Amusing curiosity..

foxtrot_xray

Noticed something today while doing some database maintenance..

There are NO PIDs that start with the letter "I".

At first, I thought, 'well, that could be because it could be mistaken for the number '1''. However, there ARE stations that start with the letter 'O'.

Go figure.

You are mixing apples and oranges here with that comparison. For a station that starts with "I" Try Here in southern Nevada (Clark County). :D

John

John, you are thinking of the disk name, Foxtrot was looking at PIDs and he is correct, there are no PIDS starting with "I".

Here is a PID map that Zhanna did years ago. It shows that there is indeed a method to the PID numbering madness and that there are "O" PIDs but no "I" PIDs.

Has anyone else noticed that these PIDS must have been assigned when they computerized, all at one time (in my area the PIDs are subcategorized into number ranges, with tri-stations being in the higher, e.g. 3000+ range). After the initial conversion new marks were added starting with "A" and without regard to the original scheme. They appear to be up to about "DF" now. I just got back from a trip to Illinois and the area I was hunting had tons of "D" marks, most set post-2009.

John, you are thinking of the disk name, Foxtrot was looking at PIDs and he is correct, there are no PIDS starting with "I".

Here is a PID map that Zhanna did years ago. It shows that there is indeed a method to the PID numbering madness and that there are "O" PIDs but no "I" PIDs.

Has anyone else noticed that these PIDS must have been assigned when they computerized, all at one time (in my area the PIDs are subcategorized into number ranges, with tri-stations being in the higher, e.g. 3000+ range). After the initial conversion new marks were added starting with "A" and without regard to the original scheme. They appear to be up to about "DF" now. I just got back from a trip to Illinois and the area I was hunting had tons of "D" marks, most set post-2009.

Foxtrot said there are no PIDs starting with "I", but then went on to say the are "Stations" that start with the letter "O". I took that to mean "station designations" or names.

John

Not a problem John. I was surprised that Foxtrot wasn't aware of Zhanna's map but he must have come on board after she became less active. She and Richard still seem to hunt marks but she isn't nearly as active as she used to be and her website isn't updated very often. I couldn't even find the link to the PID map on it but instead relied on a search of this forum and found the link from 2006.

Based on a quick search of the database here it seems there are both "O" and "I" station names. I guess when they run a level line all letters are equally loved!

Foxtrot said there are no PIDs starting with "I", but then went on to say the are "Stations" that start with the letter "O". I took that to mean "station designations" or names.

John

Sorry John - I didn't use that term clearly enough. By 'stations that start with', I meant to say 'stations with a PID that starts with'. I was being lazy, sorry. :)

I'm aware of the USGS line running that no 'I's or 'O's are to be used, though!

Not a problem John. I was surprised that Foxtrot wasn't aware of Zhanna's map but he must have come on board after she became less active. She and Richard still seem to hunt marks but she isn't nearly as active as she used to be and her website isn't updated very often. I couldn't even find the link to the PID map on it but instead relied on a search of this forum and found the link from 2006.

Based on a quick search of the database here it seems there are both "O" and "I" station names. I guess when they run a level line all letters are equally loved!

I had forgotten about that map! :)

Intersting, no X, Y, Z either, but I do have 16 (yes, only 15) stations with a PID starting with 'W' - 9 in South Carolina, and 6 in Wyoming (WA0170, for example).

--Mike.

I couldn't even find the link to the PID map on it

It's under "Resources" > "Maps and Diagrams" in the lefthand navigation bar.

but instead relied on a search of this forum and found the link from 2006.

You were able to do a search that included the term "PID"? I've always gotten an error message when I've tried to search for any words or acronyms of fewer than four characters. Really helpful when trying to find geocaching or benchmarking information for Mac computers or GPS devices. :angry:

Patty

You were able to do a search that included the term "PID"? I've always gotten an error message when I've tried to search for any words or acronyms of fewer than four characters. Really helpful when trying to find geocaching or benchmarking information for Mac computers or GPS devices. :angry:

It didn't even occur to me to think that but yes, it worked when I put in "pid map". Maybe if you have two words??