GPS GARMIN ETREX LEGEND

rqbrook

You will end up being sorely disappointed with a Legend (especially if there is no suffix (H, HC, HCx).

Will it work for geocaching? The short answer is yes, it will. BUT, even the Garmin spec sheet says that it is not "geocaching friendly", according to this link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod173.html .

Unless you can acquire a serial/USB data cord, entries into the unit must be done by hand -- that becomes cumbersome after perhaps 10-15 entries. It has a serial interface and I do not think that you can buy a computer today that uses serial ports any more.

The grey-scale screen leaves a bit to be desired, the mapping program installed (factory) is good, but it is a base map only -- major roadways and little else.

If not a "H" model or higher, the signal reception will be lost far more than with most any current unit (antenna design).

Again, it will work for geocaching, but be forewarned that you will either:

a] lose interest in geocaching -- primarily because it is "clunky" to use;

b] stay with geocaching -- and get a better unit (putting this one on a shelf and forgetting about it);

c] start happy and stay with geocaching because you acquired a newer, better unit (saving the money you put out for ).

The desirable features you should look for are USB interface port; color screen (secondary); a model wherein the specs state that it uses a high-sensitivity antenna (or is a high-sensitivity receiver); expandable memory (SD or microSD card slot).

I realize that price may be an issue, but you really should set your goal for what you need, then reach for it... rather than to purchase based solely on price alone.

Personally I would consider it a good unit if it were free or perhaps nearly so.

I use the legend and love it, but the previous reply is correct that it is clunky for geocaching. The serial adapter cord necessary for uploading points will run you $40. The base map is very minimally detailed and outdated. This is an extremely bare bones unit but that is why I like it. I basically want a device that gives me a bearing and distance to cache. I like to do the rest of the navigating with good old map and compass work. There is also a known issue with the screen display cable coming loose and blanking out, it only happens enough on my unit to be a minor nuisance and a good thump on the side clears it right up. All in all there are "better" units with more features, more detailed maps, and easier data interfaces, but if you're a minimalist like me the legend will get you through.

What is your budget for a GPS? Might I recommend the Garmin eTrex 10? It is much better suited for geocaching.

And probably 6-7 times more expensive than what original poster is possibly acquiring.

I'd not pay more than $15 for a used Legend even if in nearly pristine condition.

Biggest problem with the Legend (I own one), as I see it, is that the GPS module in it is old.

This means it could lose a satellite lock under even moderate tree cover, and you can't tosh it in your backpack

handsfree to track your walk - it will lose lock.

Edited by tr_s

What is your budget for a GPS? Might I recommend the Garmin eTrex 10? It is much better suited for geocaching.

And probably 6-7 times more expensive than what original poster is possibly acquiring.

I'd not pay more than $15 for a used Legend even if in nearly pristine condition.

Biggest problem with the Legend (I own one), as I see it, is that the GPS module in it is old.

This means it could lose a satellite lock under even moderate tree cover, and you can't tosh it in your backpack

handsfree to track your walk - it will lose lock.

I used to use the Legend (not the "H" version). What I really didn't like was it's lack of paperless geocaching.

And if you are buying used, a quick look on ebay will find you a good used GPS in your price range. Like this, or this.

*Please note: Rinerts is not responsable for anything that happens on ebay!:P*

Thank you!! I agree, it's an old gps device...it's better buy another one a little more expensive like eTrex 10 or maybe the 20 (yes, i found one really cheap). I don't want to spend over 100€ :) but i want a gps for the next 3 years at least.

Really, thank you for posting your opinions ;)

I love geocaching and i'll invest on it!

Thank you!! I agree, it's an old gps device...it's better buy another one a little more expensive like eTrex 10 or maybe the 20 (yes, i found one really cheap). I don't want to spend over 100€ :) but i want a gps for the next 3 years at least.

The eTrex 20 would be an excellent choice. Most all that have one love it and would not part with it.

The eTrex 20 would be an excellent choice. Most all that have one love it and would not part with it.

Yes, I happen to be one of those people! I love my eTrex 20! :D

(And I have a friend who loves his eTrex 10:rolleyes:)

I just had a Garmin Etrex Legend given to me. I bought a serial/USB cable from monoprice and I still can't get the computer to even see the Garmin. I'm using Firefox Mozilla and Windows 7, any suggestions? I have hooked it up turned off, on, and hooked it up then turned it on, off and back on, no recognition at all. I have the interface set to Garmin Serial. Help!!

He posted above

I just had a Garmin Etrex Legend given to me.

:)

My first founds where all made with an Etrex Legend HCx that works 'til today :D

I also have an Etrex Legend HCx and the only thing that doesn't work is the car plug in. I use it for my on-bike GPSr.

I got a Montana because I wanted paperless caching and better/easier map reading.

Actually, the Legend was my 2nd GPS, back in 2007.. and the GPS I found my 1st cache with. (the classic yellow eTrex just didn't cut it on my 1st attempt.) it's WAAS capable, includes a basic base map. the interface is RS-232, opposed to the newer units which are USB, but as some mentioned, there are USB-Serial adapters. (either go with the direct, or USB to DB-9, then the Garmin DB-9 to 4-pin flat. Pretty sure I've seen direct line (USB-4pin flat) on EBAY.. (not sure if they also carry voltage through to the other pin?)

It's old-tech now, not sure if Garmin still supports it anymore.. (I.E. if the Web Updater will find a new firmware for it anymore?)

It wasn't immune to an old problem eTrex models had, with the rubber seal letting go. (If it got wet, then heated-up, say on the dash in sunlight, or the defroster, the adhesive would turn to goop, and let go.)

It still was a rugged device! I still have mine.

If it's within your price range (yes, I know this thread started back in March, 2013) I'd say go for it! the cables are still available out there, either from Garmin, some of their suppliers (went to Cabellas last week, and they still had new cables in their racks.) but expensive if you go with Garmin's label. (much cheaper ones on EBAY, but your mileage may vary on the quality.)

Stephen (gelfling6)