Swag Advice?

FoxPanda

Hi! I'm really new to geocaching and I haven't begun to search for my first cache yet, because I want to get prepared first! I've really been thinking about the kind of swag I want to leave for trades. I really want to leave a sort of signature item, so I had the idea of leaving a sort of little trinket pouch, full of things like old buttons, coins, beads etc, with a hand-made pin badge/button with something appropriate to my username on.

I'm just unsure whether this is appropriate/not a good idea. I tried to think of something I would like to find in a cache (whether now or when I was a kid, lol), but maybe what I think is a good idea is not so great to everyone else? I really don't know and some opinions would be super helpful!

That sounds extremely nice as a signature item.

But how many of them are you willing to make? If you find 100 caches, are you going to leave one in every cache, or only in the caches you really like?

I wouldn't worry too much about trade items or signature items at the beginning. Find a few caches first, just to see if geocaching is something you'll continue to enjoy. And don't expect too much from trade items: most have very little cash value.

Yeah I would probably not make too many and leave them in caches I particularly like. I'm not really bothered about trades so much as just leaving something someone else might enjoy. I will take your advice though on getting out and finding some! I assumed I would enjoy it but I guess I should really find out first. A pity the weather here is so bad or I might have just gone now :D Thanks for the help!

Hi! I'm really new to geocaching and I haven't begun to search for my first cache yet, because I want to get prepared first! I've really been thinking about the kind of swag I want to leave for trades. I really want to leave a sort of signature item, so I had the idea of leaving a sort of little trinket pouch, full of things like old buttons, coins, beads etc, with a hand-made pin badge/button with something appropriate to my username on.

I'm just unsure whether this is appropriate/not a good idea. I tried to think of something I would like to find in a cache (whether now or when I was a kid, lol), but maybe what I think is a good idea is not so great to everyone else? I really don't know and some opinions would be super helpful!

It's a great idea. Go for it. My favorite swag finds are personalized items.

I'm not really bothered about trades so much as just leaving something someone else might enjoy. I will take your advice though on getting out and finding some!

Your trinket pouch sounds great! Bring a couple of them with you, because you certainly will want to make a trade sometime, so it's good to have a cool item on hand. When I find a nice cache and wish to leave an item, and the cache is packed full, I trade for an item occupying lots of room. I also trade for things like bubble soap, lip balm, and those gel toys that expand in water -- before they cause a mess for the Cache Owner.

Edited by kunarion

I am also looking forward to picking this hobby up I was thinking of little trinkets I could leave. I have an old lord of the rings game with many hand painted by me(not very well) figures that I was going to get rid of anyway so I could put trade some of those would that be good??

I too am starting out and would go crazy if someone left mini's in a cache..lol..I play Dungeon and Dragons on Wednesday nights and now you gave me some ideas :)

I surly can't be the only geocacher that plays role playing games.

But how many of them are you willing to make? If you find 100 caches, are you going to leave one in every cache, or only in the caches you really like?

If they find 100 caches, chances are 90 of them will be micros, so no worries there 😜

No, I'm sure there's a lot of cross-nerdism going on 😄

Edited by Chief301

I also was thinking of a signature item to leave in caches, leaving one in every cache could get expensive and since there are tons of caches that are too small for items, I agree with leaving them in caches you particularly like or even when you happen to be FTF on a cache as well if there is room.

I am gonna look into getting coins or the like made with my caching name and family crest on them for my signature item.

Yeah I played a little as a kid but not played for years so thought this would be better than going to charity maybe I could sign the bottom somehow.

I won't be painting any more I don't think so mine would be limited edition one of a kind as i was rubbish at painting they all look different lol

I have found my first few caches now and i think personalised little trinkets in some of your favourites is a great idea

Edited by green-sparkle

Your intent is good, but lots of luck finding caches big enough to leave anything in. I have a bag full of goodies that I'm having trouble getting rid of.

chances are that any cache that would be a favorite will also be large enough to leave something in. So if his bag is small enough for a medium sized Px bottle, then he should be set.

I just started too. I have tons of Entertainment coupons that I won't be using, a lot of BOGO (ie- Subway, Papa John's Pizza, McDonalds, coupons for mini-golf)

I thought people might like them.

