my way painfully down the near cliff, when I slip. I slide down the hill about 10 feet, picking up speed, and just as my body shoots over a tall rock outcropping, my walking stick catches between two trees. I had been holding it in the center of it's length and when I slipped, I ended up flailing it above my head, perpendicular to my body.

There I was, hanging by one hand on the middle of my walking stick, which was wedged on the uphill side of two small sapplings, and everything but my shoulders was hanging out over open space.

I spun around and grabbed the stick with my other hand and pulled myself up to safety. I looked down, and if I had fallen, it would have been at least a 50' drop to the rocks below.

That walking stick saved me from falling to near certain death twice in the same day.