Release Notes - August 21, 2013

• New, Fresh Look for the Geocache Details Page
    • The geocache details page offers an enhanced user experience with a clear "Log your visit" button, minimized visual clutter, color swap for a more geocaching-appropriate color scheme, and a new easy-to-see and easy-to-use upper right-hand navigation box.

[*]What is Geocaching?

• After 3.3 million views, the Geocaching HQ "What is Geocaching?" video receives a new look and feel. Watch and share the new "What is Geocaching" video. We swapped out the previous video throughout the site.

[*]Updates to the Travel and Tourism page[*]Updates for Rand McNally devices and field notes instructions[*]And, of course, plenty of bug fixes, including:

• Proper display of Lab Caches on profiles. For more information on Geocaching Labs, see this blog post.
    • Corrected coordinates are now shown as underlined again on the new geocache page design.
    • Caches with single-latter names no longer cause a redirect loop in the new design.
    • Non-reviewers no longer see "Unarchive" option in the new design.

The geocache details page offers an enhanced user experience with a clear "Log your visit" button, minimized visual clutter, color swap for a more geocaching-appropriate color scheme, and a new easy-to-see and easy-to-use upper right-hand navigation box.

I like the new design, but could you please consider minimizing the visual clutter a bit more by removing the huge "Geocache Description:" text?

It use a lot of space and makes caches/event with their own title (like this one: http://coord.info/GC47HXZ) look bad.

Labs Caches will not affect statistics, souvenirs, or Favorite Points.

But they do increase our find count..?

Do they count towards milestones?

It just looks strange when the find count is higher than what's included in the statistics...

Is it possible to get the find count decreased again, to not include the lab caches?

But they do increase our find count..?

Do they count towards milestones?

It just looks strange when the find count is higher than what's included in the statistics...

Is it possible to get the find count decreased again, to not include the lab caches?

They increase your find count, but do not count toward milestones, which are considered part of the statistics.

Labs are just that - experiments being run by Geocaching.com. Think of them as beta ideas rather than full-fledged caches.

They increase your find count, but do not count toward milestones, which are considered part of the statistics.

Labs are just that - experiments being run by Geocaching.com. Think of them as beta ideas rather than full-fledged caches.

Which means that my milestones don't match my find count, which is just wrong.

I do appreciate the Lab Caches, and I had real fun finding them, but I don't want them to mess up my statistics.

Are there any way you could remove them from my find count, but still keep them in the list of found cache types?

Just like the Benchmarks work? That would be so much better! :)

It's great that you experiment and beta test, and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it. But I don't want my statistics messed up.

It might not always be about the numbers, but I do enjoy my statistics :P

You can manually change the cache that is listed as your milestone and lock it in place.

Yes, but the rest is still wrong...

Are there any way you could remove them from my find count' date=' but still keep them in the list of found cache types?

Just like the Benchmarks work? That would be so much better![/quote']

I doubt that the Lab Caches will be removed from your find count, as features that don't add to it tend to be ignored by the community. However, the design and development teams are definitely watching how the community responds to Lab Caches and will be sure to incorporate feedback from all sources.

I doubt that the Lab Caches will be removed from your find count, as features that don't add to it tend to be ignored by the community.

I guess it really is about the numbers... But even without the numbers, the Explore the Block caches was awesome!

However, the design and development teams are definitely watching how the community responds to Lab Caches and will be sure to incorporate feedback from all sources.

I guess the best I can do then is to tell what I would like to see them incorporate, which I'll do in a separate thread.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me :)

Proper display of Lab Caches on profiles. For more information on Geocaching Labs, see this blog post
I can't see the Lab Caches in my Statistics, will it only show in the list of found cache types on my public profile?
Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a way to post a Note to a Lab Cache, rather than a Find? (If the Find isn't going to be a real find, then some people may prefer to post a Note instead.)

Is there a way to post a Note to a Lab Cache, rather than a Find? (If the Find isn't going to be a real find, then some people may prefer to post a Note instead.)

No; you either complete the Lab Cache, or you don't. They don't take the usual log types (nor do they currently accept comments in the log).

Which means that my milestones don't match my find count, which is just wrong.

I do appreciate the Lab Caches, and I had real fun finding them, but I don't want them to mess up my statistics.

<snip for clarity>

It's great that you experiment and beta test, and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it. But I don't want my statistics messed up.

It might not always be about the numbers, but I do enjoy my statistics :P

Totally agree. Love my stats, loved the lab caches....bummed they aren't in my stats correctly. Bleh!

I guess it really is about the numbers... But even without the numbers, the Explore the Block caches was awesome!

Totally awesome...

I'm trying to view the image gallery of a Cito. Each picture takes minutes to load :angry:

Also the avatars are again scrambled and it ain't weekend, yet!

I loved the gallery link being right up top!! Yippee! My photos are opening up just fine and I'm have no problems with anybody's avatar..

I like the new design, but could you please consider minimizing the visual clutter a bit more by removing the huge "Geocache Description:" text?

It use a lot of space and makes caches/event with their own title (like this one: http://coord.info/GC47HXZ) look bad.

Please remove it. Everybody knows that this is the geocache description, so it is not necessary. At this point IMHO it is bad design.

Thank you in advance.

I'm trying to view the image gallery of a Cito. Each picture takes minutes to load :angry:

Also the avatars are again scrambled and it ain't weekend, yet!

Indeed, the scrambled images are back again.

Very annoying to see my avatar popping up in someone else gallery...

