10k for Christmas

Carbon Hunter

We crossed the threshold of 9000 active caches for South Africa last Saturday, 10 August 2013. At the current rate, we should reach 10000 on 23 Dec 2013.

Excluding events, 73.2% of all the South African caches ever published are still active.

Thanks to Danie and his ever-present stats - we look set to hit the active 10,000 cache mark in SA around Christmas.

Any guesses on the dates and who and where the cache may be?

You know when my estimated date is, but the where is an interesting one. To my surprise I today discovered that KZN has surpassed Gauteng and the Western Cape in the past year - more new caches have been published there than in any other province, even including all the additional Gauteng Power Series caches and other pseudo-power series.

You know when my estimated date is, but the where is an interesting one. To my surprise I today discovered that KZN has surpassed Gauteng and the Western Cape in the past year - more new caches have been published there than in any other province, even including all the additional Gauteng Power Series caches and other pseudo-power series.

Sorry for the late comment :)

Many of the KZN caches placed recently are also "Power Trail" caches. In particular, see the ZR, BR, SR, TMR, PGR and SRR series of caches. There are 141 caches in these series.

I doubt we'll reach that milestone in the next 3 days. I have some caches on my ignore list, so with some averaging my count indicates that we have reached 9850 active caches in the last few days.

Interestingly, across the rest of the continent we have another 1500 (1493 if I have it right) active caches.

We currently stand on 9862 active caches in South Africa. Although I expect the usual end of the year holiday surge, I agree with you - it is unlikely that we'll see 10000 this year.

The numbers for the whole of Africa:

South Africa:           9862
Canary Islands (Spain): 1348
Madeira (Portugal):      929
Other Spanish enclaves:    4
Continental Africa:     1730
Total:                 13873

We currently stand on 9862 active caches in South Africa. Although I expect the usual end of the year holiday surge, I agree with you - it is unlikely that we'll see 10000 this year.

The numbers for the whole of Africa:

South Africa:       	9862
Canary Islands (Spain): 1348
Madeira (Portugal):      929
Other Spanish enclaves:    4
Continental Africa: 	1730
Total:             	13873

Thanks Danie!!

Do the stats include the Indian Ocean Islands? (Madagascar, Comores, Seychelles, Mauritius / Reunion / other French Islands)

PT

Do the stats include the Indian Ocean Islands? (Madagascar, Comores, Seychelles, Mauritius / Reunion / other French Islands)

Yes, they are all (incorrectly!) lumped under Continental Africa in my list.

So there must be 200+ on the small islands. I can't find any country on the mainland 'Continental Africa' including Madagascar that I have left off my list. This is tricky business trying to be accurate with stats even when I expected my error margin to be less than 50.

So there must be 200+ on the small islands. I can't find any country on the mainland 'Continental Africa' including Madagascar that I have left off my list. This is tricky business trying to be accurate with stats even when I expected my error margin to be less than 50.

See my posting in the Statistics thread for a list of all the African countries/regions with caches.