Do seasoned geocachers think the coupons are a good choice for swag?

I don't leave them if the container is wet.

Thanks.

Madd.

I just started too. I have tons of Entertainment coupons that I won't be using, a lot of BOGO (ie- Subway, Papa John's Pizza, McDonalds, coupons for mini-golf)

Thanks.

Madd.

They're good if there's no expiration date.

Thanks.

Madd.

I am using the new book. They expire a year from now.

Thanks.

Madd.

I am using the new book. They expire a year from now.

I'd like to find some of those, but be aware some caches go weeks or months in between finds.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am new to caching so I usually find the caches that are found quite often. :rolleyes: My coupons do not expire until Nov 2014- so I think they are OK to leave behind.

I don't leave them if I see the container is wet. No use of wasting a good coupon.

Just to be safe, I will be sure to put each one in small sandwich bag before leaving them in other containers even if they are dry at the time I find them.

In the beginning I started off by leaving Mustache Brads that I bought from Hobby Lobby. The nice thing about these is that they fit nicely in even the smallest of containers.

The other day I was out and lost a battle with some thorny bushes near a cache. Thankfully, to my surprise, someone had left a band-aid in the cache. This, to me, was brilliant. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought some plain jane band-aids. Not only are they relatively cheep for giving away, but they're practical. I now leave these behind, but still leave the mustaches when a band-aid will not fit.

The other day I was out and lost a battle with some thorny bushes near a cache. Thankfully, to my surprise, someone had left a band-aid in the cache. This, to me, was brilliant. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought some plain jane band-aids. Not only are they relatively cheep for giving away, but they're practical. I now leave these behind, but still leave the mustaches when a band-aid will not fit.

Hopefully in plastic bags.

Last we did maintenance, nearly every hide had at least one dirty, torn-covered bandaid in it.

- Really? Someone would use it?

A small, complete first aid kit can be had at the dollar store and you leave a bandaid?

Since I'm on a rant...

When you can buy an entire bag of silly bandz at the dollar store for two bucks, one silly band is not a trade item.

Sorry. OT, we like to find sig items and often trade for 'em.

Last we did maintenance, nearly every hide had at least one dirty, torn-covered bandaid in it.

A small, complete first aid kit can be had at the dollar store and you leave a bandaid?

Since I'm on a rant...

When you can buy an entire bag of silly bandz at the dollar store for two bucks, one silly band is not a trade item.

Yes, the band-aid idea, although well intentioned, is probably not a healthy trade item. I doubt it would be sterile after sitting in a container (most likely not clean and water tight) outdoors for days/weeks/months (even in a baggie).

However, I really like the moustache brad idea. Cute and funny (a stache for the cache) and doesn't cost much (28 pieces for $4).

One thing not to put in a cache --- bubble liquid.

party-bubbles-pack-of-6.jpg

This summer I found a lovely large authentic lock n lock and wondered why the contents were so wet and icky, since real LnLs (not the knock-offs) do a great job of keeping the contents dry. Turned out that one of 2 bubble liquid containers in the cache had leaked. The cache was in a remote area and had been sitting for about 6 months in this condition. The liquid destroyed most of the contents of the box and the logbook.

Since I'm on a rant...

Yes, the band-aid idea, although well intentioned, is probably not a healthy trade item. I doubt it would be sterile after sitting in a container (most likely not clean and water tight) outdoors for days/weeks/months (even in a baggie).

However, I really like the moustache brad idea. Cute and funny (a stache for the cache) and doesn't cost much (28 pieces for $4).

i didn't think about them falling apart like that. it does make sense though. welp, i'll stick with the mustaches then.

Since I'm on a rant...

i didn't think about them falling apart like that. it does make sense though. welp, i'll stick with the mustaches then.

I thought the moustaches were a clever idea.

I'm pretty new to caching, but I try and leave the best items I can and a couple of times I have left multiple items and took nothing. My "signature" item is to leave para-cord bracelets that I make and/or paracord key fobs in various colors. I make them in various sizes for adults and kids and they only cost me about $.50 to make along with about five minutes of my time.

