THE TRUSTY AMMO CAN...

Team Smoke

Today I went out to my cache that I had archived to retrieve the ammo can. To my dismay, I discovered that a huge tree had fallen over and totally concealed the cache area under a massive pile of branches. So, being the dedicated geocacher that I am, I jumped into that mess with both feet and started searching.

I had originally hidden the cache box under a log. When the adjacent tree came crashing down, it landed square across the log that my cache was under. Consequently, the ammo box was smashed down into the ground.

The catch to this story is this. The ammo box wasn't damaged at all! 6 tons of tree fell down on this cache and no damage!!! I think that my only saving grace was that the ground just happened to be saturated with water. So I guess the ground was soft enough for the can to be pressed down into it.

If the cache container was anything other than an ammo can, my cache would probably be flattened to about an inch thick. My contents would have probably been a total loss...and I had some pretty cool stuff in there too.

So I found a good stick and proceeded to dig out my ammo can. Once I had the can free, I took it down to the nearby lake's edge and washed off all the dirt and twigs and stuff. Then I opened it up to inspect the contents. As expected, nice and dry.....and intact!!!

From this experience, I'm fairly certain that the good 'ol trusty Olive Drab Green Ammo Can is the best cache container out there.

Keep your powder dry...

Team Smoke

Great story, ammo cans rule! I will not use anything else unless I need to for size or to meet with landowners desires. I Have used them for years for other items, and they hold up better than anything else.

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately, it kills all its students!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Smoke:

As far as ammo can size goes, I saw a 60mm mortar can being used for a cache. The can it self was around 2'x18"x8".

2 inches is 50.8mm. There is no way a 60mm mortar round would fit in there. Well, there is, but I wouldn't want to be there when it was attempted! The can would need to be 2.363 inches minimum for the round to fit. Perhaps it was 2.5 inches you meant?

I am still grinning, just thinking of some poor fool trying to fit a 60mm mortar round in a 50mm box.

icon_biggrin.gif

Ammo cans are great. I am assembling my fourth cache, and to date I have not considered anything else!

Have a great day.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Smoke:

As far as ammo can size goes, I saw a 60mm mortar can being used for a cache. The can it self was around 2'x18"x8".

2 inches is 50.8mm. There is no way a 60mm mortar round would fit in there

2' is 2 FEET.

I guess when you get old, those single and double tick marks just sort of blur, eh? '"'"'" icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

ApK

This ammo can is my absolute favorite. It's huge inside and light enough not to break your back toting it to the cache location. The diamond shape indent (Explosive :) is perfect for the geocache logo after you cut it out of the sticker sold on this site. I put the rest of the decal in the larger indented area. I also saftey-wire one end closed (it opens at both ends). There are raised areas on the inside lid that I screw down a laminated copy of the "You've found it" page.

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

https://secure.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=25MM%20Ammo%20Can%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 is my absolute favorite. It's huge inside and light enough not to break your back toting it to the cache location. The diamond shape indent (Explosive :) is perfect for the geocache logo after you cut it out of the sticker sold on this site. I put the rest of the decal in the larger indented area.

I agree completely...those cans rock. I had the same thought about the indented are, but I decided to paint the logo on instead.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

Greetings!

Its been awhile since I read this thread and its nice to see that the post 9/11 paranoia about ammo cans has died down. icon_smile.gif

The US Military Ammo Can is one of the best surplus buys out there. For whatever reason,( ammo can factory in an influential Senator's home district? ) most ammo cans are used once and then sold as surplus. This means that many are like new when purchased.

God Bless The Ammo Can - Tupperware is for the kitchen!

icon_wink.gif

Sincerely,

PULASKI

quote:
I decided to paint the logo on instead.

What kind of a cache container is that? Nice paint job...

The more creative the cache is, the more enjoyable the hunt/find tends to be. Sometimes a cacher will put together a history lesson involved with a multi-cache. It's interesting to know what went on or happened in the area you're walking around.

Team Smoke

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

2' is 2 FEET. I guess when you get old, those single and double tick marks just sort of blur, eh? '"'"'" icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

ApK

Gotta admit I made an @$$ outta myself on that one. Actually, I have no trouble with it at home. At work they are too cheap to get us a good monitor!

Whew... talked my way out of that one.... icon_biggrin.gif

Y-all have a great day.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

See the photo in this cache, the micro cache container was inside the lid of this larger container. If you look carefully you'll see the spring that holds the log book. You get a two-for-one!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

another one all prettied up and ready to go.

My favorite by far. Did you hand paint the logo? If so, was the paint licenced?

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Great ammo can! I think after seeing what you all are coming up with on these cache containers, I might have to get a little bit more creative.

Speaking of creativity, I'm working on a cache right now that will test your map reading skills. It's a multi that will only supply a bearing to the main cache...no coords. In the last point of the multi before the main cache, I am going to supply some maps and tools for the final leg of the find. It should prove to be an entertaining hunt.

Team Smoke

Keep your powder dry...

Cool idea, I want to do that as well. Just make sure you specify mag variation or no mag variation.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Cool idea, I want to do that as well. Just make sure you specify mag variation or no mag variation.

Definitely. I'm going to put a little blurb at the bottom of the printed map with all the info someone might need. Also, on the cache description page I'm going to mention that a little map reading know-how will be required. And just to make sure that I haven't screwed up any of the plots, I'm going to have one of my non-caching friends run through it to verify the accuracy. This should be interesting.

Team Smoke

Keep your powder dry...

On a hunt for a benchmark I found the #2 reference mark and then the station mark. To find ref mark #1 I had to determine the position of a flagpole that no longer existed. All three markers were originally paced off from the flagpole. I took back bearings from ref #2 and did the same for the station mark and determined the position for the old flagpole. From there I was able to pace off and locate ref #1.

I don't really want to plant any more "box-under-the-bush" caches. I want to add some adventure to them somehow. I think compass headings are a cool way to do that. That was the intent of this cache, but the first finder interpreted a turn left 090 degree heading as meaning he should make a 90 degree turn to the left, resulting in a "not found". He later edited the log. This cache and this cache both use offset coordinates, you get the cache coordinates by hunting around at the trailhead.

Anybody else have ideas on how to keep it interesting?

**Huddie Ledbetter**