Night Time Geocaching

I have done a few caches at night mostly because I didn't have enough daylight. For a added bonus I suggest adding beer to the equation! I find that really helps with my night time geocaching experiance.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

There are atleast 2 caches in NC that are specifically designed for night-time caching. They are in parks that don't close until 11pm due to ball field use. The cache owner rldill has done an awesome job setting these up. I've done Lost in the Dark and am looking forward to NightLife.

If it weren't for geology, you'd have nothing to stand on.

Night caching makes some caches easier. Urban caches draw too much attention to you as a geocacher for being out lurking.

Other caches you really miss the views and scenery that they are there for.

One I did was HARD at night and during the day you would spot it from 300' away if not farther.

Go figure.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I don't know if it will be as much fun as it's inaugural night, with quite a get together at the Oly Club before, but when in Centralia, WA try this one (just note the park hours)....Seminary Hill Night Cache We had a blast with this one, and the all the cachers who were there!

f~g

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

Night caching rocks! Although I appreciate the comment about missing some scenery. I sometimes go back to some areas in the day to see what it's supposed to look like. Always amazed at how completely different an area is in the light. If you dress right, you are also less conspicuous at night to the casual observer.

661240_300.jpg

I have one Night cache called Gnome's Night Raid , in the spirit of the first one I ever saw here, After dark. I used these cool things called Fire Tacks.

64173_900.jpg

Tried my first night cache last night and had a good time. Today I logged a not found. I plan on returning and doing it again at night, but I think that I'll go with a friend next time. As I was searching I realized that if I twisted an ankle or somesuch thing it would be a hard solo hike out of there. Safety first.

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Man, if I saw someone running around at night dressed like that, it's a sure bet he's gonna get shot... icon_eek.gif

The cape's bulletproof<grin> (and most people run the other way).

It's not nearly as weird in the daylight, and thankfully geocachers in these here parts aren't 'packin'!

Zartimus, I mean Batman, those firetacks you posted are pretty neat and I looked up the page for them and they are reasonably priced and seem good for night caching esp with "stealth" color. Weird part though you showed them photo of two in the dark. Two things come to mind...

1.) UFO Hoax!

2.) If in the woods not caching, WHAT THE H___?!?

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

quote:
Originally posted by Amazingracer:

Zartimus, I mean Batman, those firetacks you posted are pretty <snip> Two things come to mind...

1.) UFO Hoax!

2.) If in the woods not caching, WHAT THE H___?!?

One funny thing about them is that they don't show up well when you are right on top of them (5 feet). they show up great far away though..

People seem to be enjoying the cache they are used in, but the bi-directional thing is not perfected. I tried to place them so that they are visible from both directions, but it seemed I failed in more than a few spots<grin>. Follow the tacks in, follow your GPS out...

There IS a UFO in the general vicinity..

Flying Saucer Down!. It's my own cache and when I went in with some fellow cachers to watch them find it in the dark we ran across these luminous handprints on trees. Very weird..

698910_200.JPG

I've done at least a half dozen night cache runs, as well as researched potential cache hiding places at night.

IT ROCKS ! Full moon nights are really fun, as well as when there is snow on the ground. I have an LED headlamp, and a good D cell flashlight I bring along, but with either the moonlight or snow, you don't need them much till actually looking for the cache. The headlight works well for checking the gps, and for logging in.

I do some solo, but a buddy system for safety in hazardous or unfamiliar area, along with a cell phone in case is wise.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Has anyone who's placed a night cache found a source of reflective ink/paint? I thought it'd be cool to put something that will show up in the dark on the actual cache itself... and I suppose tape would work, but I find the idea of paint appealing. Searching online, though, I find out that it's only sold in enormous barrels to the people who paint highway markers. (Glow ink is readily available, but it would sort of defeat the purpose if one visitor's flashlight left the cache glowingly visible to all who might pass by.)

I'm intrigued by the reflective idea but paint is very visible and permanent. Some office supply companies carry a clear transparent "ink" that is visible only under black light, similar to what Chuck E Cheese uses to mark kids and parents. Portable black lights are available from $20 on up to several hundred dollars on the web. Marking a trail with a squirt bottle or squirt gun containing the stuff might make for an interesting twist to after-dark caching, and its invisible to anyone but those with the right equipment.

Here's an idea.

From my Coast Guard deckie days.

We used to take bead blasting beads, which was actually finely ground glass, and sprinkle it on freshly painted yellow marking paint, and ouila, instant reflective surface. Worked pretty well. Same principal, maybe using clear lacquer or a glue. I've been toying with this idea, since seeing the picture in this thread of the handprint on the tree.

I'm putting up my first night cache as well.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Top Secret:

I'm intrigued by the reflective idea but paint is very visible and permanent

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting putting paint on trees or rocks or other objects native to the area -- I was just interested in adding reflectivity to the cache container itself. I've got another idea for the path leading cachers to the spot icon_smile.gif.

After reading up on reflective paint, yep, it contains little glass micro-beads... but where would one get beads of the proper (almost invisible) size? I finally found a can of reflective spraypaint for $30, a bit more than I'd want. I think I'm going to go the reflective tape route. Supposedly, black reflective tape can be found, which would be hard to see in daylight, but show up at night with a flashlight.

Micro beads, or sometimes called micro-balloons are commonly used to thicken two-part epoxy, the kind used to construct wooden boats, etc. It's usually sold in small containers, and resembles a very fine white dust/powder. So fine that it can be accidentally inhaled, which, I'm told, is not healthy! I've used it kayak building, and repairing my dory, whenever thickened epoxy is required. Hardware, or more specifically paint stores, maybe those catering to the marine industry (if that's common in your area)would have it.

You would spray your cache container with the chosen color paint, and while it's still wet, sprinkle the micro-balloons on the wet paint, allow it to dry. Then brush off the excess after it dries, then test with a flashlight after dark.

There is also a sand blasting substance, that is fine powdered glass, works well, same process. icon_smile.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Update on the micro-ballons:

I tried it last night, and it didn't work. No reflective capabilities whatsoever. Process was as I described, so I believe the glass bead blasting media would still work.

I'll get soime and try as well. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MacDaddy:

Update on the micro-ballons:

I tried it last night, and it didn't work. No reflective capabilities whatsoever. Process was as I described, so I believe the glass bead blasting media would still work.

I'll get soime and try as well. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to the results of the next experiment icon_smile.gif. However, I thought I read online about someone attempting to use a material like you describe, and the verdict was that the particles weren't regular enough in shape, and so they reflected in all directions but weren't very bright head-on. Still, if you find anything that works, I'd love to hear about it.