Additional info on the little window that pops up when you click on a cache on the map

Fombellchicks

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the Date Last Found to that little 2"x4" window. I think if would be a valuable piece of info to have on that first little summary window, expecially to newcomers. I always look at that date to see if I want to go and try to find a particular cache. If a cache has not been found in months, I might skip it and go for one that has been found recently. This is also practical when caching with the kids. I know there is a list view somewhere that has that info, but I mostly use the map and in order to get to that piece of info, I need to click on the cache logo and then on the cache name. Seems like there would be enough space left on the 2x4" window to add this info.

Not sure if anybody else would also appreciate this....????

All the info is available by clicking on the cache and bringing up the cache page. If they added stuff like this every time someone wants it, pretty soon we would just have cache info, and no map visible.

Anyway the last found is no indicator of anything other than when the cache has last been logged as found. I have a cache that gets found once a year, and it's like new condition. I also have a cache that gets found regularly that need replacing.

PS. If no-one looks for caches that haven't been found in a couple months, then it goes longer without being found, and less people look for it. Therefore by not even attempting it you are also stopping others from attempting to find it. Pretty soon it goes a year or more without a find, all because all the local cachers found it, and all the non local cachers drive right by to the newer cache, which will end up in the same situation.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I understand that this info is available when I click on the cache name, but it would be nice to save the step of opening another window just to get to this piece of info. When caching with kids (especially when you are just starting with geocaching, this is something I look for EVERY time. It is more important to me than the Date Hidden. It does not mean that I will never try find it, I actually just went for one last week (without the kids that had not been found in a few months and I managed to find it. I also tried to find one today that has not been found in months and could not find it, but logged it as a DNF. I think sooner or later everybody will attempt to find every single cache in the local area, no matter if it has been found in a while or not. I would assume that the owner of a cache that has not been found in months/years would check on it to make sure it is still in its place etc. It also does not matter to me if the cache is in good/bad shape when deciding which ones I want to try on a particular day. Hope this clarification helps :)

PS. If no-one looks for caches that haven't been found in a couple months, then it goes longer without being found, and less people look for it. Therefore by not even attempting it you are also stopping others from attempting to find it. Pretty soon it goes a year or more without a find, all because all the local cachers found it, and all the non local cachers drive right by to the newer cache, which will end up in the same situation.

Okay - I realize we're all different,with different goals. Me - I'm a single mom of two elementary school kids, one of whom is not particulary keen on caching unless it's Harry Potter-related. If I'm looking for a quick grab on a particular day, I want something that's been found recently. If it's been a couple of months since it's been found, then I have to go read the logs... and if the last several logs are DNFs, then I'm not even gonna attempt to drag the kiddos out in search. On the other hand, if it's been a couple of months, but the last several logs were still "Found Its!" then count us in for the hunt.

There's ample space on the pop-up for "Last Found", and it's right at the top when you go to an actual cache page. That piece of info, along with cache size and difficulty/terrain are the first things I look for. It would definitely be a time-saver to have the "Last Found" visible on the pop-up as I drive around with my handy smartphone app running.

Note that I've been a member here since 2005, but have a low geocache found count. We were letterboxers cuz the kids were way more into rubber stamps for the longest time. Now we're doing the GPS thang. Muzzys, too (which bore moi-même to tears, but one kiddo dearly loves 'em). I'm sure for those folks who are far more dedicated to the nuances of this hobby than we are that indeed, this single piece of info isn't of major importance - but for our busy schedule, what with trying to keep the kids interested, and have fun and togetherness whilst avoiding poison ivy, lyme disease, and West Nile infected mossies - how hard would it be to add this info to the pop-up?

PEACE. :)

Edited by akindofmagick

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the Date Last Found to that little 2"x4" window. I think if would be a valuable piece of info to have on that first little summary window, expecially to newcomers. I always look at that date to see if I want to go and try to find a particular cache. If a cache has not been found in months, I might skip it and go for one that has been found recently. This is also practical when caching with the kids. I know there is a list view somewhere that has that info, but I mostly use the map and in order to get to that piece of info, I need to click on the cache logo and then on the cache name. Seems like there would be enough space left on the 2x4" window to add this info.

Not sure if anybody else would also appreciate this....????

I definitely would like this!

There is a problem with what appears to be a simple little feature: load on the system. The information you see when cursor over the map is basically static information, where as the last find date is constantly changing. This means that every time someone clicks on a cache the system needs to do a database query. That could chew up system resources in a hurry. And remember it wasn't that long ago that they had to dumb down the search function to protect the system from self destructing.

There is a problem with what appears to be a simple little feature: load on the system. The information you see when cursor over the map is basically static information, where as the last find date is constantly changing. This means that every time someone clicks on a cache the system needs to do a database query. That could chew up system resources in a hurry. And remember it wasn't that long ago that they had to dumb down the search function to protect the system from self destructing.

But doesn't it already have to do that for the 'Favorite Points' stat? In fact, several of the things on the window could change at any time if the CO makes an update to the cache (size, D/T ratings, etc.)...therefore, isn't it querying every time someone clicks anyway? Sure seems like it given how slow it loads most of the time.

Why not something like:

Last Log: FOUND-8/13/13

or

Last Log: Needs Mantinence-8/20/13

Something like that, saying what the last log was and when it was.

This would be much more beneficial. If a new cacher were to start looking at caches in my area, they would see hundreds of perfectly viable caches that may not have been found for a month or two for the simple fact that everyone in the area has already found them.