New Cache Type? - Lab Cache

fendmar

Oh, well. Not buying a smartphone to find one of there. Caches that require more than just a GPS?!?

They were doable without a smart phone at the block party. They handed out a sheet with all the coordinates. You could then go online with a computer/laptop and log them that way after finding them.

Sounds like they're temporary code-word caches.

That count in your find count.

But don't show up in statistics or count for souvenirs.

<_<

Prediction - Groundspeak is about to disallow multiple attended logs at events. Event owners will be invited to create lab caches instead.

Question - will puritans accept these?

I was a bit confused and unsure about them until I went out and did them. I'm liking them at this point. Sure, they are temporary and all that, but I think it gives a good outlet for mega events to allow people to "officially" do something that some areas are doing anyway. This way people can do something that's part of the event, and not move too far away from the event so it's still a group thing.

The one that I enjoyed the most was the devil duckies. They were at an outdoor area that had a bunch of running water fountains. There were a lot of duckies in the different fountains and you had to upend them to find the code.

IMG_7365_zps4f4667f5.jpg

Event owners will be invited to create lab caches instead.

Does someone know if this is the plan? And will they only be allowed at Megas?

According to the blog post they were available at the block party and will become available for mega events. Which means for those that don't have the luxury of living near Seattle or in a country which has enough cachers to create a mega event you're going to have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to travel to a mega event in order to obtain the special icon.

Event owners will be invited to create lab caches instead.

Does someone know if this is the plan? And will they only be allowed at Megas?

According to the blog post they were available at the block party and will become available for mega events. Which means for those that don't have the luxury of living near Seattle or in a country which has enough cachers to create a mega event you're going to have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to travel to a mega event in order to obtain the special icon.

But you have the special icon and maybe a new Souvi for a country or state you haven't cached in. How AWESOME would that be? :lol:

So? If I want to attend the Olympics, visit Antarctica, or fly in space, then I likely will have to spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars to do so. I'm quite capable of setting priorities and making decisions.

Edited by CanadianRockies

A better question: Will those folks who are so self despising that they must apply negative labels to those they disagree with accept these?

I have no idea who you are talking about.

But just in case you find the p-terminology negative and have the mistaken impresssion that I apply the label to every one that I disagree with, let me assure you that my feelings are mixed and I'm taking a wait and see position for now.

I thought I understood Grounspeak's rationale for the permanance guideline and not accepting temporary caches. I also continue to see no need for code-word verification and seriously doubt this is going to prevent logging abuse. I can pretty well predict that there will be code-word trading going on at mega-events with Lab caches. I suspect that some people will spend the day creating a list of code-word that they will give to their friends to enable logging. I've seen lists of trackable codes passed around and don't think that lab cache codes will be any different.

On the other hand, I am fully aware that geocache style activities are a common fixture at many large events - no only mega-events - and that depending on location it is either difficult to set up a bunch of permanent caches - and these caches get archived shortly after the event due to lack of maintenace in any case. Being that I don't view the find count as a score, I am not the least bothered when people log mutiple attended at an event to record finding temporary caches not listed on GC.com. However there are some people - a subset of which are those whom I would label with the p-word - who seen to get very aggitated by this practice.

I see these caches as an attempt to create something to put what is already being done in a format that will not upset as many people. The question I asked is whether those who take a particularly extreme stand against logging of temporary event caches will really be placated by lab caches.

Of course they won't please everyone, nothing ever does. But I think they are a nice new addition that shows Groundspeak is trying to create some variety and choices within the game. I'm sure people were sharing codes, but it probably wasn't very many, because there were so many people wandering around at the same time. We had a blast wandering Fremont, and if we had just sat around sharing codes the only people we would have cheated would have been ourselves.

I was a bit confused and unsure about them until I went out and did them. I'm liking them at this point. Sure, they are temporary and all that, but I think it gives a good outlet for mega events to allow people to "officially" do something that some areas are doing anyway. This way people can do something that's part of the event, and not move too far away from the event so it's still a group thing.

The one that I enjoyed the most was the devil duckies. They were at an outdoor area that had a bunch of running water fountains. There were a lot of duckies in the different fountains and you had to upend them to find the code.]

