Making my first geocoin

DragonsWest

I was struck by an idea yesterday (didn't hurt much) and I've been giving it a lot of thought (and lost no small amount of sleep over it last night.)

So I have Illustrator CS6 and Photoshop CS6 for design work, so colors and export formats won't be any kind of issue.

Ideas are furiously being scribbled out on a pad and should firm up in a week or so. Alas, it's likely to be a non-round coin, probably square or rectangular, nothing set in bronze yet.

Design and planning tips are welcome.

I am looking forward to see your design ! I ordered my first coin 2 months ago and can't describe the feeling i had when i received the samples. They worked out exactly the way i had in mind.

I can advise you to partner up with a coin vendor with experience in producing coins. Sure your coins will be a bit more expensive but they can advise and help you on your design and planning.

Edited by Dofferson

You might want to consider picking up one of these books from a very well known and respected geocoin designer, Chris Mackey. He wrote this book specifically for people who want to learn tricks and tips on designing their own coin. This is the trackable version of the book, but there is a non-trackable version as well on the same site.

While I'm still working off a tentative design in a sketchbook, I'm working out elements in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Wow. Had no idea how time consuming this would be. :)

I think I have settled on a rectangular or square coin (aware pricing will be a tad more) but nothing else radical planned. Lots of tiny details to work on, but that also is giving me some time to think about finish and colors and moving some elements to greater prominence.

It will happen. B)

The worst bit of this is when you are really "in the zone" - stoked and creating - and you look at the clock and realize you have to go to bed. Inspiration and work going at a frenetic pace now. Should have something to show soon. :)

Got up this morning and scribbled more thoughts into my scratch pad, as the design firms up.

Coin design final (cross fingers) has been submitted. Get invoice in a couple days, make payment, then fret for a couple weeks waiting for the sample to arrive. If all looks good I'll put in the order for 100 (about all I can afford) for local event in January.

Is it Groundspeak you submitted the final design to for approval? Or is that still to come?

Looking forward to details and pics. !!! It will be trackable ... ?

Coin design final (cross fingers) has been submitted. Get invoice in a couple days, make payment, then fret for a couple weeks waiting for the sample to arrive. If all looks good I'll put in the order for 100 (about all I can afford) for local event in January.

Is it Groundspeak you submitted the final design to for approval? Or is that still to come?

Looking forward to details and pics. !!! It will be trackable ... ?

Yes, it will be trackable. I've been working with Oak Coins. I presume they get the official Okey-dokey from Groundspeak.

It's all original artwork, so shouldn't be any conflicts with GS on anything.

Edited by DragonsWest