My husband and I are new to caching as well but we leave a 'signature' item as well. I ordered a collection of small fossils that comes in a plastic bag with a card telling about the fossil. We put a sticker with our 'name' on the back of the bag and leave it in the cache. The fossils include items such as pieces of dinosaur bones, shark teeth, fossilized ferns, sand dollars, ammonites and even fossilized dinosaur poop, lol!

fossil-collection-18-3.jpg

My husband and I are new to caching as well but we leave a 'signature' item as well. I ordered a collection of small fossils that comes in a plastic bag with a card telling about the fossil. We put a sticker with our 'name' on the back of the bag and leave it in the cache. The fossils include items such as pieces of dinosaur bones, shark teeth, fossilized ferns, sand dollars, ammonites and even fossilized dinosaur poop, lol!

fossil-collection-18-3.jpg

That's awesome!!! Hope you leave some in my area LOL... I would love to find something cool like that.

I make the paracord items myself as well, though I don't often leave them as a sig item, I do however make them and give them as a FTF prize for my caches.

That's awesome!!! Hope you leave some in my area LOL... I would love to find something cool like that.

I make the paracord items myself as well, though I don't often leave them as a sig item, I do however make them and give them as a FTF prize for my caches.

Thanks! I hope people like them. Paracord bracelets are cool! Great idea!

Just found out that I've been putting the fossils in a very...ummmm....adamant christian's caches. He has a series of caches that are close to our house and our first few finds have been his hides. We've logged our finds with a compliment on the area and stated that we put a fossil in the cache. Last night, I was looking through his other caches and found out that he is evangelical. Today, we found a cache of his with one of those greeting card type things that played 'Amazing Grace'. I hope he doesn't remove our 'evil' evolution fossils. Darn it, I don't want the 50 million year old dinosaur poop to be 'trashed out'. lol

Just found out that I've been putting the fossils in a very...ummmm....adamant christian's caches. He has a series of caches that are close to our house and our first few finds have been his hides. We've logged our finds with a compliment on the area and stated that we put a fossil in the cache. Last night, I was looking through his other caches and found out that he is evangelical. Today, we found a cache of his with one of those greeting card type things that played 'Amazing Grace'. I hope he doesn't remove our 'evil' evolution fossils. Darn it, I don't want the 50 million year old dinosaur poop to be 'trashed out'. lol

Don't sweat it. Most of us Evangelicals know the good Lord only created fossils to misdirect and confound skeptics, atheists, and eggheads. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Also remember that coupons can quickly turn into a wet mess in a cache as the seasons change (at least here on the Wet Coast). Put a few in a small ziplock bag and write on the outside "Good until such-and-such date". I'd trade for that :)

Yes, I agree with that, since I use mini origami stars as my sig item and they usually get wet.

We had a bunch of buttons made up with our name on them. We like to leave them and many collect all the different ones. Your idea sounds great and go ahead and do it. After a while of finding caches the swagg looses its fun (for us) Even my 15 year old daughter don't care much anymore. It is more about the adventure of finding them and the places you see. But still a good part of the game to leave good swagg. We now leave stuff much more then take anything. Every now and then there will be something that is cool so we will trade for it.

I am also looking forward to picking this hobby up I was thinking of little trinkets I could leave. I have an old lord of the rings game with many hand painted by me(not very well) figures that I was going to get rid of anyway so I could put trade some of those would that be good??

I too am starting out and would go crazy if someone left mini's in a cache..lol..I play Dungeon and Dragons on Wednesday nights and now you gave me some ideas :)

Wow, people still play Dungeon and Dragons? Haven't thought about that game for some 20+ years.

I leave handmade miniature food charms haha

I have made so many of these that I have no use to keep them ALL so I leave them at cache sites.

I'm going through my Blueberry Cheesecakes at this stage

but might change them as the season changes (ie pumpkins in winter, candy canes at Christmas, etc).

They're small enough to fit on my fingertip but not small enough for most of the micro's I've found so far though.

ETA: I dont usually take anything. Only thing I've taken to date is a TB to deposit in another cache this coming weekend :)

Edited by Rat_Tails

The pair of us will be travelling around the US for two months and plan to hit a couple of caches in each location we stay in. I have dozens of animal cards that one of the supermarkets were giving away. They have a photo of an Australian animal and a piece of information about it. I figured it might be a bit special to have something Aussie from the travelling Aussies ;)