Geocaching Blindness

Calypso62

I'm looking for an article I thought I read on these forums about "geocaching blindness". When you are out geocaching, this is where you get a mind set of what you think the cache you are looking for is and your mind simply does not see any other possibilities. The article I saw also showed a video of a group of people playing basketball and a gorilla walks across the screen. I can't even remember what the phenomenon is actually called. I've searched the forums but can't seem to locate what I'm looking for. (Perhaps I'm suffering from this blindness!!) I may have read it in the Geocaching Blog but can't locate it there either.

If anybody knows what I'm talking about here and can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it.

I'm looking for an article I thought I read on these forums about "geocaching blindness". When you are out geocaching, this is where you get a mind set of what you think the cache you are looking for is and your mind simply does not see any other possibilities. The article I saw also showed a video of a group of people playing basketball and a gorilla walks across the screen. I can't even remember what the phenomenon is actually called. I've searched the forums but can't seem to locate what I'm looking for. (Perhaps I'm suffering from this blindness!!) I may have read it in the Geocaching Blog but can't locate it there either.

If anybody knows what I'm talking about here and can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it.

Selective attention test video on youtube. Sorry, don't know how to find the article.

This happened to me today. I had intepreted the hint a bit wrong and other mistakes added... A very sensitive area, I was worried that I'd destroy something if I guess wrong and I did it twice. I found it when I decided to 'look into that obvious hole I missed before because some muggles were sitting nearby and though it only fits half of the hint'. It was there.

MKFmly's reference to Podcacher got me thinking it might have been there that I saw the reference to "Inattentional Blindness". I did a search and found the references in Show 409.0. Have a listen, it's very interesting, and we've all been there! It starts 4 minutes, 50 seconds into the show.

http://www.podcacher.com/2013/02/show-409-0-dave-ulmer-reminisces/

Here are the links to the other websites that contains information about the phenomenon. Very interesting!!!!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/02/11/171409656/why-even-radiologists-can-miss-a-gorilla-hiding-in-plain-sight

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/videos.html

I've done that 3 times in the last two weeks... always EASY find on the 2nd try or third sometimes.

It affects everyone to some degree and for various situations. My last one, I went back to find a flashlight I dropped after checking out some dark holes... focused on finding the flashlight and saw the 'missing' cache from 15 feet away while looking, right in a spot I had checked out using that flashlight and never saw it. Never did find the flashlight, but next time I'm going to look for a hammer or something.

Doug 7rxc

Some of the hardest caches I've found have been simple hides, hidden near "obvious" locations, but not actually hidden in/on those "obvious" locations. The sooner you stop searching the bench, or the guardrail, or the hollow stump, the sooner you'll find the fake rock a few feet away.