That girl on the left took my picture when I found the duckie code! And we followed her around for a few of the caches. Which means we must have been there around the same time as you...

So? If I want to attend the Olympics, visit Antarctica, or fly in space, then I likely will have to spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars to do so. I'm quite capable of setting priorities and making decisions.

Well said.

We enjoyed completing both labs at the Block Party. WE have yet to see any icons. The finds were added to my total finds... but screwed up my stats numbers for milestones. Will this be fixed once the icon appears on my finds?

I see 13! Lab caches under your profile. How'd that happen??

The one that I enjoyed the most was the devil duckies. They were at an outdoor area that had a bunch of running water fountains. There were a lot of duckies in the different fountains and you had to upend them to find the code.]

That girl on the left took my picture when I found the duckie code! And we followed her around for a few of the caches. Which means we must have been there around the same time as you...

Oh, goodness. We probably walked right by each other. :laughing:

But I think they are a nice new addition that shows Groundspeak is trying to create some variety and choices within the game.

Do you really think so? I've never regarded events and even less mega-events as geocaching. If soccer players have a party after a game, I do not regard this as part of soccer. Megaevents might have a large participation, but yet their number is very small and almost neglectible when compared to the overall number of caches around the world. To me this lab cache thing more or less looks like an attraction mainly thought up for the block party, a type of event that might well offer a lot of fun to many, but still is not what geocaching means for me. There are many things in the world that are fun, but are not geocaching: parties and socializing belong to that group for me.

Cezanne

But I think they are a nice new addition that shows Groundspeak is trying to create some variety and choices within the game.

Do you really think so? I've never regarded events and even less mega-events as geocaching. If soccer players have a party after a game, I do not regard this as part of soccer. Megaevents might have a large participation, but yet their number is very small and almost neglectible when compared to the overall number of caches around the world. To me this lab cache thing more or less looks like an attraction mainly thought up for the block party, a type of event that might well offer a lot of fun to many, but still is not what geocaching means for me. There are many things in the world that are fun, but are not geocaching: parties and socializing belong to that group for me.

Cezanne

I tend to be a literalist. I understand that events are not technically "caches". But to me, the social aspect of geocaching is very important, so I'm glad that Groundspeak has events. I've hosted quite a few events over the years, starting with the first event in my community in 2003.

In regards to the labs, the smilies weren't really the draw for me, I was there for the socialization and the icon. But I do not care either way if they award smilies or not for them. I think I'm mellowing with age in some areas and some things just aren't worth stressing over. This is Groundspeak's site, and if they want to do labs and if people enjoy doing them, then good on them! I'm glad that people are having fun!

I tend to be a literalist. I understand that events are not technically "caches". But to me, the social aspect of geocaching is very important, so I'm glad that Groundspeak has events. I've hosted quite a few events over the years, starting with the first event in my community in 2003.

In regards to the labs, the smilies weren't really the draw for me, I was there for the socialization and the icon. But I do not care either way if they award smilies or not for them. I think I'm mellowing with age in some areas and some things just aren't worth stressing over. This is Groundspeak's site, and if they want to do labs and if people enjoy doing them, then good on them! I'm glad that people are having fun!

Thanks for the clarification. I do not feel stressed over lab caches or the block party. I do not mind the existence of events and have enjoyed some smaller ones myself - at a megaevent I would run crazy however, but that's something personal. I do not regards events as part of geocaching however, but as a side activity where geocachers can meet. This was the reason why I asked my question regarding your statement stating that with lab caches Groundspeak is creating some variety and choice within the game. What I have seen so far, lab caches only seem to offer some kind of caches that are suitable for mega events, but I cannot see something innovative or special in them. Temporary caches hidden for events is something that have been around for many years - the lab caches now only provide an official means to log them as found it on the website of gc.com. That is nothing bad in itself, but can hardly be called innovative and does not really fit to the term laboratory from my point of view. Don't get me wrong. Personally I do not think that geocaching needs innovations. My point is rather a philosophical one.

