Any ideas to creatively hide a soda bottle preform?

Bore a hole just large enough to take the preform into a log.

Hide it in the end of a tubular steel 5 bar gate.

Tie a brick to it and leave it in a pond/stream/lake so that the preform floats just below the water level.

Sand it, and then peel some bark off a suitable branch of a similar diameter and glue the bark onto the preform, then hang it in the tree where the branch came from - would be very difficult to spot if done right.

Bore a hole just large enough to take the preform into a log.

Hide it in the end of a tubular steel 5 bar gate.

Tie a brick to it and leave it in a pond/stream/lake so that the preform floats just below the water level.

Sand it, and then peel some bark off a suitable branch of a similar diameter and glue the bark onto the preform, then hang it in the tree where the branch came from - would be very difficult to spot if done right.

Those are all interesting

I sand mine, then apply a quick camo paint job.

I take a bit of stiff wire, wrap twice around the body, then up a couple inches, then over into a hook.

Instant hanging micro.

Exactly like this.

I use a satin hunter green for plastics and once in a blue moon camo tape. You can then use spray glue and roll it in leaves, etc. Its probably the king of the micros followed by the match holder ( there is no gasket on the preform to fail )

Are there any stores that sell these? I'd like to be able to pick some up as opposed to ordering online.

The usual geocaching online stores should have them. EDIT: ok, you didn't want them online. Then you have to find some beverage producer and talk them into giving you some (I got them as a gift). Those PET preforms are made for them to been blown up to PET bottles just before beeing filled. It's easier & cheaper to transport them instead of cleaned bottles. They are manufactured from granulate (which itself comes from shreddered old PET bottles, that's the recycling process). You might order them from those manufacturer, but they usually sell in "truck loads" units. Maybe worth a try, however. At least for a real power trail... :)

BTW: the industrial price for the preforms probably is tenths to hundredths cheaper than in a geocaching store (but remember to have lots of storage area ready when the truck comes).

Allthough I'd prefer larger boxes, those "petlings" (as they're called in the GC community here) are the best you can use for micros. Thus said, they're available in larger sizes, too.

Edited by BenOw

Does anyone have and ideas to creatively hide a soda bottle preform . I have been thinking about it but I have no ideas.

Have it bronzed and attach it to a statue. ph34r.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

Speaking of bronzing... Anyone in here familiar with the process? A while back I wanted to have a film can bronzed, so I could affix it to a crappy cache trophy. It was to be awarded to the winner of a crappy cache contest I had in mind. I emailed a place that does baby shoes, to see if it would be possible, but I never heard back from them.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I had a thought... Have you heard of the expanding foam called Great Stuff? It's for filling holes/cracks around the house.

You could make a blob with the preform inside and paint it to resemble a rock.

I did this for a cache where I turned it into a gigantic booger.

using duct tape, attache it to a stick about two feet long. Find a hollow in a tree (base or further up) push the stick up so that the preform is out of sight, with only the end of the stick visible. prop it against whatever part of the tree is available.

I've seen this done with smaller containers, too.

I recalled there's a store called "The School Box" in my area, so I put in some key words on their site and found a couple options:

http://shop.schoolbox.com/7801-baby-soda-bottles-and-trade-batbsb150

http://shop.schoolbox.com/17779-test-tube-adventures-bat4420

http://shop.schoolbox.com/22381-jumbo-test-tubes-with-stand-ler2788

The first one seems like the best option...though they are more expensive than buying online from the other places you folks linked.

I may actually pick up that first one since I could probably have some fun with my kids doing some of those science 'experiments'.

Edited by J Grouchy