Finally Premium

u1bd2005

Well, payday was this morning, so I finally became premium member, going to hold off an getting a handheld GPS for now as I was planning on the eTrex 10 but everyone's recommending to save a little extra for the eTrex 20, so going to do that. Smartphone should do for a while longer.

Well, was out in town today, didn't get any caching done as I had hoped, but did pick up some cool cheap swag for my next cache, already have the container all ready, full, logbook and swag inside and ready to hide. It's going to be a little bigger than my previous ones, still not gigantic, but a decent size for the kids, and hopefully a little more of a challenge for the adults.

Already have a rough idea of where I will be setting this one up, and hoping it proves a really fun cache for everyone.

So tomorrow I'm heading out on a 15 mile walk with my backpack, snacks, cache and smartphone in hand and setting this one up. :)

Contents: 4 Disney Sticker Sheets (Mickey, Minnie, Cars, Disney Princess.), Keyrings (Pudsey, Dolphin, Elephant & Scorpion.), 4 x Spinning Tops, 2 x Bouncy Balls, 2 x mazes, Selection of Erasers (Butterfly, Flower, Racing Car, Cow Horse Giraffe (3 Pack).), Logbook + Pencils.

P1010409.jpg

What do you guys think about the swag, I've tried to keep it as a good mix for boys & girls, and also are there any recommendations you could give on placing a cache this size, I'm undecided as to whether to keep it free like my others or make it premium, I don't want it muggled, but none of my others have been and I'd rather not limit people who want to find it.

A 15 mile walk to place a cache? Don't you think the little ones would have a tough time doing that? How many cachers would walk 15 miles for a cache? You didn't mention anything about GZ being particularly noteworthy.

The 15 mile walk is just in general from my house, not what everyone will need to do to find the cache. it's just a walk I do from time to time, the cache place is a really nice place I discovered due to a nearby cache leading me there previously, it's a decent distance from the cache I found but in a place I would otherwise not have discovered. it's only a short distance, maybe 10/15 minutes from parking and 30 minutes from town centre. so a mile walk or so for most cachers if that. And it's a really nice area, with a few other caches nearby.

Just the fact that your giving back to the game by putting a cache out is cool with me.If it's a bad placement or cache...nature will take it's course. The swag looks ok. Are you going to 'camo' the container?? "hot glueing' bark and other natural material to it would help if your putting out in the woods Your reply to the first post tells me that this sounds good to go. Good luck with your first placement.

I already have a few caches out at the moment, so I definitely think putting the containers out is just as much (if not more) fun than finding them for me, The best part to me is seeing the swag people leave in the caches as well as the trackables/coins and also the cool stamps and stickers that some people use to sign the logs.

I do enjoy finding them too though.

And camo-wise, I'm not sure yet, I wasn't going to camouflage it, I've used a sharpie to add a little camo to the lid, but I've seen a few that don't use camo, and they've been pretty good caches still, so all depends on whether I find a good hiding place or not and whether I feel it needs camouflage once I have the hiding spot scouted.

*SNIP

What do you guys think about the swag, I've tried to keep it as a good mix for boys & girls, and also are there any recommendations you could give on placing a cache this size, I'm undecided as to whether to keep it free like my others or make it premium, I don't want it muggled, but none of my others have been and I'd rather not limit people who want to find it.

First off is my opinion that there are no boys or girls toys. They can play with whatever they like. Gender stereotypes and all that....But that's got nothing to do with your questions.

For one thing you said it's a 15 mile walk. I don't think many kids will complete that, and the ones that do could care less about what's in the cache. I also think the cache won't go empty as fast-less finders and more people trading.

The second thing is about it being muggled. If it is that far, making it PMO won't help it. If it is truly muggled, then it wasn't a cacher. If it's stolen by a cacher intentionally then PMO or not they will find it, and unless there is a 15 mile trail of caches I don't think they would go that far just to steal one cache.

As for camo...Well I actually enjoy camo painting caches, and I would do it just for fun. I would think to camo it because-again being out that far-non camo would look out of place and be more likely to be though of as trash, or at the very least accidentally found.

Edited by T.D.M.22

A 15 mile walk to place a cache? Don't you think the little ones would have a tough time doing that? How many cachers would walk 15 miles for a cache? You didn't mention anything about GZ being particularly noteworthy.

The 15 mile walk is just in general from my house, not what everyone will need to do to find the cache. it's just a walk I do from time to time, the cache place is a really nice place I discovered due to a nearby cache leading me there previously, it's a decent distance from the cache I found but in a place I would otherwise not have discovered. it's only a short distance, maybe 10/15 minutes from parking and 30 minutes from town centre. so a mile walk or so for most cachers if that. And it's a really nice area, with a few other caches nearby.

Sounds like an awesome place for a cache. I like caches that bring me to places that are pleasant or interesting to visit regardless if the cache was there. Be prepared for a bunch of favorite points. Just one point, your choice of container on the surface seems questionable. For best results you want something with a gasket and locking lid (e.g. Lock n Locks) or a waterproof screw on lid (Nalgene straight jars, water bottles or even peanut butter jars). See this article I wrote a few months ago.

Just one point, your choice of container on the surface seems questionable. For best results you want something with a gasket and locking lid (e.g. Lock n Locks) or a waterproof screw on lid (Nalgene straight jars, water bottles or even peanut butter jars). See this article I wrote a few months ago.

The container is the first thing I noticed. I've found cache containers like it and they are not water tight. You'll want to protect all that fun kid's swag. I would recommend that you not use a dollar store container (I've yet to see one stand the test of time and outdoor conditions). Buy an authentic Lock & Lock (with the Lock & Lock logo on the lid) or an ammo can or the other containers briansnat recommends.

kudos for your newest cache-to-be...

a suggestion perhaps for a hiking hide - while still using the smartphone for coordinates, please do try and get three

different readings around the hide site for reference...also, you may want to try loading them into google or bing maps

first, to see where they show up on the map actually is as close as you think they should be where you placed it...that will

help get those coords closer to the actual GZ - ground zero - since you're using the phone, and please the ftf'ers who will be racing to find it... :smile:

kudos for your newest cache-to-be...

a suggestion perhaps for a hiking hide - while still using the smartphone for coordinates, please do try and get three

different readings around the hide site for reference...also, you may want to try loading them into google or bing maps

first, to see where they show up on the map actually is as close as you think they should be where you placed it...that will

help get those coords closer to the actual GZ - ground zero - since you're using the phone, and please the ftf'ers who will be racing to find it... :smile:

Online maps should only be used as another way to take a look at your cords after you place the cache and get good readings. They're not reliable at all, and shouldn't be used to verify anything. I'm also concerned about your container (although if its similar to what you're already using and you're maintaining well, go for it). Let me be the first to bring up the cell phone cords as well. Just be careful, I know there are a grip of folks who swear there's nothing wrong with using a smart phone to obtain cords for a hide, but in my experience they're always bad. Again, if you can get them on point, go for it.

Your swag looks good. I'd cammo the container.