Stumbled upon it

Today I went geocaching with some out-of-town family members when, by a weird set of circumstances I will leave out of this story, we stumbled upon a cache which is not listed (I do have a premium account and it's none of those).

The funny thing is that it had a log that was used a few times, so how are others finding it?

I looked up one member from the log and got a list of all caches he found on the date listed in the log, and none of the caches listed are close to the spot we found the cache at. My first guess was that it was plundered, but there was some effort to conceal it the geocaching way. Not something a muggle would do, I don't think

In the end I placed it back and took a note of the coordinates. But now I'm wondering what to do about it.

I have a photo of a log with a GPS coordinates, and I can't match it to any published cache. Is there something I should do about it?

-The Comrade

P.S. The cache had an official geocaching logo on it, so I'm pretty sure it's not an opencaching cache either

Today I went geocaching with some out-of-town family members when, by a weird set of circumstances I will leave out of this story, we stumbled upon a cache which is not listed (I do have a premium account and it's none of those).

The funny thing is that it had a log that was used a few times, so how are others finding it?

I looked up one member from the log and got a list of all caches he found on the date listed in the log, and none of the caches listed are close to the spot we found the cache at. My first guess was that it was plundered, but there was some effort to conceal it the geocaching way. Not something a muggle would do, I don't think

In the end I placed it back and took a note of the coordinates. But now I'm wondering what to do about it.

I have a photo of a log with a GPS coordinates, and I can't match it to any published cache. Is there something I should do about it?

-The Comrade

P.S. The cache had an official geocaching logo on it, so I'm pretty sure it's not an opencaching cache either

Are you sure it's not a puzzle cache or the final stage of a multi? Those can be miles (up to 2 for a puzzle, pretty much unlimited for a multi) away from the listed coordates. If you tell us the area you found it in (or the coordinates), we can hopefully help you figure it out!

The "official" logo tells not much about the database it is listed. It could be listed on more than one site or the owner simply took an available logo sticker for it.

I would suggest checking other caching sites for those coordinates (there is more than 1 alternative to GC.com).

However, it could still be a multi stage or something similar. Even on an alternative site this could be true, making research difficult. Maybe you simply contact the last finder and ask...

-The Comrade

Like it was said, it could be the final to an unkknown or a multi. It could also be listed on another website. Or it could have been archived and not removed.

-The Comrade

Send the coordinates to your local reviewer and ask them what it is. As others have said it's probably the final to a multi or puzzle and you just happened to short-circuit the normal process of finding it.

Completely forgot it could have been a multi. Never occurred to me, go fig.

Redwoodkestrel, thanks for the offer, here is the image of the log with the GPS coord's in viw: http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8144/h8lg.png

Tater, the signatures are recent, but few far and apart, which makes me think the other posters are right - it was probably a multi final or a puzzle.

What is puzzling though is that the "mr-fix it" who signed on April 7th only has a few finds that day, and none of them are it. I couldn't find other users on geocaching.com

Using my reviewer account, I can tell you that you found an unpublished listing.

I know this may be off topic, but since you mentioned it - looking at this cache there isn't anything that I can see that would make it non-publishable, at least not according to the rules. The distance from other caches is good too, so I'm curious what the reasons may have been to get the cache held up.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to avoid any pitfalls creating my own (I got a few caches in production as I write this)

Using my reviewer account, I can tell you that you found an unpublished listing.

I know this may be off topic, but since you mentioned it - looking at this cache there isn't anything that I can see that would make it non-publishable, at least not according to the rules. The distance from other caches is good too, so I'm curious what the reasons may have been to get the cache held up.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to avoid any pitfalls creating my own (I got a few caches in production as I write this)

He didn't say the cache was unpublishable, he said it was unpublished. The owner may not have submitted it yet for a variety of reasons - maybe he's still working on it, maybe he's on vacation, maybe (like me) he's just too busy or lazy or forgetful or... you get the idea.

Very funny when that happens... a year ago I was well, I'd rather not say what I was doing, but I too stumbled upon a unpublished cache. It was an ammo can w/ swag and stamps and an empty log! So anyway, I signed it and forgot it. One day, a couple months later I looked it up again and no kidding it was published and I was listed as the FTF!!! How cool. :)

Turns out it was my first ever, first to find. Even tho it was an accident. The CO could have just deleted my signature or ignored me in the cache log but it was very nice of them to give me the find for it.

It was too close to a puzzle final, and there are/were permission issues in that park - at the time. I don't know now, but at the time the cache was submitted, there was moratorium on new caches by park management.

The cache owner may well have gone to remove it, and couldn't find it. Where you found it, from the coords on your gps, is a distance from where it was submitted. I'd guess the FTF (Jane & Ben) were not cachers, and moved it some.