Cezanne

Geocache Permanence

Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

Well I guess it's time to edit the guidelines. :unsure:

Thanks for the clarification. I do not feel stressed over lab caches or the block party. I do not mind the existence of events and have enjoyed some smaller ones myself - at a megaevent I would run crazy however, but that's something personal. I do not regards events as part of geocaching however, but as a side activity where geocachers can meet. This was the reason why I asked my question regarding your statement stating that with lab caches Groundspeak is creating some variety and choice within the game. What I have seen so far, lab caches only seem to offer some kind of caches that are suitable for mega events, but I cannot see something innovative or special in them. Temporary caches hidden for events is something that have been around for many years - the lab caches now only provide an official means to log them as found it on the website of gc.com. That is nothing bad in itself, but can hardly be called innovative and does not really fit to the term laboratory from my point of view. Don't get me wrong. Personally I do not think that geocaching needs innovations. My point is rather a philosophical one.

Cezanne

I'm leaning towards how Cezanne feels. I'm not getting a good feeling about Lab caches. Rather than more variety and choice, the type seems to be another way to add more smileys to your count. I can see the push to plant hundreds of Lab caches at an event, so people can rack up lots and lots of smileys.

I see how it's a good promo for Block Parties/Mega Events, more people will travel very far and wide for more smileys (as seen by people who plan out-of-state or out-of-country holidays around the ET highway power trail). I hope it doesn't trickle down to regular events. If they do, I can see people hosting "events" just to offer lots of Smiley (Lab) caches.

Edited by Löne r

Yeah...when I see "lab cache" I think of them trying to branch out and try different styles of cache. This seems more just like a "sub-event cache" or "activity cache".

As for event caches in general...I've only been to one - a meet and greet at a local bar & grill in town. I logged it, but I still felt like I didn't really earn a smiley for the day with just that one.

Well, "new" is a relative word. Obviously, temporary caches and code word caches were around a long time ago. But using them in this manner is a "new" thing. I don't think that Groundspeak is trying to pretend anything else. They've seen this as a need, and they are filling it in an official way. I think that it is a good thing.

It sounds like Groundspeak is emphasizing the experimental testing aspect, so then I would assume they would only be relegated to Block Party events or large events hosted by Groundspeak only, where Groundspeak can test their new ideas. Am I understanding this correctly? So if GS tests a code-style cache, does this mean they are considering bringing code-style caches into the real world of all geocache hiders? Or is this a way for GS to get around it's own rules just for one day (temporary caches, .1 mile rule), to attract more folks to GS events?

Sounds like they're temporary code-word caches.

That count in your find count.

But don't show up in statistics or count for souvenirs.

<_<

Prediction - Groundspeak is about to disallow multiple attended logs at events. Event owners will be invited to create lab caches instead.

Question - will puritans accept these?

Yep, and it's been reported that some are already passing around the code words so their friends back home on the other side of the globe can log them as well. Policing the bogus logs would be impossible.

At least this validates our position in the two, "Let's have code word caches", threads from a few months back.

I can imagine the free for all if we were allowed to create a hundred or so Lab caches for our monthly M&G. Of course, none of them have to actually exist. Just log them and get your score bumped. Kind of like "discovering" Geocoins from a list when you never ever saw the actual coin.

I think that the most important thing about these lab caches is that I can totally ignore them.

Cezanne

I'm leaning towards how Cezanne feels. I'm not getting a good feeling about Lab caches. Rather than more variety and choice, the type seems to be another way to add more smileys to your count. I can see the push to plant hundreds of Lab caches at an event, so people can rack up lots and lots of smileys.

I see how it's a good promo for Block Parties/Mega Events, more people will travel very far and wide for more smileys (as seen by people who plan out-of-state or out-of-country holidays around the ET highway power trail). I hope it doesn't trickle down to regular events. If they do, I can see people hosting "events" just to offer lots of Smiley (Lab) caches.

I think that socialization and Event caches are a very important part of Geocaching and are essential in building a strong Geocaching community. I don't like the idea that we have to create what I see as a gimmick to entice people to participate.

can see the push to plant hundreds of Lab caches at an event, so people can rack up lots and lots of smileys.

If the future of lab caches is anything like what they were, then this would be impossible (without cheating)

Those lab caches took us all day. We got 12 and were exhausted (we did the HQ geotour as well)

IIRC, GS has stated that they will be in control of production.

There's nothing we can do about people cheating. Any and every cache can be cheated. But for the most part, for the majority of us who actually completed the labs....it was a blast. And I can't wait for more.