Pointless Geocachers

No, not a thread saying "Did you see those cachers on the popular BBC1 afternoon quiz show Pointless?" Not even asking if anyone wants to join me in applying - although that would be cool. My editor failed to do his half of the application, so I am still looking for a partner.

No, what I'm looking for is 100 cachers, preferably from outside my area, to use 100 seconds to answer each of a series of questions, so I can hold a caching pub quiz based on the Pointless format at some point in the future.

If you're game, please email me through my profile and I'll send you instructions and the list of questions. Copy and paste the questions into a reply email, add your answers and send. Easy!

I hope you're able to help. Any help would be very helpful :laughing:

I love quizzes and trivia but can't bear game shows, so unfortunately I've never watched it. Can you give a bit more info about the format. I'd love to help but want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for something tricky! ;)

In the real world it might go something likethis:

100 people are given 100 seconds to name as many Charles Dickens novels as they can, the answers received are then tabulated. (this is the bit SP wants us for - we're the benchmark if you like).

Then in the contest two contestants are asked to name 1 Charles Dickens novel, but they have to name the one they think was least popular in the answers above, so no point guessing David Copperfield 'cos about 90 of the 100 would have named it, however not many people would know Barnaby Rudge. The contestant who gives a correct answer with the lowest number of answers from the 100 people above wins, extra kudos is given for a pointless answer, i.e. a correct answer which none of the 100 people knew.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Thanks Marty. This BBC page or Wikipedia also have info on the show. It's a quiz format which seems to work particularly well for show-offs (like myself) and the hosts get a lot of plaudits for keeping it fun too.

Thanks too to everyone who's responded so far. I'm BCC-ing you all into a draft email I'll send out next week. I doubt I'll get to 100 people but tell your caching friends. I'll post in some Facebook groups I'm in too (avoiding my local one!) but any help with that would also be very useful. Cheers again! :D

Edited by Simply Paul

Well like I said, I'm not a fan of gameshows, but reading MrCryptic's post (after seeing it mentioned so often on here) gave me the incentive to scan a few episodes.... and I have to say it's not entirely awful! ;) (high praise indeed!)

I found myself strangely drawn to the bloke in the glasses and a bit of investigation has revealed this:

http://www.heatworld.com/Celeb-News/2011/12/The-Heat-Weird-Crush-2011/

which actually sort of makes sense that he won the award in 2011!!!

No, not a thread saying "Did you see those cachers on the popular BBC1 afternoon quiz show Pointless?" Not even asking if anyone wants to join me in applying - although that would be cool. My editor failed to do his half of the application, so I am still looking for a partner.

No, what I'm looking for is 100 cachers, preferably from outside my area, to use 100 seconds to answer each of a series of questions, so I can hold a caching pub quiz based on the Pointless format at some point in the future.

If you're game, please email me through my profile and I'll send you instructions and the list of questions. Copy and paste the questions into a reply email, add your answers and send. Easy!

I hope you're able to help. Any help would be very helpful :laughing:

I'm addicted to "Pointless", I'm afraid. :rolleyes: I assume the rules will be that you're not supposed to consult reference books, internet etc when answering the questions because the studio audience would be answering under those conditions. Count me in anyway.
Yep, me too. Love it. And you're quite correct, the questions must be answered under 'exam conditions'; no Internet, no books, no asking a relative.

For those without a TV, you can still see Pointless - legally - via iPlayer, so long as you're not watching live.

Thanks for all those who've dropped me an email, offering help. I'm planning to put the questions to people later this week but am still about 35 short of my 100-folk target. If you can let your caching friends know about my request, that would be kind :)

Thanks for all those who've dropped me an email, offering help. I'm planning to put the questions to people later this week but am still about 35 short of my 100-folk target. If you can let your caching friends know about my request, that would be kind :)

A few days ago, I popped a message on the Hampshire geocachers group of a well-known social networking site which I won't name coz I'm not sure if we're allowed to...;) and that seems to have generated a couple of replies at least. So anyway, I've popped it on the Sussex one too today. I do hope you get your 100 helpers!

Oh yes, please split teams into however many there are of you - it explains this on the email I'm still working on. The 30 questions should take about an hour to answer, allowing for question-reading time. That's more than I need but if it goes well, it'll leave me material for a follow-up quiz or two, without having to recontact everyone.

Forwarding the email to other cachers is fine, but please avoid people in my general area (Bucks, Beds, Herts, Oxon to a lesser extent) as I'm trying to keep the categories under wraps until the big Quiz Night.

Please don't just say 'I'll do it' here; I'll quickly lose track of who's in. Please email me through my GC.com account (click on my name!) so I have your email address please.

Cheers again for the help! :D

Questions all done - with impovements due to the originals being wiped!

Final call for help on this as I think I'm still short of my 100 person target, even with teams splitting into individuals. I'll be sending emails out on Saturday so those of you who've already messaged/emailed me, stand by your inboxes, and thanks again! :D

Emails all sent, so if you've not heard from me directly, you've slipped through the net. Let me know here (since you don't like emailing, it seems!) and I'll be in contact.

If you have the questions, please do them as soon as you have a spare hour; I have a lot of collation ahead of me and early replies will save me a lot of panic later. Thanks :D

Have I Got News For You! (a panel show, not a quiz show, so therefor misleading):

Clear your calendar for Sunday lunch and brain squeezing at the charming Seven Stars pub in Dinton (nr Aylesbury) on September 22nd. Literally weeks of work have gone into planning this quiz. It's unlike any pub quiz I've held before. It's totally... Pointless!

Pointless Geocachers! GC4M581

Reminder: After I've used-up some of the questions I've been asking cachers to answer to be my '100 people we asked', I'll post them and stats on this thread.

Bump for this as some emails are still coming in - the cut-off really has to be Friday night - and as a reminder the event is this Sunday. I'm picking up a projector tomorrow and have a full multimedia experience planned. This is geocaching pub quizzing taken to a whole new level :D

Thanks again everyone who helped. I've had 70-odd replies, which is enough to make a worthwhile competition.