22-08-2013%2019-53-58.jpg

I like the look of this. Was wondering something. What do you think about putting the Inventory in the upper RH box as well with the number of tags in it like you do for the watchlist. Kinda like "Inventory(10)". Then just click on that to see the list. I think it would make the page less cluttered.

Please remove it. Everybody knows that this is the geocache description, so it is not necessary. At this point IMHO it is bad design.

Thank you in advance.

It seems that they have managed to make all 196 of my cache pages look silly. Why stop here? Maybe they could make the totally unnecessary header blink, or perhaps scroll across the screen like a marquee. Even better, make each character a different color.

Constructive feedback (positive or negative) are welcome here in a Release Notes thread. Posts must meet our forum guidelines, including the fundamental concept of being respectful to Groundspeak and its employees. Pretend you were at Geocaching HQ having an in-person conversation with the lead Lackey for the new cache page design project. Would you say the things to their face that you see in the above two posts? If yes, you're bold and fresh, but you shouldn't post those things here. If no, then you shouldn't post them here either.

Constructive feedback (positive or negative) are welcome here in a Release Notes thread. Posts must meet our forum guidelines, including the fundamental concept of being respectful to Groundspeak and its employees. Pretend you were at Geocaching HQ having an in-person conversation with the lead Lackey for the new cache page design project. Would you say the things to their face that you see in the above two posts? If yes, you're bold and fresh, but you shouldn't post those things here. If no, then you shouldn't post them here either.

Actually, I've been posting on Internet forums since 1992 and I have always held everything that I post to that test. I apologize if I over sized the sarcasm, but my point is that over sized subheads, especially if there are other subheads that don't match, are a sure sign of bad web page design. A quick Google search on bad design will bring up everything that I listed, as well as the sub heads.

Yeah...(IMHO) I think the old look of Geocaching.com had a better "feel" to it. Like, it felt more like an outdoors adventure website (which it is!:D). I mean just look at the top of this forum. It has a bit more style than the new one. Not that the new design is bad, I just don't think it fits with geocaching.com as much as the old one. :unsure:

One thing I do not like about the new design for cache pages is that we used to be able to open a page and see instantly if we "favorite" a cache because it was in the menu on the right. Now, to see if you have already given a favorite point, you have to click on the favorite point link. It's a small thing, but it is just another click that is unnecessary. Can we change that back?

There seems to be a lack of positive feedback here. I think what you are doing is good. The site has a more modern look and I understand that with changes comes tweaks. I know the end goal is to create a smooth and welcoming interface for both old and new cachers alike. Keep up the good work and keep plugging ahead. I understand with change comes new bugs and I know you'll eventually work out the bugs. Hang tight and thanks for the work that you do to make this sport fun for us all. Happy Friday! Cache on!

It appears that the distance to a cache on the bookmark listings has broken in the last update for Chrome for Mac. It could always be just me, but I don't know why it would be. It works fine on Safari. I've attached a screen shot of the Chrome and a screen shot of Safari.

I do love the DNF indication in the upper right - that will be very helpful in the future and it makes me more likely to log a DNF so I can track everywhere I've been. Please keep that :)

Chrome

Screen-Shot-2013-08-24-at-9.58.28-AM.png

Safari

Screen-Shot-2013-08-24-at-9.58.44-AM.png

Thank you!

It appears that the distance to a cache on the bookmark listings has broken in the last update for Chrome for Mac. It could always be just me, but I don't know why it would be. It works fine on Safari. I've attached a screen shot of the Chrome and a screen shot of Safari.

I do love the DNF indication in the upper right - that will be very helpful in the future and it makes me more likely to log a DNF so I can track everywhere I've been. Please keep that :)

Chrome

Thank you!

Are you running any add-ons/extensions in Chrome that might be modifying the page? Sometimes after a site update, our add-ons will do strange, unexpected things.

Are you running any add-ons/extensions in Chrome that might be modifying the page? Sometimes after a site update, our add-ons will do strange, unexpected things.

Yes, and reading that it seemed like the possible answer. I went to start disabling them and it was just working today. I don't know if it was fixed or it was just something else acting up. Either way, thanks, I'll try disabling extensions if it happens again.

For those of us that weren't at the Blockl Party, could someone give a GC number of a lab cache so we can see what a lab cache looks like?

They don't have GC#'s. You needed to look at them at labs.geocaching.com, but now they are hidden. I don't think the people that found them can even look them up.

Someone with finders remorse might have a difficult time deleting their "code word" finds and getting their geocache find count back to where it should be.

After the new release when I click on "All Geocache Finds or Hides" from my profile it directs me to Hide and Seek A cache - Search for a geocache.

I am running IE 10 and have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Thanks!

After the new release when I click on "All Geocache Finds or Hides" from my profile it directs me to Hide and Seek A cache - Search for a geocache.

Thanks!

Yes, me, you can not list the caches you or anyone found when clicking in the caching list of the profile, like it used to work with: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=lieger :sad:

Thanks!

YES AND IT IS VERY ANNOYING!!!!!! Everything that I used to do makes me do it the hard way. I tried to look at a friends found caches and it took me to the hide n seek screen by username and I did everything it told me and it still would not give me the list of the caches.

All caching lists in all tested browsers has the same error:

(Profil) Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I wonder why Groundspeak is not able to test some simple functions. But actually it is the same in all previous releases, they have never tested their changes :mad:

Sorry to say that but it is fact.

Edited by dbox