Sending a travel bug to someone

Seaman and Clark

I get the concept of travel bugs and their goals such as "travel around the world" or "travel to a certain country". I also read that when it reaches its destination, you can give it a new goal but no one is supposed to just keep it. Can I give a travel bug a goal to reach a certain part of the country in hopes that my niece can eventually get it and keep it, or is that not allowed?

Sure! That's perfectly fine and a fun goal. I've seen many bugs with a goal to make it to a target cache so that a target person can retrieve it, to keep or whatever. See this one of mine, which is similar: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3720880

Once a bug reaches its goal, some people change its goal to make it back to its home base, or even contact the last person and ask it to be mailed to them if there's a sentimental attachment. Some change the goal to simply travel around.

Just be realistic and realize that a very small proportion of travelers meet their goal; most disappear along the way. So don't send out anything with emotional value, or perhaps send out several travelers with the same goal and release them in scattered places and times, maybe in the form of a "race." You might have better luck that way.

Have fun!

--Q

One note of caution though. Even with a well spelled-out destination, be aware that trackables still wander (a lot!).

You mean like my TB3DNWQ trackable that traveled 61,000 miles and visited many exciting countries, but could not find Alabama? Or the TB3CJ57 coin I sent to tsun, that after 24,000 miles, has yet to land in Montana? :laughing:

Sure, it is fine to send out a trackable with a specific location/person destination. Just understand that sometimes the trackable takes a more interesting journey. I think it just adds to the fun!