Anybody Recognize This Thing?

Thot

Has anybody seen one of these things and know what it is?

While out yesterday I found this thing (see photo) at the location where a benchmark was supposed to be. I found no benchmark but I found this where the benchmark was supposed to be. I didn't measure it but it looks to be between 20 and 30 inches tall

ii9q.jpg

Edited by Thot

Has anybody seen one of these things and know what it is?

While out yesterday I found this thing (see photo) at the location where a benchmark was supposed to be. I found no benchmark but I found this where the benchmark was supposed to be. I didn't measure it but it looks to be between 20 and 30 inches tall

Which geodetic mapping point is supposed to be there - that is, if it has a PID? MEL

Looks like the road was widened at some time after the last Power Squadron recovery.

AW2067 HISTORY - 19910615 GOOD USPSQD

AW2067 HISTORY - 19980307 GOOD USPSQD

AW2067 HISTORY - 20030206 GOOD USPSQD

AW2067 HISTORY - 20040213 GOOD USPSQD

AW2067 HISTORY - 20050426 GOOD USPSQD

The 28 Feb 2006 Not Found log by TPRJones is nicely written.

"Conditions have changed. "WOODEN GATE" and "FENCE" have been replaced with a metal fence that appears to be set back several feet. "PAVED AND GRAVELED DRIVEWAY" appears to have been recently repaved, and may be offset several feet from prior location. Given the description, the location of this disk is most likely either under a new driveway pavement or under a not-quite-as-new telephone pole, depending on which of the items listed you measure from."

Since this is my first attempt at one of these, I'm not confident enough about this to mark it destroyed.

My best guess from the original calls would put it at:

N 29 37 49.97 W 095 10 31.13

(not sure I measured from the correct driveway - EAST OF THE CENTER OF A PAVED AND GRAVELED DRIVEWAY LEADING NORTH TO ADDRESS 1349, )

kayakbird

I think you are looking east of the actual location, where the coords put you. Bench marks can be quite a distance from the coordinates and I think this is one of them. If you look at the image I uploaded to the log, I measured the distance from the driveway mentioned in the description and it puts the mark west of where you were looking. I would guess that quite a bit has changed since the last recovery but there are a few things that remain, and the driveway to 1349 is one of them. There are also fences at the edges of the property, but they are probably new and can't be counted on. Note that while the mark was exposed 6 inches in 1942 it is now about a foot below the level of the road. The description doesn't say it is below ground but it could well be.

I also posted a street view pic that shows SOMETHING about where the 161.1 foot mark from the driveway is. I can't tell what it is in the image, but it could be the concrete post. It could also be trash in the grass. I just looked again and I am pretty sure it is trash. However, I would definitely search for the mark in the brush at the corner of the fences. The biggest issue is how the street has been widened. If it was widened from the center or the south it should be near the fence corner as originally described. If it was widened to the north, then 32' is about at the curb. See the second street view pic for an interesting image.

"Conditions have changed. "WOODEN GATE" and "FENCE" have been replaced with a metal fence that appears to be set back several feet. "PAVED AND GRAVELED DRIVEWAY" appears to have been recently repaved, and may be offset several feet from prior location. Given the description, the location of this disk is most likely either under a new driveway pavement or under a not-quite-as-new telephone pole, depending on which of the items listed you measure from."

Since this is my first attempt at one of these, I'm not confident enough about this to mark it destroyed.

My best guess from the original calls would put it at:

N 29 37 49.97 W 095 10 31.13

(not sure I measured from the correct driveway - EAST OF THE CENTER OF A PAVED AND GRAVELED DRIVEWAY LEADING NORTH TO ADDRESS 1349, )

I concur with Kayakbird, since his results are the same as mine :). In Google Street View I could see the mailbox in the driveway and it IS indeed 1349. By following the line of the gravel driveway to the street you can get a good idea where the center line most likely used to be. Other than that he mades good points--nothing is the same as it was in the previous recoveries. The 161 feet is all you would have to go by.

Edited by mloser

Did you measure from the driveway of 1349? Kayakbird's coords and my Google Earth measuring put the mark in the same spot (in that dead-end driveway).

What is that thing in the driveway that I posted on the benchmark page? It is impossible to tell from the Google Street View pic.

Do you know how the road was widened, or even if it was? If it was widened to the north the mark is gone. If it was widened from the center the mark is exactly where the Kayakbird's coords place it. If it was widened to the south the mark is in the bushes near the fence corner.

Did you measure from the driveway of 1349? Kayakbird's coords and my Google Earth measuring put the mark in the same spot (in that dead-end driveway).

What is that thing in the driveway that I posted on the benchmark page?

There's nothing on that driveway. That must have been a piece of trash.

I'm reasonably (75%) sure the benchmark's gone. I didn't post here to get help finding it I was trying to see of anybody knew what that is in the picture I posted in case is was some odd kind of benchmark.

Edited by Thot