Cache making etiquette..

KingAFK

We Geocache as a group of 2-8 people when we are out..Daily!

We now would like to hide some caches. Would it be proper to make a "Team" account and list the caches on that account or should we just place them on our personal ones?

Also are there any badges/souvenirs for placing caches?

We are all family and we do this as family time.

Thanks a ton!

Hi and welcome to the game. As to your first question,, you can do both. You also can put under "a cache hidden by_____" just about any name you choose. The default is your account name. I would suggest what ever you think works the best or easiest for you.

Question number 2,,, none that I know of

A few things off the top of my head to consider:

• If you set up a team account, who is responsible for reading the logs and carrying out maintenance?
  • If you set up a team account, can the members of your team log the caches on their own accounts?
  • If you hide the caches on one of your accounts, can the others log it? Can that person log it?
  • Can any members of your team be eligible for FTF? (If that's something you're bothered about)

Now there isn't a definitive right answer for any of these, but it's up to you as a group to decide. I'd suggest you agree before you start.

I was thinking..

Set up an account "Team___".

Emails from the account will go to all of us (watch list.) Everyone I cache with is local family to me. So then we all (but mainly myself, my wife and her sister who lives with us) will maintain.

FTF to first person who isn't on our team.

..I don't know, maybe we can only write notes. Maybe "Found It".

Thoughts?

We Geocache as a group of 2-8 people when we are out..Daily!

We now would like to hide some caches. Would it be proper to make a "Team" account and list the caches on that account or should we just place them on our personal ones?

We are all family and we do this as family time.

Thanks a ton!

Badges are a product of several third party stats programs. Geocaching.com does not award badges. They do not award souvenirs or other eye candy based on placed caches because they do not want people placing a poor cache that won't be maintained simply to get that reward.

Geocaching.com does not have any souvenirs for ownership, as has been pointed out. BadgeGen.com shows 3 different owner badges: "The Cache Owner", starting at 10 caches hidden; "The Favorite Cacher", starting at 25 favorite points received; and "The Event Host" starting at 1 event hosted. I don't know what other third-party badges would be available.

Edited by Kacher82

I'm wondering whether you should use a team account for you finds, if you go out daily with 8 people.

As to your actual question, I think you've got enough good answers. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the team and just create caches as individuals, but that's me.

My one request is that if you do create caches as a team, either with a team account or by listing a made up team as the CO, then none of you should log those caches as found. I mean, it's not a deadly sin or anything, but if you hide a cache as a team, then any member of the team finding the cache raises questions about whether you motives for planting caches is selfish.