Oregon 450

Grinzler

Hey Everyone

I'm new to this forum and want to get your opinion on a few things. I have been using my iPhone of a while but the GPS on it tends to jump all over. So I picked up an Oregon 450 the other day. Ya or nah on the Oregon? And also what settings did you change on the Oregon to make it easier for caching? I put a few pocket queries on it. It to seems to jump a little not as bad as the iPhone though. Also if the Oregon is not a good chose then what's a good one? Any input is appreciated thanks.

The 450 is great! It was my first GPSr, and I amazed co-cachers by having all the cache info on hand :anicute:.

As to customizing, I selected the dashboard items I prefer (Destination, Distance To Next, Time To Next, Location) for the compass screen. Press and hold a dashboard item to change it. The dashboard shows four items while using the compass, and can also be customized for other screens.

I moved the menu icons I used most, to the first two screens in the Geocaching and Automotive profiles. Profile change is now on the first screen of both, so I can switch everything at once conveniently, to be ideal for driving or walking.

You chose wisely, it's one of the best hand held units ever made for geocaching. I don't think I have changed any settings, or if I did it was so long ago that I have forgotten. The only negative is that it can be a bit difficult to see the screen in low light without the back light on. Since I use eneloop rechargeable batteries I don't worry about running the light as much as I need to, and still get 6 hours per set if I leave the light on all day.

Here's a wiki for that model. Lots of good info in there for you.

Just guessing... but you mention both units "jumping around a bit". I think that you are simply not familiar with using GPSr devices. Any unit is going to "jump around" when you close in on the coordinates.

When you see that happening, are you close to the cache (coordinates)? If so, it is time to put the unit away. It has done all that it is capable of doing. Now, instead of looking at the unit "jumping" use your eyes to find the cache, instead.

Keep in mind that consumer-grade products simply are not designed to guide a bomb to a 3-foot circle. If you want one capable of that accuracy, you just might need a bigger bank account.

Reporting your finds -- you upload field notes here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx . You can find the same link on your (Private) Profile Page near the bottom right. Follow the Make-specific instructions within the link. It's easy.

Also is there a way to report the found items from the GPS?

Yes, as Gitchee-Gummee said, you can use Field Notes. As I find each cache, I tap "Log Attempt" and the log type ("Found"), type a comment (I fat-finger a very shorthand version of "Left Moose TB, Took Florida coin, fell in the creek, saw 5 deer" or whatever), then send the fieldnotes file to the web site and compose my "real" log based on the shorthand. The caches are all in sequence of finds, with the notes. It's pretty cool.

Edited by kunarion

For me, the Oregon is the perfect GPS. I'm a touch screen guy, so that was my reason for choosing it over the 62s. Once you get your screens customized to your liking, save it as a new profile. I find that for different uses, I want different information displaced on each page, so I have several custom profiles. Plus, did you know that you can set up your profiles to display different maps as well? I've got routable maps set up for my two automotive profiles - one for regular driving, one for driving while geocaching, non-routable topo maps set up for geocaching and hiking. Map details and track sensitivities set up differently for each. Granted, all of these features are available on all of the current models (I think the 62 and eTrex line supports profiles), but the interface on the oregon just seems so much more natural to me. There are some improvements with the new Oregon 600 series, but I'm not going to go trading up my 450t quite yet.

Thanks. Also is there a way to report the found items from the GPS? Or just do it one by one on my phone or the website?

As already mentioned, this unit will create a field note each time you press the found or did not find button. When you return home, connect the USB cable, upload field notes, then do your logging from that page. If you start getting really active and have a lot to log on one day, you can even publish your logs via GSAK.

I know to expect some jumping but my iPhone jumps like 80ft but it says it's within 16 accurate. I do log the attemps on my GPS just have get them to the website thanks I will have to try that later

A lot of folks read that figure as "accuracy". It has little (if anything) to do with true accuracy.

What that figure is telling you is that the device is "guessing" as to any possible Estimated Positional Error (EPE), due to a wide array of variables -- mostly satellite signal strength, number of satellites locked and the satellite constellation it sees.

Just because it shows 16 ft, does not necessarily mean that it is accurate to within 16 ft.

Want to learn about EPE? Put on your engineering hat, this EPE link explains it fairly(?) well.

I've been using the 450 for a few years now and have dropped it numerous times, accidently driven over it, left it in a creek overnight and it still keeps on running perfectly. I've thought about an upgrade to the new 600 series but am waiting until the bugs are worked out. Aside from some minor bugs with the Oregon 450 (occasionally shuts off automatically, lag on loading new PQ's) I have decided to keep using it and have purchased another one as a back up. It is extremely easy to load and easy to use. I like that I can have multiple sd cards loaded with PQ's and just have to change the card when I'm in a different area. I know the new series can hold a lot more gpx files but I have no issues with what I'm currently using.